Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 08:42 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

I don't want to be that panda in the room

Am surprised they haven't declared Marshall Law

Shut down everything in the City

So give NYers a week to buy groceries only open certain stores and people can ship by their last name

Utilize the Guard and Police to monitor grocery stores

Give a $500 grocery voucher to all NYers making less than $75K

Freeze rent payments for 2 months

Then after the week of shopping people have supplies

Encourage all out of State worker's who are essential to book a hotel in NYC and offer flat monthly rate discounts at area hotels

Encourage employers to pay for out of State worker's

Possibly NY State pays for essential staff or partial payment for rooms

After that shut the City down for 3 weeks

No one out unless military, essential Government officials, or extreme family emergency

At the third week massive public cleaning of parks, subways, busses, trains, and public places

Utilize the military to set up emergency camps for the homeless

$1,000 fine to anyone going outside if not on their property

Old 03-31-2020, 08:44 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You know, we can agree to disagree on this. I just think that this is some pretty desperate stretching for good news when NY has clearly been vastly harder hit than any other state.

They're getting a lot of public and political heat over this so they put out spin on whatever "good news" they can, then you have Trump sniping at them and vice-versa and so it get's political. Everybody on the forum knows where you stand politically so I question your willingness to go with these stretch claims because if this was Oklahoma I think your tune would be decidedly different.

Considering that I have both education in and a few decades of real life experience in analytics, i will take your claim that I have a tenuous grasp on math with no supporting logic behind it, as a much needed moment of levity during this crisis.
The good news is that the only apples-to-apples data that we can really use - hospitalizations - is stabilizing (not flat yet). Particularly given the 5-17 day asymptomatic period, that suggests that the measures New York is implementing are starting to have a measurable effect. Are they in the clear? Not by a longshot. This will still get much worse over the next 2-3 weeks. But if that "much worse" is linear rather than exponential, that is still a win and better than the alternative.

New York, despite testing many more people then anywhere else, simply does not have enough tests to use "tested positive" as a measure of the spread because the tests aren't randomized nor do they take into account resolved cases. How many are actually positive and what the rate of spread remains a "known unknown" at this point.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:45 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
hertz is offering free rental cars for healthcare workers in NYC through the month of April. No need to keep subways open, deBlasio doesn't care if people die.
Given the situation in NY, there is no reasonable way to keep the subways closed there.

I have lived in a major city where public transit was my only means of transport for several years. If you haven't done the same then I'd strongly suggest that you may not being grasping the situation.

Again, everybody here knows where you stand politically. I think that is coloring your view on this particular aspect of the situtation especially if you've never lived in a major transit city for any length of time.

We can agree that NY is not a role model of success with regards to the pandemic but I think that you likely don't have the experience to have an informed opinion on the subway situation.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Before this is over, people are going to learn that the petty victory afforded by a sarcastic or caustic comment that garnered some temporary applause from the cheap seats is a marker of low intelligence.

The pendulum is already starting to swing with people displaying they have no patience for the petty bickering as this thing crosses all party, religious, race, every line you can draw - it crosses them all.

The world is in this together!

Old 03-31-2020, 08:48 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I don't want to be that panda in the room

Am surprised they haven't declared Marshall Law

Shut down everything in the City

So give NYers a week to buy groceries only open certain stores and people can ship by their last name

Utilize the Guard and Police to monitor grocery stores

Give a $500 grocery voucher to all NYers making less than $75K

Freeze rent payments for 2 months

Then after the week of shopping people have supplies

Encourage all out of State worker's who are essential to book a hotel in NYC and offer flat monthly rate discounts at area hotels

Encourage employers to pay for out of State worker's

Possibly NY State pays for essential staff or partial payment for rooms

After that shut the City down for 3 weeks

No one out unless military, essential Government officials, or extreme family emergency

At the third week massive public cleaning of parks, subways, busses, trains, and public places
...[stet]

1. "3 weeks" is just a cycle for those individuals exposed at any given time.

2. Unless you do it everywhere else, it just migrates back into NYC.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:49 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What is a “ good portion”?

The overwhelming percentage of the NY metro population does not have a second home, anywhere. Those that have an alternate residence in Florida tend to winter over for better weather and to achieve the 6 month residency requirement to avoid state taxes. In other words, they tend to stay planted until MarchApril.

If Trump were a civilian, he would have likely headed to one of his properties, likely in Florida, where he could have golfed every day. Most people do not have the kind of wealth that enables them to do so.

Put down that broad brush, please.
Stop defending these NYers went to Florida, trying to escape the stay home orders without caring they were now infecting Floridians. (And no need to dump on Trump on this thread.) I realize the overwhelming population doesn't have a second home. But we are talking about 10 million people, and even if 5% have a second home (lots of rich Upper East Siders, and affluent West Siders for that matter, that's 100,000 people. If even half of them decided to risk infecting another state, that's 50,000 people who are at risk of carrying the NY infection down to FL (which of course has happened).

Don't know why you're defending NYers who are defying stay home orders, and infecting more of the city, and then other states. Why defend people doing the WRONG and SELFISH thing?

Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
...[stet]

1. "3 weeks" is just a cycle for those individuals exposed at any given time.

2. Unless you do it everywhere else, it just migrates back into the NYC.
Still not much can do but would lessen the curve and reduce the hospital load

You still have to do ban travel into the City unless essential worker after the 4 week shut down

Old 03-31-2020, 08:52 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
P.S. The NYC subway needs to stop.
New Yorkers rely on public transit to get to their jobs, to health care appointments, to grocery stores, etc. You can't shut down the transportation lifeblood of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Double standard:

Right wing wants to toughen Coronavirus restrictions - good.

Left wing wants to toughen Coronavirus restrictions - bad.
Spot on.

Quote:
Then they need to start issuing passes for the medical workers and other essential employees. Did you SEE those crammed subways? It looked like regular rush hour.
If New York is like Philadelphia, ridership is down by 80-90 percent, and public transit is on weekend/holiday scheduling. Sure, the subways are crammed - because there are fewer of them running now.

Quote:
I just said above - you missed it because our messages overlapped - that they should start issuing passes to essential workers. All others are forbidden from public transportation.
See above. People use public transit for more than getting to work - and yes, that includes essential trips such as going to the doctor or buying groceries.

Quote:
Also require all people on the subway to wear masks.
And who's going to be providing those required masks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
hertz is offering free rental cars for healthcare workers in NYC through the month of April. No need to keep subways open, deBlasio doesn't care if people die.
Oh, awesome. Where do you suppose all those free rental cars are going to park outside the hospitals and clinics?

Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Stop defending these NYers went to Florida, trying to escape the stay home orders without caring they were now infecting Floridians. (And no need to dump on Trump on this thread.) I realize the overwhelming population doesn't have a second home. But we are talking about 10 million people, and even if 5% have a second home (lots of rich Upper East Siders, and affluent West Siders for that matter, that's 100,000 people. If even half of them decided to risk infecting another state, that's 50,000 people who are at risk of carrying the NY infection down to FL (which of course has happened).

Don't know why you're defending NYers who are defying stay home orders, and infecting more of the city, and then other states. Why defend people doing the WRONG and SELFISH thing?
You're going to have to forgive me if I don't pin Florida's covid problems on a relatively small number of New Yorkers who have homes there two weeks after the Governor welcomed Spring Breakers to swarm the State with open arms and adamantly refused to ramp up testing on any appreciable scale.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The good news is that the only apples-to-apples data that we can really use - hospitalizations - is stabilizing (not flat yet). Particularly given the 5-17 day asymptomatic period, that suggests that the measures New York is implementing are starting to have a measurable effect. Are they in the clear? Not by a longshot. This will still get worse over the next 2 weeks before it gets better.

New York, despite testing many more people then anywhere else, simply does not have enough tests to use "tested positive" as a measure of the spread because the tests aren't randomized nor do they take into account resolved cases. How many are actually positive and what the rate of spread remains a "known unknown" at this point.
I agree with you.

Frankly, the key number is "deaths" per capita and that will take time to resolve as I fully agree that testing and people even going for testing is unequal. Additionally the death rate can be impacted by having a case surge (like in Italy) where there isn't enough stuff to treat people.

Oh, for a little more related bad news I have a friend that works in the life insurance industry and there are "ripple effects" upon other ill people without coronavirus as hospitals and emergency services are strained.

There has been complaints about understaffing roles like EMT for years in New York and with this and workers getting ill etc. now is a REALLY bad time to have a time sensitive medical emergency there. (Heart attack, stroke, fall in the tub etc. etc.) This will be largely unreported collateral damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies