Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 08:53 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

1,200 and rising fast in Alabama - so much for lightly populated.....

4.8 Million People.

Higher rate than Virginia (very urban and burbs)
Much higher rate than Oregon (Portland...big city, etc.)

These are the states that acted last....the usual characters. GA, FL, AL, TX,

Texas is not hard hit as of yet but my take is that many of these states are just two weeks behind. We'll see soon enough but so far Science and Doing the Right thing (Washington State and California etc.) seems to be somewhat working

Old 04-02-2020, 08:54 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
This is why this whole thing is totally ridiculous.
There are probably millions of current and resolved without even knowing cases. It's scare tactics. We're being had.
With the limited testing, the actual numbers are waaay up there. Which dramatically lowers the mortality rate. I'm telling you, right now, we are being scammed. Not sure of the motive yet.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:56 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Arizona is doing a Covid-19 Town Hall on all major stations. Arizona says there is a testing issue so that still isn't getting to the states. Governor Ducey is actually onhe other side from President Trump on this. At least he is trying to care about the people.
you've said such nice things about Ducey before today

Old 04-02-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I live in rural north Florida, and as of this afternoon our county had no cases.
Is there new information I am unaware of?
Well, you should look at the maps and just watch the acceleration. Cases are dependent on testing. My county in Florida is also currently low.....

But Florida as a whole...just watch. Cases are up 100 fold in a little over two weeks.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...8ddedb9b25e429

I'm sure you understand the size of the population of Florida and that it isn't all tree farms and such.

I see about 3 counties that have zero....all where very few people live;

Old 04-02-2020, 08:59 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I live in rural north Florida, and as of this afternoon our county had no cases.
Is there new information I am unaware of?
According to the latest map every county in Florida has at least one case.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...cases.amp.html

Old 04-02-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchisedog View Post
A poster said in another thread this will be the new normal and we will have 200k deaths a year from this
I don't buy it.

BUT we could have many more the first year or two.

I guess I am optimists about the capabilities of the world - all the scientists working together.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:03 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchisedog View Post
What's the point If this is the new normal?
I suppose the point would be not making 1M the new normal?

I don't buy either as normal, we will get ahead of it. Eventually
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-02-2020, 09:07 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What is the point tho?

King county, the first epicenter has about 1 case per 900

Boise Idaho about the same
The point is things are safer in smaller towns. Most people are armed, no one is going to break in for food or whatever. And the areas I know have much fewer cases. Regarding Boise and Seattle. King county has 2500 cases and about 2 million people. Ada County(Boise) has 500K people and 350 cases. The Seattle area has about double what the Boise area has.

There are reasons some areas have and will have more than others. Identify them and then go where your odds are in your favor. Even the Queen got the heck out of London and off to the country. I know everyone cannot do that. Being prepared pays off. I am not a preper. I grew up on Los Angeles. Over the past several years I discovered small town life and spend part of my year there. Now I have a new reason to be there that never occurred to me.
Less population density. Less contact with others. That is the point. That is why people are flocking to rural areas.

People Have Been Flocking To Rural Areas During COVID-19 Lockdowns

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesas.../#48efe5686578

Amid coronavirus scare, Americans flock to remote land, survival retreats

https://news.trust.org/item/20200402082129-zcgc7

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 04-02-2020 at 09:22 PM..

Old 04-02-2020, 09:11 PM

815 posts, read 981,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
According to the latest map every county in Florida has at least one case.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...cases.amp.html
They aren't reporting that locally, at least not yet

Old 04-02-2020, 09:23 PM

815 posts, read 981,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, you should look at the maps and just watch the acceleration. Cases are dependent on testing. My county in Florida is also currently low.....

But Florida as a whole...just watch. Cases are up 100 fold in a little over two weeks.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...8ddedb9b25e429

I'm sure you understand the size of the population of Florida and that it isn't all tree farms and such.

I see about 3 counties that have zero....all where very few people live;
Hey, I am watching. As a Florida resident, I am just as shocked and appalled as you are at how the governor has handled things. I have no illusions that my county is "safe". As of this afternoon, our county had tested 21 people, all negative. It's a different story in Leon County (Tallahassee) which is adjacent to my county, and probably 30% of the people who live in my county, work in Tallahassee.

My 78 y/o mom is a very high-risk person, and she lives in New Smyrna Beach. She is self-quarantined. I absolutely understand the population of Florida differs from north to south. I've lived in Ft. Lauderdale and Fort Myers.

I fully expect Florida to be the next "hot spot".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies