Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 05:38 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times

Advertisements

Today looks like 1500+ deaths for the US. Very bad.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:40 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In my view NYC is a lot more global, for instance 6 times as many tourists as in Chicago.

Or maybe there was some major event in NYC.
I read that in the case of northern Italy there was a major "distribution event", namely a soccer match in Milan.
That may or may not be true, but Chicago O'Hare was the busiest airport on the planet for decades. I think it's still busier than New York JFK. Florida gets more visitors than New York by a decent margin, albeit they're spread between more cities. Just Miami and Orlando combine to almost the same total as New York, and once you add in the rest of Florida's tourist destinations, the total shoots way past New York. So we should expect to see Florida getting hit the hardest. And there is absolutely no doubt that Florida has been extra stupid at keeping mass-gatherings from happening. They let the beaches stay open. Much stupidity ensued. New York still has ten times the cases as Florida and more than 20 times the deaths.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
International orders are NEVER paid for, they work on letters of credit and such.

So, what I think your point is is that word of Americans or the handshakes or the trust isn't worth anything......which, unfortunately, is the case with some among us.

The "Wallet Test" still applies....there are always a number of people who believe theft and gaming the system is OK. But there are many who do not feel this way. Decent people.
Example:

there are 1MM tests available right now via American-based companies. You've been vocally wondering where the FL testing is (even tho 92K have been administered).

Those 1MM tests can only go 1 of 2 places - FL or there.

Where are you sending them?

Old 04-03-2020, 05:41 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Oh goodness, please do not even say this, people already have about zero comprehension in reading and understanding medical issues already, now the last thing we need is for people to go on a panic rage killing every cat they see over some study of a rare occurrence.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Nice attitude. Noted for the next time Europe needs us to clean up their mess.

You all should have stepped in and offered 4 times as much. I guess those making the deal did not thing you all were worth it. The thing that you seem to leave out is China was perfectly fine taking our money and screwing you all in the process. America did not have the deal in place China did. China backed out of the deal. We did nothing wrong except valued our people more and had some smart people who can think on the fly.
we are going to be a global union that depends on the Chinese, the Russians, or the US.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:43 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Many are, but too many are not.

I have a friend in Miami who is saying that even today, a couple of neighbors are having some small gatherings going on, a week ago one had a large birthday party, probably about 50 people or so.

Zero care given, but when they get sick, they will run to the hospital out of hope they can be treated, being obtuse they could have avoided the entire thing in the first place.

Look at the story today, in NJ, they arrested people because they had a large engagement party, AN ENGAGEMENT PARTY!!! As if that is some extremely important event or something, who even has an engagement party anyway?, good god, with people like this, the US is going to be far above the top in the virus numbers.
Many think it won't happen to them. I know I wouldn't have gone to it.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:49 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
My city, Chicago, is just as packed in as New York. Smaller overall scale, but same concept. Crap-tons of people packed into very little space. Chicago has always been in an unofficial competition with New York to build a more impressive skyline of towering buildings. Sears Tower vs World Trade Center. Hancock Tower vs Chrysler Building. Tons more examples. And rich folk love them some 60th+ floor luxury suites.

Chicago has had cases for longer than New York. We haven't been all that much better in terms of being responsible. We currently have less than 1/10th New York's case totals and 210 deaths to their 3218. It doesn't add up.

It's like Italy. Something else seems to be going on here. I'm having a hard time buying into, "It's just bad luck." or anything like that.
Cell phone tracking showed nearly a thousand travelers entered NY from the Wuhan area of China prior to Trump's so-called ban on travel. They also came to Chicago, but in much smaller numbers. This was all in a NYT animation about a week or two ago. So Chicago is maybe a couple weeks behind NY. Thousands will die there too. Nothing like NY though.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:54 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
That may or may not be true, but Chicago O'Hare was the busiest airport on the planet for decades. I think it's still busier than New York JFK. Florida gets more visitors than New York by a decent margin, albeit they're spread between more cities. Just Miami and Orlando combine to almost the same total as New York, and once you add in the rest of Florida's tourist destinations, the total shoots way past New York. So we should expect to see Florida getting hit the hardest. And there is absolutely no doubt that Florida has been extra stupid at keeping mass-gatherings from happening. They let the beaches stay open. Much stupidity ensued. New York still has ten times the cases as Florida and more than 20 times the deaths.
I think Chicago used to be the door to the Midwest, but the Midwest has lost some of its economic power to the West Coast over the decades. From my European perspective, Chicago has little appeal compared to NYC or LA or SF, or even Seattle or Atlanta.

I have not seen statistics, but I assume Asian tourists don't flock to Florida, at least not to the beaches.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
China doesn't bury their dead. Cremation is the law.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Germany was defeated on the Eastern front. After Stalingrad and Kursk, it was just a matter of time.
and lord knows, the Russians immediately made peaceful treaties with the rest of the European countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies