Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 09:50 AM

2,984 posts, read 1,168,389 times

Advertisements

https://www.dailywire.com/news/whole...foods-responds Here's why he got fired ( An Amazon spokesperson explained to CNBC why the company felt compelled to fired Smalls. “Despite that instruction to stay home with pay, he came onsite today, March 30, further putting the teams at risk,” an Amazon spokesperson told the network. “This is unacceptable and we have terminated his employment as a result of these multiple safety issues.”)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 09:52 AM

36,563 posts, read 30,900,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I know they are. Give them an extra and substantial stipend for the added risk. I know a pat on the back is cool, but it's kinda important to keep the grocery stores open right now.
Grocery stores can always go to pick up or delivery, most do it anyway. That would free up a lot of those positions for those who dont want to risk it and open up positions for those whose are out of work because their employer had to shut down.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:56 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Basically the whiners want to double their pay. Do you agree or disagree they should get Hazmat pay. if you do agree should Doctors and nurses also get Hazmat pay. And what happens if employees at other grocery chains follow suit. Should government officials step in and force them to work.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ds/5086135002/
I dont begrudge it to them. All the big grocery workers here are getting hazard pay.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:58 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,603,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I dont begrudge it to them. All the big grocery workers here are getting hazard pay.

The Whole Foods employees are ALREADY getting an extra $2 per hour. It's not enough evidently.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:00 AM

35,721 posts, read 21,087,398 times
All my family is out there providing- necessities, I pray they are safe - be nice if they would pay them more, its more of a moral thing at $2. but I cant blame them wanting more money- its only right

Old 03-31-2020, 10:05 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,444,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If Whole Foods doesn't want to offer more money, then Whole Foods doesn't need to offer more money. The people who work there, if they don't like it, they can leave.

As was mentioned, there's going to be a whole lot of people who would be willing to work at Whole Foods for the amount that they say they will pay. And they'll take that job, happily, since they just lost the job that they had.
I have to part with my conservative friends on this. These are unrepresented times and a little empathy would benefit us all right now. The unsigned employer to employee agreement when Whole Food's employees started did NOT include working in a situation that puts them at undue risk. Since their level of risk has increased well beyond what is normal, I believe the contract between employer and employee has changed. These employees are not provided with the protection they need (medical professionals are struggling to find this).

And really, from a visual and reputation perspective, it would benefit Whole Foods in the long run to at least give the impression that they care about their employees. At some point, they are going to need to hire people again and also ask customers WHO CARE ABOUT COMPANY VALUES to continue to shop there.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:06 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,452,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Grocery stores can always go to pick up or delivery, most do it anyway. That would free up a lot of those positions for those who dont want to risk it and open up positions for those whose are out of work because their employer had to shut down.
They can and probably should. Until then, I'm of the mind to pay public-facing folks a stipend because when you finally go to the delivery model, you still need people to receive the trucks, fill the orders, track inventory, and perform all other grocery store operations.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:09 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,672,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Basically the whiners want to double their pay. Do you agree or disagree they should get Hazmat pay. if you do agree should Doctors and nurses also get Hazmat pay. And what happens if employees at other grocery chains follow suit. Should government officials step in and force them to work.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ds/5086135002/
Its a good example of price gouging !!!

Many people find that kind of behavior in an emergency despicable !!!

Old 03-31-2020, 10:12 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I have to part with my conservative friends on this. These are unrepresented times and a little empathy would benefit us all right now. The unsigned employer to employee agreement when Whole Food's employees started did NOT include working in a situation that puts them at undue risk. Since their level of risk has increased well beyond what is normal, I believe the contract between employer and employee has changed. These employees are not provided with the protection they need (medical professionals are struggling to find this).

And really, from a visual and reputation perspective, it would benefit Whole Foods in the long run to at least give the impression that they care about their employees. At some point, they are going to need to hire people again and also ask customers WHO CARE ABOUT COMPANY VALUES to continue to shop there.
Great points.

Another approach might be to pay 100% of their health insurance, and that of anyone inside their actual household through this crisis and 90 or 120 after, to include all copays and deductables too.

If nothing else, you are right about the optics. The typical WholeFoods client is outspokenly 'socially aware', so the appearance of caring will have benefits beyond human decency, which should be enough...

Old 03-31-2020, 10:17 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,087,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Its a good example of price gouging !!!

Many people find that kind of behavior in an emergency despicable !!!
Are you on the front lines, risking your life to keep the pantries and freezers of Americans stocked?

Nope, you're not. So easy for you to demand others risk their lives for YOU, but you are outraged with the idea that they should get extra pay for it. It's like you think they owe you their lives so you can buy your Wonder Bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies