Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 07:33 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yes, the magic of the free market with localities bidding on ventilators. The medical supply companies make a killing, while hospitals go into debt. There is nothing more "magical" than profiteering during a crisis, I tell you.
There wouldn't have been a problem with private losses had all of industry been nationalized already. 2 MHz processors might be on the horizon someday. Scientists foresee one day ventilators might be automated.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:34 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That chart must exist somewhere. Trump being the "successful business man" that he is, would never make random decisions without data and statistics to back them up. Would he?
Someone needs to make up a HOPE campaign sign for Trump since he is now using that word quite often. Ah, the Hopey Prayie thing is in full force.

I guess the very day they sold the Taj Mahal and took his boat away he finally did figure out what everyone else was telling him....way too late for any meaningful action.

As far as DeSantis, one has to understand that he won't do what is right or what other GOP Govs. say. Trump has to tell him directly...marching orders. There is simply no Gov. in the country who has their head further up.....AND, to book DeSantis is not a capable type of person either.

The unemployment site isn't working.....and he was warned about that a year back. People are not happy.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:36 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
There wouldn't have been a problem with private losses had all of industry been nationalized already. 2 MHz processors might be on the horizon someday. Scientists foresee the day ventilators might be automated.
LOL. Right. And at a cost of $230,000 with the optional upgrade to 500MB of ram.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:36 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Someone needs to make up a HOPE campaign sign for Trump since he is now using that word quite often. Ah, the Hopey Prayie thing is in full force.

I guess the very day they sold the Taj Mahal and took his boat away he finally did figure out what everyone else was telling him....way too late for any meaningful action.

As far as DeSantis, one has to understand that he won't do what is right or what other GOP Govs. say. Trump has to tell him directly...marching orders. There is simply no Gov. in the country who has their head further up.....AND, to book DeSantis is not a capable type of person either.

The unemployment site isn't working.....and he was warned about that a year back. People are not happy.
Forbid hope. Just concentrate on panic and fear. SMH

Old 04-01-2020, 07:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Wow! So scary on so many levels, especially that young people don't watch news and just go by what celebrities tell them. Ugh! What a world.
Not watching the news when young is rather common. Before YouTube and TikTok, you would have cable programming or homework get in the way. If the news is on at six, you likely are just ending driver ed, sports practice or your homework and at night you may watch the trendy MTV show or I guess Netflix and Hulu now. I'm going by what it was 15 years ago...

Old 04-01-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
[b]The coronavirus outbreak in the United States continues to shape up like a somewhat worse than normal case of the flu as a recent report outlines the current likely death rate to be well below earlier estimates – just 0.66%. And as more people get tested and more are allowed to be given the drug touted weeks earlier by President Trump, hydroxychloroquine, that figure is set to fall even further.

Now that we know the death rate is much lower than previously thought, can we please stop all the crazy hysteria? And can we please re-open all of our businesses and get the economy going again so we don't enter into another great depression?
What? Did your compound that you promoted here work?

"Corona virus is B.S. and can easily be treated with natural herbs and colloidal or ionic silver/copper, just like almost any other bacterial or viral infection."

Is it still BS? You need to sell your stuff to all the rich and famous for big bucks...after all, some of our good people are dying for want of your herb and silver.

hydroxychloroquine and antibiotics aren't natural herbs!

Please - can you share the formula or sources for your cure?

Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This is also just a rough estimate, but it should dampen down the fear level a little bit.

... is just dumb though. A double-strength flu season with hundreds of thousands of extra deaths worldwide ain't nothing.
Is that rough estimate somewhat like "15 and down to zero" or "going away magically in April"? Or is it closer to the 50K. 100K or 240K deaths?

I say no one has any idea. None.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The chart at the press conference indicated a peak that was well into May and didn't tail off until July which begs the question where did Trump get his information that we might be able to resume opening businesses by Easter or mid-April.

Anyone have a link for that chart?
It changes day to day as they get better and more reliable information. My governor is doing a Town Hall on Thursday and I sent in a relevant question to that as teachers and support staff don't get paid over summer and at this point cannot go on unemployment and perhaps will not get a summer job. I asked what he is looking to do for that. I and my sister(-in-law) are both educators. We have slipped through the cracks on this because we will be paid out but just to the school year as it stands.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
DeSantis is all about the money.
Beaches closed after spring breakers spent all their money.

Are hotels still open in Florida ?
At first it was ONLY hotels that he allowed to stay open when he asked people to cut back vacation rentals......not sure what the deal is now.

We can see easily enough...let me check some close by....

Yep- open, and special rate for medical workers.

"FOR TRAVELING NURSES
A SPECIAL DISCOUNT
During this COVID19 pandemic, the hotel is offering a special rate for medical staff. ID is required."

Old 04-01-2020, 07:45 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Forbid hope. Just concentrate on panic and fear. SMH
The way to fight this epidemic is not a binary choice between fantasy or panic.

The way to fight this is with facts and proper action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.