Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 10:20 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

I hope Amazon doesn't give in to the Whole Foods workers.

The problem I have with this is that I don't recall such attacks (and, no, these attacks are not just limited to the coronavirus response) before Amazon bought the company. But, from what I gather, policies have essentially been the same regarding employment after Amazon took over.

So this just seems like an opportunity --the specific issues relating to the coronavirus response aside--to try to milk Amazon.

Note, even in those cases where some Whole Foods employees have come down with the coronavirus, I'm not sure that shutting down stores is the way to go.

If this strike is to go forward, I hope these workers are fired and replaced. There are many people who would love the "living wage" jobs at Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 10:21 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound with this statement when you consider it’s Whole Foods?
The “average” person does not shop at Whole Foods.

I chuckle every time one of my friends refers to it as "Whole Paychecks"

Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't recall such attacks (and, no, these attacks are not just limited to the coronavirus response)

As I re-read your post, it contradicts itself, which is not surprising, since it's all BS anyway. You don't recall such attacks, yet you go on in the very same sentence to imply you do recall them.

Which is it? You make a really bad conspirist. You debunk your own theory in the same sentence you propose it. LMAO..

What other "attacks" have you witnessed?

As far as I know, you don't recall such attacks because this situation is unique in modern US history.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:26 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
As I re-read your post, it contradicts itself, which is not surprising, since it's all BS anyway. You don't recall such attacks, yet you go on in the very same sentence to imply you do recall them.

Which is it? You make a really bad conspirist. You debunk your own theory in the same sentence you propose it. LMAO..

What other "attacks" have you witnessed?

As far as I know, you don't recall such attacks because this situation is unique in modern US history.
Care to explain how I contradict myself, or will you continuing spewing hot air and showing a lack of reading comprehension?

By the way, you lose credibility when you cut off a statement in mid sentence, which deprives the statement of full context

Old 03-31-2020, 10:27 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Another let them (losers in retail) eat cake moment bought to you by...

Doesnt whole foods pay $15 an hour already?

Old 03-31-2020, 10:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Doctors and nurses go into the job knowing it can be hazardous. Grocery store workers do not.

My cousin works for Safeway and, without asking, they increased his pay by $2.00 per hour and coded it "Hazard Pay." At this time, they are considered essential and they are customer facing all day long. All the things we are told not to do.

What's wrong with you?
Costco did likewise.

Walmart has some sort of cash bonus and is accelerating Q1 bonuses for hourly workers.

Whole Foods is also paying a $2/ hr bonus.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 03-31-2020 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-31-2020, 10:57 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Care to explain how I contradict myself, or will you continuing spewing hot air and showing a lack of reading comprehension?

By the way, you lose credibility when you cut off a statement in mid sentence, which deprives the statement of full context
Funny, I did explain it, and you quoted it. Then went on to blather about reading comprehension.

You said you don't recall attacks, then went on to talk about "these attacks [blah blah blah"] You are literally "Re-calling" the attacks you don't recall. You specifically said they are NOT limited to just the COVID attacks, so they must be other attacks, the ones you say you don't recall.

I only quoted the part relevant to my comments, but in re-reading it, your context does not change the meaning.

Man, it just looks stupid when you have to explain to someone what they literally just wrote. I'm not twisting your words, and I don't have a problem with comprehension. If there is a problem, it is because you mis-spoke, either on purpose, or not.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^This. Nobody is FORCING the Whole Foods employees to stay on the job. They can quit if they feel at risk, and find another job they FEEL is more safe.
Quitting disqualifies Unemployment benefit.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Nothing wrong with asking for a raise. Nothing wrong with employer saying no.
This really isnt the same though is it. You have many folks losing their jobs over this virus, many small businesses will not recover. The government is issuing stimulus checks to help with job loss . These employees are wanting hazard pay. Some double their salary. For doing what lots of others are doing, working, delivering meals, food, meds to those in need (for free), taking care of the sick and home bound, running daycare centers, manufacturing and distributing goods along with others who luckily keep their jobs even though they cant work from home.

No one, especially not the government, is forcing anyone to work and no one is suggesting that. Work if you can, if you arent comfortable with the risk, take sick leave, draw unemployment, stay home.
Quitting a job is an immediate disqualifier for state Unemployment.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
https://www.dailywire.com/news/whole...foods-responds Here's why he got fired ( An Amazon spokesperson explained to CNBC why the company felt compelled to fired Smalls. “Despite that instruction to stay home with pay, he came onsite today, March 30, further putting the teams at risk,” an Amazon spokesperson told the network. “This is unacceptable and we have terminated his employment as a result of these multiple safety issues.”)
Termination for cause disqualifies one for state Unemployment benefits.

Minimum wage at Whole Foods is $15/ hr. Whole Foods increased pay by $2/ hr.

Some demand $30/ hr.

Given FRB is projecting unprecedented unemployment rates going forward, imagine there will be plenty of folk delighted to be employed at Whole Foods and AMZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies