Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Listen to Fauci, not some fake news. This will get worse before it flattens.
Fauci has a career of alarmism. I don't disrespect him as much as some of my friends do but I doubt he's ever seen an actual patient or been out in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 06:25 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
You know, they have a political agenda, but they are so damn dumb that they believe we are too. Amplify the truth.
They just might be right from what I’m seeing.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:23 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
The percent / per capita / etc numbers bug me a little, but I don't see it as sensationalism. I see it - mainly - as the poor math skills of reporters, mixed in with some genuine info. For instance, when China had 3000 dead (ahem), they had "the most." And a billion people. So when Italy passed 300 dead - they had more than China...right? Ya see how that kind of headline won't make sense to most people. It's not always a trick of some kind. It's just numbers aimed at a world that largely doesn't understand numbers, including the author of the article.
Italy has ten thousand dead (rounding) - and 1/6th the people - so when the USA passes fifty thousand dead - will you still say "Italy is still number 1 in deaths!" Of course not.

There is way too much nitpicking right now. Most folks should be preparing for the next "whatever is next" in this disaster because short of staying home, very little else you can do.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:28 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
The percent / per capita / etc numbers bug me a little, but I don't see it as sensationalism. I see it - mainly - as the poor math skills of reporters, mixed in with some genuine info. For instance, when China had 3000 dead (ahem), they had "the most." And a billion people. So when Italy passed 300 dead - they had more than China...right? Ya see how that kind of headline won't make sense to most people. It's not always a trick of some kind. It's just numbers aimed at a world that largely doesn't understand numbers, including the author of the article.
Italy has ten thousand dead (rounding) - and 1/6th the people - so when the USA passes fifty thousand dead - will you still say "Italy is still number 1 in deaths!" Of course not.

There is way too much nitpicking right now. Most folks should be preparing for the next "whatever is next" in this disaster because short of staying home, very little else you can do.
Testing per capita is a bigger deal than deaths per capita in a situation like this. Testing per capita is important because we need to test a sufficient percentage of the population to understand the magnitude of the spread and formulate a response accordingly. In other words, it has a statistical value insofar that it has a practical use. Testing "more than any other country" is virtually meaningless outside of the context of relative population.

Deaths per capita will help us understand the death rate - which is interesting, but in many ways much less useful. Plus, at the end of the day, if your mother or father is one of the 100,000+ Americans that die, its cold comfort knowing that China has a larger population than the US.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:41 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I actually realize that that is a stupid question.

The mainstream print media is blaring all over the front pages of their papers and the broadcast media is leading their newscasts with the headlines that the The US is the top country in the world for coronaviruses!!

Why are they not reporting that the US is number 30 in Coronavirus cases/million of population and number 20 in number of deaths per 1 million while most of the nations above us in these grim statistics are first world European nations?

Also significant is the fact that over the past four days the number of cases in the US is flattening substantially.

Why do I have to find this incredibly significant news on my own???

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
You had to find out that our population is bigger than other countries? In general there ia aversion to publish stories that can make people want to relax and might contribute to a worsening.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Because the media is trying to manipulate people, that's why.

Turn that crap off. Seriously. Cancel your TV subscription and pick up a book.
Slight correction:

The media has manipulated people, and they want the panic to keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies