Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:57 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
People need hope. This continuous doom and gloom helps exactly no one.
I would be considerably more hopeful if Trump would say, "We're probably going to need businesses to stay closed until the end of May...maybe longer"

Because then I'd know our government isn't advising us to let the virus spread everywhere after we've already spent a month or so trying to contain it...thus rendering all our efforts totally obsolete.

I don't get it. That's not a hopeful message to me. It's a terrifying message.

We open up everything that Early...we're without question going to become worse off than Italy...and all our work so far will amount to slightly more than nothing.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But it isn't closed. Yes it has tanked. But it isn't closed.

Trump never closed the economy.
Trump can't open the economy.
I was being vague.

What I mean is...I don't know why we'd want to open up any business in the entire country, that is currently closed due to the coronavirus, anytime in the next two months...nor can I think of any good reason for anyone in the entire country to reduce their caution at any time in the next two months.

I don't see how it would make any sense to do that unless the virus was pretty beaten down already...and after it gets beaten down for a while...after it stops spreading to exponentially more people with time, and after the amount of people it infects each day starts falling, each day, we're still probably going to want to keep those same businesses that are closed now closed for awhile.

I'm wondering why Trump has been be advocating anything besides that system of doing things.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:23 PM

12,378 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
It was pretty obvious Easter was not possibly going to be a time to open up the economy. There's no possible way we'll be able to open it up by April 30 either...so why is Trump even saying that he's considering it?

Even if they manage to "flatten the curve" by April 30...that's just going to mean we'll have to continue with the shutdown longer so that it continues to drop so that it has a long term effect.

We're looking at months of shutdown...pretty obviously...unless we engage in some Chinese-style, police state enforcement, which nobody seems to have had an interest in so far...so it looks like we're going for the longer, more free, route of flattening the curve.

Once the...whatever number of weeks it takes...period of "flattening the curve" is over and the rate of infection ceases exponentially rising, that'll mean more weeks spent with at least the same level of economic shutdown we've had so far. After the rate of infection actually drops for awhile...even then we'll still need to be quite careful...especially if we don't have enough testing options to determine where outbreaks are occurring quickly. Certain businesses may just be totally screwed for the next two years.

I give it two or three months, minimum, before we're able to open up any more businesses than are closed now, at all...and we'll probably need to be more strict about social distancing and making sure businesses in more areas remain closed before then too, because it doesn't seem like we've flattened the curve with our current precautions quite yet.

So...why has Trump been (hopefully) lying about opening up the economy so soon? He's been promising that since he first started talking about what to do about this virus. Is there some economic advantage that outweighs the confusion being caused to businesses and individuals or something I haven't thought of yet?

If we open up the economy too early, that'll cause a recession anyway from the panic. It'll also, probably, cause millions of deaths...and citizens will probably start demanding that we re-close down the economy once they see those deaths anyway.
While Trump is constantly lying, on this specific point - I don't think he was so much lying, it's looked to me like he's been pressuring the whole task force to lift the restrictions. I think what happened was that they provided a very strong and convincing case that this would not be in the nation's interest, and more importantly, would not be in Trump's interest to life restrictions while the epidemic was already accelerating, and he actually did the sane thing by either measure and relented.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:25 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Businesses better be able to start opening up on April 30 or the economy is completely screwed. The government can't just keeping bailing them out for months.... It just boggles my mind how so few people seem concerned about the future of the economy. Let's just completely ***k it up over a disease that kills maybe 1% of people.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Businesses better be able to start opening up on April 30 or the economy is completely screwed. The government can't just keeping bailing them out for months.... It just boggles my mind how so few people seem concerned about the future of the economy. Let's just completely ***k it up over a disease that kills maybe 1% of people.
It'll kill a lot more than that. We have no choice but to completely screw the economy. That 1% will go up considerably if people don't have access to hospitals when they need them. People will also develop long term...possibly permanent lung problems. The economy will tank anyway...and all of our progress will amount to nothing, if we open up the economy by April 30. Half the population will almost immediately get the virus. Forget about any possibility of businesses opening up by April 30 happening.

Count on the economy being completely screwed. I agree that'll probably happen. I'm counting on this being the most devastating occurrence for our economy since the great depression...but we have no other options besides making it that way.

We'll still have a massive recession with or without businesses being closed down. This thing will not just go away on its own. We have to fight it...just like any other war. We're in WW2 right now.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:33 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
OP, if president Trump wasn't hopeful and was doom and gloom, the left would say he is a doomer, but since he has faith in the people who he knows are working hard to care for the people and others trying to find treatment that works, then the left says he lied.

The left will never be happy no matter what he does, it's one of the reasons no one pays attention to you leftist.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:36 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
It was pretty obvious Easter was not possibly going to be a time to open up the economy. There's no possible way we'll be able to open it up by April 30 either...so why is Trump even saying that he's considering it?

Even if they manage to "flatten the curve" by April 30...that's just going to mean we'll have to continue with the shutdown longer so that it continues to drop so that it has a long term effect.

We're looking at months of shutdown...pretty obviously...unless we engage in some Chinese-style, police state enforcement, which nobody seems to have had an interest in so far...so it looks like we're going for the longer, more free, route of flattening the curve.

Once the...whatever number of weeks it takes...period of "flattening the curve" is over and the rate of infection ceases exponentially rising, that'll mean more weeks spent with at least the same level of economic shutdown we've had so far. After the rate of infection actually drops for awhile...even then we'll still need to be quite careful...especially if we don't have enough testing options to determine where outbreaks are occurring quickly. Certain businesses may just be totally screwed for the next two years.

I give it two or three months, minimum, before we're able to open up any more businesses than are closed now, at all...and we'll probably need to be more strict about social distancing and making sure businesses in more areas remain closed before then too, because it doesn't seem like we've flattened the curve with our current precautions quite yet.

So...why has Trump been (hopefully) lying about opening up the economy so soon? He's been promising that since he first started talking about what to do about this virus. Is there some economic advantage that outweighs the confusion being caused to businesses and individuals or something I haven't thought of yet?

If we open up the economy too early, that'll cause a recession anyway from the panic. It'll also, probably, cause millions of deaths...and citizens will probably start demanding that we re-close down the economy once they see those deaths anyway.
So you have never been involved in setting goals. We get it.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
People need hope. This continuous doom and gloom helps exactly no one.
Trump now going in the opposite way by focusing on the doom and gloom and might try to magnify it big. I think people will get tired of that more than his denials that the virus was a grave threat.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:47 PM

17,614 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Just what C-D needed, another deranged TDS-afficted left winger. Welcome ClintOne.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:52 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
So you don’t care if you are one of those 1%? Or your parents? Or your sibling? Rather cold, I’d say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies