Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 01:21 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Michigan is exploding, so is Louisiana.
I really don't have a good explanation why Michigan is such a hot bed for this virus. No one can blame tourism and they have a Dem for a Governor. What did they do so wrong?

Old 04-02-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I’m in WA and still can’t get a test. I woke up Sunday morning with chills, a really painful dry cough I could feel in my chest, and a low grade fever of about 99.8. I called my healthcare provider on Monday only to be told rather dismissively to continue to self monitor for symptoms and self quarantine. Hello... I already have symptoms. I felt fine Monday, but woke up Tuesday morning to a nasty coughing episode which actually caused me, I think, to pull a muscle in my back, because every time I breathe heavily or cough I can feel it in my back.

I am doing okay today so far, coughing has been minimal though I can still feel the pain in my back if I take a deep breath. Temp is back to normal. But I’m just really disappointed and disgusted with the response I received. I’m pretty sure I got it based on the symptoms I had. It’s like if you aren’t on your death bed or have been in known contact with someone who is positive, they’re not going to test you.
Bluefox,
I hope you are feeling better today and avoiding contact with others. Based on symptoms and fact the virus is running rampant in the US, yes it is quite possible you have it.

One thing I read recently is while some say yes the test is free, that is only for the lab test itself. I am concerned that stories about people being hit with giant bills for an emergency room visit to get the test and yet another bill from a doctor whose only input was to interpret the results of the test.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:32 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Stop trying to pin a WORLD WIDE PANDEMIC ORIGINATING IN CHINA on Trump. We were never going to be prepared for this. Especially not with a multiyear impeachment extravaganza going on. Democrats wanted that resistance, that distraction, and it's doubtful Trump could have PREPARED even if he wanted to. Nitwits had no idea what was coming for us while they put on that dog and pony show. And they are STILL doing it.

I like to IMAGINE what we could have accomplished the last 3 years if the Dems had been gracious losers and worked with Trump instead of against him. In my mind it's way better than that stupid sing along on youtube.

Last edited by Ceece; 04-02-2020 at 01:40 AM..

Old 04-02-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Many people have reached "IDGAF" mode. Many people know this virus is no game. However, some people would risk themselves dying from the virus than deal with the current quarantine situation. Some people know it's nothing to play with. Some of those very persons just don't care anymore. The attitude among some is "if I die, it's better than living like this for a long time".
Sounds like seasickness to me.

What you describe is called Stage 3 sea sickness where people actually want to jump off the boat rather than endure any more. Fortunately, Stage 3 sea sick people are almost always too weak to get up and actually make the leap.

(Note some websites disagree on the stages. I am in the camp that Stage 2, is where you think you are going to die, which means it is more logical that Stage 3 is wanting to die.)

A good captain recognizes crew members as they go through the different stages.

To prevent crew members from entering Stage 3, it is important to provide clear assurances that the ship is not going to sink and that they will get through this. Any mixed messaging, especially giving false hopes that crew can clearly see to be lies, only adds to the crew stress. If the captain appears to not know what he is doing he is endangering his crew.

If a crew member is in stage 3 it is important to show some empathy and assure the person that their thoughts are normal and that other people have felt exactly the same way.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
^Oh, absolutely.

I’m asthmatic, and exactly 5 days after a routine hospital visit, I experienced a shortness of breath I haven’t felt in 30 years. (My asthma has been controlled for most of my adult life.)

My primary care doc and the urgent care doc both told me it’s probably allergies. Even as an asthmatic, I didn’t “qualify” for a test because I had no fever. My shortness of breath continues, and I also experienced back pain and a terrible headache.

I can’t confirm it, of course, but I believe I got a mild case of the virus during that hospital visit 2 weeks ago.

People are dying from Trump’s lack of planning and inaction.
Cali Doll
I hope you feel better soon.

Yes it is extremely frightening that you have had to enter a hospital in the US where today it is highly likely to be next to people that have the virus.

You should be able to confirm soon when the anti-body testing is more common. Of course by then you will have survived the virus.

I am sure you have heard this a 100 times before, but the most important thing for you to do at this point is to ensure it is not spread to others.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
1000's if not 100's of thousands have it or have had it, and didn't know they did.
Those people are not figured into the mix of statistics.
The death rate drops significantly, when everyone in a town has been tested.
Test everyone in NYC! Then calculate.
Egad,
Another post I agree with from BentBow! That makes two I caught this week. You are beginning to slip. Just kidding.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:57 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Bluefox,
I hope you are feeling better today and avoiding contact with others. Based on symptoms and fact the virus is running rampant in the US, yes it is quite possible you have it.

One thing I read recently is while some say yes the test is free, that is only for the lab test itself. I am concerned that stories about people being hit with giant bills for an emergency room visit to get the test and yet another bill from a doctor whose only input was to interpret the results of the test.
Yeah, I was hitting roadblocks immediately with the test. I will continue to quarantine as I was asked to by the doctor I spoke with. I’m good on food and cat food and the essentials. I just don’t get why I can’t get a test.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:00 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Stop trying to pin a WORLD WIDE PANDEMIC ORIGINATING IN CHINA on Trump. We were never going to be prepared for this. Especially not with a multiyear impeachment extravaganza going on. Democrats wanted that resistance, that distraction, and it's doubtful Trump could have PREPARED even if he wanted to. Nitwits had no idea what was coming for us while they put on that dog and pony show. And they are STILL doing it.

I like to IMAGINE what we could have accomplished the last 3 years if the Dems had been gracious losers and worked with Trump instead of against him. In my mind it's way better than that stupid sing along on youtube.
Trump had time for a lot of golf during impeachment, I think he could have found time to pay attention to what was going on with the virus. After all, that is his job. He likes sitting behind the big desk, he likes the ego stroking and that comes with responsibility. Except Trump doesn't do responsibility. Other countries handled this better.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:17 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
1000's if not 100's of thousands have it or have had it, and didn't know they did.
Those people are not figured into the mix of statistics.
The death rate drops significantly, when everyone in a town has been tested.
Test everyone in NYC! Then calculate.

I have my suspicions that Coronavirus may have been around for a couple of months in my area, but it may be that most who had it, experienced only mild to moderate effects and just thought it was the flu or a cold. Since there are some severe cases of the flu and also deaths, it's possible it could have gone unidentified this long. There has been almost no testing available in our area, so how would we know otherwise?

For just my own, personal interests, it would almost be good news to know that the mild case of what I had 6 weeks ago, was Covid-19. I stayed home during that time and fortunately had a big stock of food on hand. It is mysterious how much worse the epidemic is hitting some countries and states, but maybe that is just due more to limited reporting at this time. In all these years since I started taking the flu vaccine annually, I haven't had a case of it. I got my shot this season, so that adds to my suspicion about what I actually had.

We are going to need a widely-available antibody test, to determine who has had it and recovered. Such tests are becoming available. The main test given now, looks only for the virus itself, not the antibodies left after recovery. The more people who have had it and recovered, the fewer there will be to pass it to others. I'm worried about two of my neighbors, one is 93 and his son, next door, is 70. I hope they are staying away from others, but yet I see them driving off often in their cars and having visitors.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I have my suspicions that Coronavirus may have been around for a couple of months in my area, but it may be that most who had it, experienced only mild to moderate effects and just thought it was the flu or a cold. Since there are some severe cases of the flu and also deaths, it's possible it could have gone unidentified this long. There has been almost no testing available in our area, so how would we know otherwise?

For just my own, personal interests, it would almost be good news to know that the mild case of what I had 6 weeks ago, was Covid-19. I stayed home during that time and fortunately had a big stock of food on hand. It is mysterious how much worse the epidemic is hitting some countries and states, but maybe that is just due more to limited reporting at this time. In all these years since I started taking the flu vaccine annually, I haven't had a case of it. I got my shot this season, so that adds to my suspicion about what I actually had.

We are going to need a widely-available antibody test, to determine who has had it and recovered. Such tests are becoming available. The main test given now, looks only for the virus itself, not the antibodies left after recovery. The more people who have had it and recovered, the fewer there will be to pass it to others. I'm worried about two of my neighbors, one is 93 and his son, next door, is 70. I hope they are staying away from others, but yet I see them driving off often in their cars and having visitors.
My mother falls into the same group as your neighbor, only perhaps worse. She still receives visits from her grandchildren who have led very active lives during this pandemic. For example they were off on a skiing holiday and no doubt enjoying eating in restaurants only to go visit their grandmother as soon as they got back. Further, my mother herself just can't get it into her head that home delivery of her prescription is better than her going and standing in line at Costco without any mask on mind you.

Of course she is in a hot bed of the virus, Michigan, so I just fret and worry 12 time zones away from where I can do anything about it.

If she comes through this unscathed, it will be a miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies