Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 11:12 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The actual word of mouth reports from people doesn't suggest we had a huge blowup of the illness before the reported numbers started ramping up though. It would have been seen especially among the older population. At best the actual cases might be double or triple, but that still leaves a long ways to go. Say 2.5 million people or even 5 million are infected, and they expect a worldwide infection rate of 2 billion let's say... this will be going on for around 3 months yet. Keep pumping those stocks more into bubble territory though!
Who said anything about stocks?!

The "older population" doesn't get out much. The "younger population," who is most likely to be contagious without being symptomatic, is everywhere, all the time.

I promise you that the number of infected is far higher than "double or triple." I can't guarantee it, because I can't prove it, but I'm positive of it. I've been following this much longer than most, and I've been right on most of the major points as they've developed. Once this broke out of China and Iran started having big problems, it became fairly clear to me how this would go. Italy blowing up confirmed it. NYC blowing up confirmed it. I saw last night that there are now a couple of confirmed cases among the L.A. homeless - watch for some real tragedy there. This will infect 60-80% of the world population, eventually.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:27 AM

190 posts, read 57,081 times
It seems like Indonesia and the Philippines have been lucky so far. They haven't been completely spared, but with such large populations and with densely populated mega-cities like Jakarta and Manila, the numbers seem off. I'm sure they aren't doing the testing that other countries are doing, but I haven't heard of any mass outbreaks like we are seeing here and in Europe.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Until we can take a test and learn the results in short order and test large portions of the population, it's just a guess how many are infected....surely it's likely multiple times the identified number.
Also keep in mind that would also imply that the mortality rate is far lower than currently being reported.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:34 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,650 times
The CDC back in 2017 estimated that between 291,000 and 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each year. Every single year from the flu. Where is the hysteria over these numbers that are MUCH larger than the coronavirus so far?

And before I get labeled as a "Trump-loving, Alex Jones-watching, Fox News-binging, conspiracy theorist" by all of the posters whipped up into a frenzy, here is the link from the CDC themselves:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...-estimate.html

Old 03-31-2020, 11:47 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
The CDC back in 2017 estimated that between 291,000 and 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each year. Every single year from the flu. Where is the hysteria over these numbers that are MUCH larger than the coronavirus so far?

And before I get labeled as a "Trump-loving, Alex Jones-watching, Fox News-binging, conspiracy theorist" by all of the posters whipped up into a frenzy, here is the link from the CDC themselves:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...-estimate.html
Part of the problem is that there is at least some doubt as to the accuracy of the numbers being reported by CDC and WHO.

Like many things these days, it's all very politicized and 'officials' at the various health orgs are just as political as everyone else.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:09 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
Yep, heart - the CDC estimates are models - not "real" numbers - just like the models that are predicting this run of CVID19. If you trust the flu numbers - than trust these future CVID numbers. Same modelers.

The CVID deaths are going to blow right by the seasonal flu numbers, world-wide. But in one month, not a flu season.

1B in India. 10% infection rate. 1% death rate = 1M dead. That's math. And a conservative estimate, at that.

Stop guessing, people, this is real, it's here, and it's bad. And it ain't the effing flu. Accept it and move on.

Hey I hope I'm wrong. But at the moment - I'm just regurgitating the models - just like the "flu" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies