Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 09:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62
I trust the nations top virus expert, Dr Fauci, he says infected cases will skyrocket within the next few months.

Although if you think about it, Im not sure they can give an accurate number, because ultimately there are only so many tests and only certain people are being tested, so its impossible to come up with numbers unless every person in the country was checked twice a month for 3 months, (that is obviously not practical or possible though).
It's more complex than that. States that have not done a shutdown will have more cases sooner, and their death rate will increase. I have a friend on a ventilator for another 10 days, for a total of 17 days on power breathing assist. His prognosis is improving. Without the ventilator, he would be a week dead. As hospitals run out of ICUs and ventilators, the line will move toward the fatal side.

States in lockdown will have fewer cases later. Rather, their cases will be spread out over months, and treatment will generally be available. Physical isolation is not to keep people from getting it, it is to keep everyone from getting it at once. High tech treatment is how we pulled the fatality rate from 4.7% to less than 1%. Max out the hospitals and the fatality rate will start to climb again.

I am very impressed with the Bay Area in California. They locked down before anybody, and are doing very well at controlling contagion even though they were the first area to identify community transmission. They suffered horribly in the HIV/AIDS epidemic, and obviously remember that lesson. Plus, they have a bunch of really bright people who understand what "exponential" means. That epidemic is still with us, and so far has killed 25 million to 30 million people worldwide.

CV-19 promises to be much worse. The death rate is far from the 100% fatality of the early years of AIDS, but you don't have to engage in risky behavior to catch it.

Last edited by Larry Caldwell; 03-31-2020 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-31-2020, 09:09 PM

858 posts, read 424,020 times
Over 700 souls died from this disease today.

Show a little respect.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:13 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
This isn’t the 14th century and medical care has advanced since then so it is not the Black Death.

When it’s all over I suspect it will be roughly a bad flu season, perhaps twice as many people killed as a typical season or a bit more.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:14 PM

1,768 posts, read 714,706 times
Interesting fact I saw tonight.
Congress remained in session throughout the Spanish Flu and several died.
They want to stay out of session now - are their lives more important or jobs less important now than they were then?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
100 days or so.
Yeah. The missing 100 Days is one of those things for a global postmortem/ lessons learned.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Trump had to keep talking about his drug cocktail. It's time for him to shut up.

Now spinning the question on what would have the curve been if we started taking the threat seriously in late January and February.
Hartley his.

China threw everything and the kitchen sink at the Corona. The medication reduced sumptoms and hospitalization times in some patients some of the time.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Over 700 souls died from this disease today.

Show a little respect.
But that is not a huge jump from number of deaths per day prior to Covid-19. That cannot be cause for such alarm that we lock down the whole country.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

So is Covid-19 now a deadly epidemic akin to Spanish Flu, or Black Death etc etc?

Deaths are not going to get close to Black death - it killed almost half of Europe.
https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19...e-spanish-flu/
But Spanish Flu still killed more people in absolute numbers, just a lower percentage due to greater population. And the Black Death actually affected a huge chunk of Eurasia. Both the Ilkhanate, and Golden Horde were hit hard too.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

So is Covid-19 now a deadly epidemic akin to Spanish Flu, or Black Death etc etc?

Deaths are not going to get close to Black death - it killed almost half of Europe.
https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19...e-spanish-flu/
So this means 97% lived. That’s not bad.

When we are looking at the numbers, we need to look at percentages, instead of just totals.

No one is giving the good news.

The bottom line is we can only protect ourselves. We cannot protect others, including our own families. We need to wash hands, we need to keep our hands away from our face. We need to remind our families to do the same.

After learning that this is the way it’s transmitted, I know I’m being far more vigilant about keeping my hands away from my face. Also reminding my family (like a broken record) to wash their hands.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:23 PM

858 posts, read 424,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But that is not a huge jump from number of deaths per day prior to Covid-19. That cannot be cause for such alarm that we lock down the whole country.
The number of Americans that died today from COVID-19 is about the same TOTAL amount that died prior to a week ago. That seems like quite a bit of growth to me, and that is with a lockdown going on. The situation doesn't seem very "retarded" to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies