Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 01:01 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Although not Navy, I agree! I'm US Army, retired, and had a top secret clearance. For the commanding officer of a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier to basically throw the President of the United States and Secretary of Defense under the bus was WAY BEYOND STUPID, and showed a TREMENDOUS lack of judgement! He meant well, but got what he deserved.
Actually his task force and theatre commanders were thrown under the bus. It is only because some see this as a swipe at the President that they cheer the Captain. Flip the administration to 5 years ago half of them would not care about one Captain being forced from a command earlier than scheduled..

Last edited by Taiko; 04-04-2020 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 01:07 PM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
Many in America today may not like it but we are a Republic with a civilian government. All this talk about the Secretary of The Navy not being 'qualified' to relieve Crozier is BS. Our government is not a military junta. What should be most disturbing to anyone thinking about this is that the Secretary of The Navy even had to get involved. This should have been taken care of by a flag officer of the Pacific Fleet. It is teling about the guts of these men and women that they didn't do their job and I guarantee you our enemies are probably just as stunned as I am that our military is so decrepit as to be incapable of making a decision in the top ranks.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:12 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My total post didn't all come out but somewhat else caught it up.

What sarcasm? You ran your mouth without checking and got caught. The first is what needs to be kept to oneself.

Crozier's dismissal is his dismissal. What you were doing is too common, trying to ruin someone's reputation without even bothering to check if you're right.
And I already stated that I stand corrected on his service, but ruin someone's reputation that's a stretch. He has led his career "as a civilian prior to his political appointment about 3 years ago" which is not much different than most serving in this roll. He's the 3rd person under this president and has yet to be confirmed, just acting. But it looks like he wasn't the right man because Kenneth Braithwaite was nominated on March 2nd for the role of Secretary of the Navy.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:15 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
Many in America today may not like it but we are a Republic with a civilian government. All this talk about the Secretary of The Navy not being 'qualified' to relieve Crozier is BS. Our government is not a military junta. What should be most disturbing to anyone thinking about this is that the Secretary of The Navy even had to get involved. This should have been taken care of by a flag officer of the Pacific Fleet. It is teling about the guts of these men and women that they didn't do their job and I guarantee you our enemies are probably just as stunned as I am that our military is so decrepit as to be incapable of making a decision in the top ranks.
I am of the opinion the relief of the Captain did happen at that level. However the reporter class had access to the government suit (SECNAV) who was part of their social class so that is who we see speaking on the issue.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:42 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
General Washington: "We need help at Valley Forge NOW! anything you can send ... blankets, shoes, potatoes .. the men are at risk of dying here!"

Continental Congress: "'You're fired."
that's a dumb comparison.

Washington was the supreme leader of Continental Army. Washington's rank is equivalent to the modern time Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley. They are the top of the food chain in the US armed forces

USS Theodore's captain is an O-6 officer. There are a lot of officers above him in the chain of command.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:08 PM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
Taiko, I hope you're right. It's very demoralizing to think otherwise but you're probably right about the press too. They tell what they want, when they want, and how they want. To paraphrase Dan Rather; "The news is what we say is news." A lot of times it seems the Fourth Estate is more like a Fifth Column.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:23 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
I agree with you. When I was in the Army, my company commander (0-3) was relieved from his duty for DUI arrest. The battalion commander (0-5) signed the paper, not Secretary of the Army.

Even in law enforcement the top boss is a civilian elected official like the city mayor, not the police chief. The police chief terminates/fires his officers. Anybody heard of a city mayor (instead of the police chief) firing an officer for wrong doing. wtf?!

Old 04-04-2020, 04:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Or the admiral(s) did not think the issue rose to the level where removal from command was needed.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:27 PM

45,321 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Or the admiral(s) did not think the issue rose to the level where removal from command was needed.
Typically the announcement would come from the commander of US Fleet Forces Command, like this https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-due-to-videos.

In this case, because of the security breech, the announcement probably was determined to be more properly announced by the civilian authority.

If you don't think those hard ass 3 and 4 stars are pissed, think again.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:13 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Typically the announcement would come from the commander of US Fleet Forces Command, like this https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-due-to-videos.

In this case, because of the security breech, the announcement probably was determined to be more properly announced by the civilian authority.

If you don't think those hard ass 3 and 4 stars are pissed, think again.
No doubt about it. From what I understand, the good Captain didn't even talk to the flag Admiral on board his own ship. He went for the end around.

As a sailor I want to stick up for the Captain, but I can't, there is a reason we follow the chain of command. The fall out from breaking it is just starting. People aren't seeing the entire picture.

Why wasn't the XO given temporary command? That would be the normal first step after relieving a CO. Why didn't the 2 star Admiral on board the TR assign a commander? This Captain has trashed more than his own career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies