Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 09:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I actually realize that that is a stupid question.

The mainstream print media is blaring all over the front pages of their papers and the broadcast media is leading their newscasts with the headlines that the The US is the top country in the world for coronaviruses!!

Why are they not reporting that the US is number 30 in Coronavirus cases/million of population and number 20 in number of deaths per 1 million while most of the nations above us in these grim statistics are first world European nations?

Also significant is the fact that over the past four days the number of cases in the US is flattening substantially.

Why do I have to find this incredibly significant news on my own???

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Why does Trump tell us the US is doing more testing than South Korea, ignoring the per Capita difference?

You are most certainly mistaken that the number of cases is flattening in the US. Numbers are growing by the minute.

Do you think the Army Corps of Engineers we’re finally deployed to convert convention centers, parks and hotels throughout the US into hospitals because cases are flattening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I actually realize that that is a stupid question.

The mainstream print media is blaring all over the front pages of their papers and the broadcast media is leading their newscasts with the headlines that the The US is the top country in the world for coronaviruses!!

Why are they not reporting that the US is number 30 in Coronavirus cases/million of population and number 20 in number of deaths per 1 million while most of the nations above us in these grim statistics are first world European nations?

Also significant is the fact that over the past four days the number of cases in the US is flattening substantially.

Why do I have to find this incredibly significant news on my own???

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
The media are very disappointed that the USA death rate per infection is very low compared to the Western European nations and remain hopeful that the USA death rate will take a huge jump....I suspect they're going to get even more disappointed as the death rate in the USA continues dropping.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:49 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
So you'd prefer they report the % infected instead of the actual number? (not arguing, just clarifying)

This is not a media thing. It's an interpretation thing. The USA is ahead in tested positive cases, by sheer number. That is not debatable, is not wrong, and is not hype.

The reporting of "number of cases" is unreliable now. There are more cases than reported. But "how many more" depends on where you live. If there were one million more cases - how long will it take to run five million tests to find them? So there is no way to know - but if there were - then we might find out the number of USA cases is ahead in numbers AND percent. Of all the stuff going on, this headline is not something to lose sleep over.

Regarding the "manipulation" by the media - personal observation these past four weeks that very few people own a calculator or know what numbers are used for. The media included. I've watched our own local (ohio) pressers - and the media is, eh, centrist? But their questions are framed from ignorance - not politics. Sorry. It's not meant to be an insult. I mean - the reporter is not "math" enough to go home and sort the fact from fiction - then ask a smart question for clarification. This is not a "normal" situation. And the "normal" roving reporter skill set will result in headlines that seem biased one way or the other. They are. To the reporter's personal understanding of things, which is turning out to be really bleak.

You are waaaaaay overestimating their skill-set right now. I see it on the national news. The local news. And on this forum. A whole lotta people cannot do math. They're not capable of "manipulating" anyone. Their headlines (again, local) are generated straight from the fear and bad vibes with which they walked out of the presser.

Not everyone, of course - the bigger the organization - the better the skills, presumably - but I've seen plenty of errors, and it isn't always political. Just bad math. Or not wanting to believe this can happen. It's happening.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:49 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,476 times
As others here have suggested, turn off the news. We cut cable years ago. The only news we watch is local Channel 10 or 12 (although 12 changed their format to a cluttered screen trying to look like a cable news making it difficult to watch). Now we don't even watch local news as most local news takes a back seat to the China Virus. But we are enjoying Better Call Saul on NETFLIX.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:50 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Same reason Trump was saying the same thing about numbers of people tested.

The media is trying to tell the real news, and put things in perspective. Trying to combat Trump's propaganda to keep people safe. I guess if he's not going to do his job, someone does.

I also didn't see on the mainstream media about Trump Admin sending so much PPE to China, but apparently it happened.... With him doing so many things wrong, and so few things right, they are forced to pick and choose, there are only 24 hours in a day.

Kinda-sorta kidding. I don't know. I watch the AM news and the PM news. I ignore the biased media (Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc.) altogether, and I verify my info on multiple online sources. I generally trust people like Dr. Fauci, even though there is a proactive right-wing effort to discredit him. I don't even understand that, he might be Trump's best ally right now.
perhaps your multiple online sources can cross-verify this statement.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:52 AM

78,394 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
To truly get an accurate number, every person would have to be tested and then re-tested 2-3 weeks later, (this is not practical or possible).
You could get a pretty decent estimate using sampling techniques.

Imagine that I give you a back with red marbles and white marbles (infected, not-infected).
Even with 300million marbles in the bag you don't have to look at all of them before you get a pretty good idea of how many are red and how many are white.

How you take the sampling could be challenging but beyond even that there are other techniques that can be used.

All that being said, estimates using # hospitalized and #dead can also approximate total infections. (like indirectly measuring a black hole by measuring the stars circling it.)

Old 03-30-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Didn't Hillary Clinton congratulate Trump the other day by saying that the US is finally number one in something, the Corona virus death toll?

Way to play politics with peoples lives Hills but then again you are used to doing that.

I'm sure that the media is going to carry this virus as front page news right up until November.
And Trump tells us we were doing more testing than South Korea, while ignoring the huge diff is size of population.

People choose absolute vs per capita rate to describe events.

For example, no shortage of media has focused on the absolute number of gun homicides in Chicago, while ignoring it does not make top ten on a per capita basis.

One could actually get more granular with gun homicides and base it on the very local populations of the communities within a city, any city, where most gun homicides occur and where it is far more likely a majority of the community are carrying.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. Go straight to the source (i.e. watch the full video, read the full transcript, etc., yourself) as you can't trust the media to accurately report a damn thing.
Any media...

Most folk glance at headlines or accept a sound bite and will not invest time and energy into a transcript.

People tend to believe anything when it seems to validate their perceptions. This is as non- partisan as it gets.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:59 AM

88,998 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And Trump tells us we were doing more testing than South Korea, while ignoring the huge diff is size of population.

People choose absolute vs per capita rate to describe events.

For example, no shortage of media has focused on the absolute number of gun homicides in Chicago, while ignoring it does not make top ten on a per capita basis.

One could actually get more granular with gun homicides and base it on the very local populations of the communities within a city, any city, where most gun homicides occur and where it is far more likely a majority of the community are carrying.
One could get more granular, too, if the rate of gun homicide perps by demographic group were reported, a major reason why it isn't. The truth isn't pretty.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:08 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why does Trump tell us the US is doing more testing than South Korea, ignoring the per Capita difference?

You are most certainly mistaken that the number of cases is flattening in the US. Numbers are growing by the minute.

Do you think the Army Corps of Engineers we’re finally deployed to convert convention centers, parks and hotels throughout the US into hospitals because cases are flattening?
This morning, the cases over the last four days were 17224, 18691, 19452, 18432. That is most certainly a flattening curve in the rate of new cases. They have updated to reflect Sunday's numbers to be 19913 new cases. The last four days the average rate of increase in the US was 672 cases/day, the prior 4 days the rate of increase was 1,759 cases/day.

Perhaps it is a blip, I hope not.

As for the other crap you posted, I don't know why he said that, perhaps you can start a thread on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies