Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 08:05 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Captain was relieved of duty because he stood up for those he was responsible for.

Can you imagine waiting dilly dallying around with memos, faxes, and letters with a ship full of increasingly sick sailors?

The person who should be relieved of duty was his commanding officer, and all those higher up who ignored the Captain until it got to this point. .
His leaks caused a political fallout for the secretary. You don't do that. In the military, you follow orders and protocols you don't necessarily agree with. Deviating from that behavior does not make you a hero or a whistle-blower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 08:07 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
His leaks caused a political fallout for the secretary. You don't do that. In the military, you follow orders and protocols you don't necessarily agree with. Deviating from that behavior does not make you a hero or a whistle-blower.
No it doesn't and it sets the worst example for your subordinates. Non-vets will never get that.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That is my impression as well. There are a lot of never served commenting on this as if they are experts. Never wore a uniform but they know.
They might post as if they are experts, but they are religious fundamentalist whose religion is a political party. Thus their godhead, greater power the political leader is responsible for everything and makes every decision.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
That's true. The BBC showed the video of the captain leaving the ship. There was a huge crowd applauding him, and quite rightly too.
When Stalin and Mao died, tens of millions of people were crying.

That means what?

Old 04-04-2020, 08:33 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Military retiree here. You?

You think those sailors are going to start usurping the chain of command now? You know, out of respect and principle?
Same, retired Navy here. I don't believe they will usurp the COC anymore than they usually try..
Ships crews are pretty tight knit especially on deployment and they see this as their Captain put his neck on the block for them, everyone knows that he sacrificed his career.

I understand why he was relieved but it is still unclear what steps were tried prior to this letter to his superiors. I wish an Admiral would make a statement because I have no respect for the "temporarily appointed SecNav" who I doubt ever served 1 day in uniform.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
When Stalin and Mao died, tens of millions of people were crying.

That means what?
It means you probably have never served and don't understand what it means to be part of a crew on a US Navy warship....

Old 04-04-2020, 08:42 AM

45,326 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Same, retired Navy here. I don't believe they will usurp the COC anymore than they usually try..
Ships crews are pretty tight knit especially on deployment and they see this as their Captain put his neck on the block for them, everyone knows that he sacrificed his career.

I understand why he was relieved but it is still unclear what steps were tried prior to this letter to his superiors. I wish an Admiral would make a statement because I have no respect for the "temporarily appointed SecNav" who I doubt ever served 1 day in uniform.
An apology, or an admission to being a dumbass who runs his mouth before checking if he's right, might be in order:

Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

Coronavirus Update
What's New
Our Story
Newsroom
Resources

Thomas B. Modly
Acting Secretary of the Navy

Download Hi-res
Thomas B. Modly began serving as the Acting Secretary of the Navy as of Nov. 25, 2019. Previously, from July 15, 2019, he had been performing the duties of the Secretary of the Navy.

Mr. Modly was sworn in as the 33rd Under Secretary of the Navy Dec. 4, 2017, and serves as Chief Management Officer and Chief Information Officer for the Department of the Navy. He is the son of Eastern European immigrants who escaped from behind the Iron Curtain after World War II. He was raised in Cleveland, Ohio...……………………………………⠀¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..

Mr. Modly graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1983 with a Bachelor of Science, with distinction. Upon graduation he joined the United States Navy and proudly served as an UH-1N pilot and an Assistant Professor of Political Science at the U.S. Air Force Academy. He left active duty in 1990 to attend business school and to pursue a career in the private sector. As a midshipman at the Naval Academy, Mr. Modly also attended Georgetown University where he began work on a Master of Arts in Government/International Relations. He completed this degree prior to starting flight school in Pensacola in early 1984. He also attended Harvard Business School from 1990 to 1992 where he earned a Master’s in Business Administration with Honors with a concentration in Business, Government and Strategy.
More Biographies

Old 04-04-2020, 08:43 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
I agree with this General. Taking orders from the Pentagon filled with Acting Secretary's so stuck on procedure and not on the front is not the way to run the military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEzjAT4nPFU

Old 04-04-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
An apology, or an admission to being a dumbass who runs his mouth before checking if he's right, might be in order:

Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

Coronavirus Update
What's New
Our Story
Newsroom
Resources

Thomas B. Modly
Acting Secretary of the Navy

Download Hi-res
Thomas B. Modly began serving as the Acting Secretary of the Navy as of Nov. 25, 2019. Previously, from July 15, 2019, he had been performing the duties of the Secretary of the Navy.

Mr. Modly was sworn in as the 33rd Under Secretary of the Navy Dec. 4, 2017, and serves as Chief Management Officer and Chief Information Officer for the Department of the Navy. He is the son of Eastern European immigrants who escaped from behind the Iron Curtain after World War II. He was raised in Cleveland, Ohio...……………………………………⠀¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..

Mr. Modly graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1983 with a Bachelor of Science, with distinction. Upon graduation he joined the United States Navy and proudly served as an UH-1N pilot and an Assistant Professor of Political Science at the U.S. Air Force Academy. He left active duty in 1990 to attend business school and to pursue a career in the private sector. As a midshipman at the Naval Academy, Mr. Modly also attended Georgetown University where he began work on a Master of Arts in Government/International Relations. He completed this degree prior to starting flight school in Pensacola in early 1984. He also attended Harvard Business School from 1990 to 1992 where he earned a Master’s in Business Administration with Honors with a concentration in Business, Government and Strategy.
More Biographies
Thank you I see he did serve so I will stand corrected on that point but has worked most of his life in the private sector before his political appointment. As for your dumbass comments you can keep them to yourself..

Old 04-04-2020, 09:06 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Captain was relieved of duty because he stood up for those he was responsible for.

Can you imagine waiting dilly dallying around with memos, faxes, and letters with a ship full of increasingly sick sailors?

The person who should be relieved of duty was his commanding officer, and all those higher up who ignored the Captain until it got to this point. .
i take it that you never served a single day in the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies