Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 11:40 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
How 'bout this: By tomorrow, the corona will have killed more people than the USA lost in Vietnam.
You're off by more than a factor of 10. But you may become right, in a matter of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
For the people that doubt it, I only wish I could take them to my hospital for 1 day. And then transport them back in time to the worst flu season in the last 25 years, where they wouldn’t even notice it was flu season in the hospital.
I don't doubt it at all. And I don't doubt that without shutdown-measures, the situation would indeed be 10X worse, as you say... or possibly even worse than that. Nor do I take lightly the suffering of the afflicted, or the heroic efforts of the responders.

What I doubt is our cumulative capacity to really make a difference. What I doubt is that there's anything that could be done, to avoid an eventual 100M casualties (or whatever it is) worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
...If 80% of the population were to get this, that is roughly 3 million deaths in this country, alone. Is that acceptable? ...
I don't know. Certainly it's not something to blithely dismiss. But do we really have a better alternative?

We can't simply conclude that your scenario is so heinous and horrible, that we should do absolutely anything imaginable, to prevent it. More importantly, we can not conclude that if we do actually do that "absolutely anything", that we will successfully prevent it.

You yourself mentioned that patients dependent on a ventilator will probably die anyway, not to mention suffer in the process. So I ask, without malice or conceit or cynicism: suppose that we had no ventilators at all? Suppose that our medical sophistication so collapsed, that we reverted to leaches and incantations. Would the casualty-count be all that much higher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 12:16 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sorry, you won't be able to do that..... social distancing.
Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the nature of the media is that it PROFITS from stuff like this.
How are the news media profiting? Reporters would be doing their jobs every day, regardless of the topic.

Broadcast news media, where ratings are up for the national outlets because so many are at home all day, is hiring extra staff to keep up with the ever-changing news and 24-hour demand. So even if they can demand more money from advertisers, that will balance out with extra expenses in covering the pandemic.

Print media is getting hit hard. Newspapers across the country are furloughing staff, cutting pages, reducing frequency because of reduced ad revenues. It's not going to be pretty.

https://www.poynter.org/business-wor...and-furloughs/

Old 04-01-2020, 12:39 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
You're off by more than a factor of 10. But you may become right, in a matter of weeks.

I don't doubt it at all. And I don't doubt that without shutdown-measures, the situation would indeed be 10X worse, as you say... or possibly even worse than that. Nor do I take lightly the suffering of the afflicted, or the heroic efforts of the responders.

What I doubt is our cumulative capacity to really make a difference. What I doubt is that there's anything that could be done, to avoid an eventual 100M casualties (or whatever it is) worldwide.

I don't know. Certainly it's not something to blithely dismiss. But do we really have a better alternative?

We can't simply conclude that your scenario is so heinous and horrible, that we should do absolutely anything imaginable, to prevent it. More importantly, we can not conclude that if we do actually do that "absolutely anything", that we will successfully prevent it.

You yourself mentioned that patients dependent on a ventilator will probably die anyway, not to mention suffer in the process. So I ask, without malice or conceit or cynicism: suppose that we had no ventilators at all? Suppose that our medical sophistication so collapsed, that we reverted to leaches and incantations. Would the casualty-count be all that much higher?
It's a legitimate question on ventilators. Still, people who are doomed to die from this disease at least deserve comforting care in a hospital setting....as they start to deteriorate...are they turned away to go home and die? This situation would be playing out by the thousands if actions had not been take to slow the spread. In my opinion, if I knew I had to go on a ventilator and I had no chance of getting off of it, I'd want to die at home with my family being the last thing I see, not some unfortunate nurse or Dr. who has also been thrust into this situation who can maybe hold my phone up. That specter alone should be enough to make people follow every precaution possible with this thing.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:53 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
This is an election year, its been a banner year every year since Trump got elected, the media was doing fine.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:00 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, that is another subject now isn't it? You went all drama queen on how people are going to be evicted and starve.

I am a registered Republican BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
And I am a registered Democrat, as I voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries this time.

Neither one of these representations means jack.

However, if you try to represent yourself as a conservative, I will call you a liar to your face.
Actually, injecting my two cents', I think that both of you are actually closer to the center than to either end of the political spectrum, which I why I find myself so often agreeing with both of you! (depending on the subject)

Old 04-01-2020, 01:14 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Actually, injecting my two cents', I think that both of you are actually closer to the center than to either end of the political spectrum, which I why I find myself so often agreeing with both of you! (depending on the subject)
Thank you for that. Yes, I do find myself normally center. Financially I've always leaned Republican and socially more Democrat, but not on the outer fringes for either. I think they are ALL nuts. I think parties should be done away with, and almost every politician voted out. I despise politics and politicians.

I worked for a Republican Gov and they were quite moderate. But during that time I learned I dislike politicians more than I thought. And that bar was pretty low to begin with.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-01-2020, 01:25 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good one.

How are the news media profiting? Reporters would be doing their jobs every day, regardless of the topic.

Broadcast news media, where ratings are up for the national outlets because so many are at home all day, is hiring extra staff to keep up with the ever-changing news and 24-hour demand. So even if they can demand more money from advertisers, that will balance out with extra expenses in covering the pandemic.

Print media is getting hit hard. Newspapers across the country are furloughing staff, cutting pages, reducing frequency because of reduced ad revenues. It's not going to be pretty.

https://www.poynter.org/business-wor...and-furloughs/
Because that is their business.....to profit off of news. I am not saying that what they are doing is unethical and its not their fault. They are taking advantage of Americans being glued to this topic. I probably check the news once a day....in the morning. Otherwise it becomes too much. It osculates between "we are doomed" to "There is a cure" and it really plays and wears on a person. It's attention grabbing.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:34 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Is it not possible that the nocebo effect could be elevating the severity of the illness in many people?.
There is no level of nocebo effect that will give a person a pA02 of 40-60 while on 100% O2 with a PEEP of 15 (to cite just one example I've heard from an online colleague). That takes ARDS, not "the powers of the mind."

Old 04-01-2020, 01:39 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am continually amazed at the sentiments expressed on this site. I am really not used to dealing with people who believe in conspiracy theories, hold anecdotes dear, fear others are out to get them, and are skeptical of rational science. Every non-physician is absolutely sure THEY KNOW medicine and science and are skeptical of those who have been professionals in such endeavors for decades.

I am used to socializing only with other physicians. Thus when I hear such views, it is shocking that there are individuals out there who believe such things.
I'm not a doc or other health care provider but it shocks me, too, so I can only imagine what it must be like for you and AMD....

Old 04-01-2020, 01:45 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
The media outlets are making a killing right now. People are home glued to the tv watching all the corona coverage, which is basically 24/7 now. That means ratings. Ratings=money.
It's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies