Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
OP, if president Trump wasn't hopeful and was doom and gloom, the left would say he is a doomer, but since he has faith in the people who he knows are working hard to care for the people and others trying to find treatment that works, then the left says he lied.

The left will never be happy no matter what he does, it's one of the reasons no one pays attention to you leftist.
I'm not "the left" My name is Clintone. This is not about who likes who. This is about what's best for our country. I'm trying to determine if President Trump's statements were good for our country in some way or not...that's all.

A proper president wouldn't care whether or not people approve of him at this point anyway. He would be focusing on what's best for our country. Again...I'm not saying president Trump's optimistic statements didn't necessarily do that. I just don't know why they weren't more misleading and destructive than helpful and hope-giving.

You are making a bit mistake if you stereotype me as a "leftist." You will miss out on my unique opinions. I don't even know if I classify as a leftist. Nor do I care. I don't know what a leftist is. You shouldn't care either. Nobody should care if anyone on this forum us a "leftist" or a "liberal." They should only ever care about their arguments.

God...there's nothing I find more annoying than people using the word "leftist" or "liberal" as an insult and just brushing off anything actually being said.

I, on the other hand, do not care what your political affiliations are. I'm going to pay attention to your statements. Please do the same with me.

Last edited by Clintone; 04-01-2020 at 08:12 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So you don’t care if you are one of those 1%? Or your parents? Or your sibling? Rather cold, I’d say.
And 1% is actually a lot. That's not something to just sit back and accept. There are times when you have to pull society together to fight something...and if you're not going to pull together society to fight that, there really aren't any more appropriate circumstances that will occur in any of our lifetimes to pull together people to fight against. This is it...this is the biggest threat we're going to get in our lifetimes...unless Yellowstone explodes or something. This is our WW2. There will, quite possibly, be no military conflict nor national catastrophe that will be a more difficult struggle than this in most of our lifetimes.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:10 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So you don’t care if you are one of those 1%? Or your parents? Or your sibling? Rather cold, I’d say.
Well, yeah, of course I would care... and luckily no one I know has gotten sick yet. But if we don't open up businesses soon, we won't have an economy to come back to and life won't be worth living anyway... I see mass suicides in the future.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
He meant in certain areas. Many places in this country still haven't been hit very hard by this. The county where I live has 356 cases and 2 deaths, out of 1.2 million people. Unless that changes drastically, in the next few weeks people are going to be looking to return to normal.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
He meant in certain areas. Many places in this country still haven't been hit very hard by this. The county where I live has 356 cases and 2 deaths, out of 1.2 million people. Unless that changes drastically, in the next few weeks people are going to be looking to return to normal.
That's the way most places, aside from New York, Washington, and those types of area are, I'd say. We're all kind of hunkering down to delay the spread of a few cases. Compared to the number of people in our country, the number of sick people is still very small.

Maybe what should be done is...certain areas of the country hunker down, keeping the virus from spreading, while other areas just have it spread everywhere, to get it over with, and then we can focus on one area at a time...sending resources to those areas. It's going to increase in your area...exponentially, probably.

On the other hand...they're learning more about this stuff all the time. There are a lot of maybes. Maybe the summer heat will harm it. Maybe a weaker mutation that spreads easier will inoculate most of us...in time...and if we let the harsher strain just spread there would have been no need for that.

I don't know...with this kind of situation I'd have to look into just how much this harming the economy...how much businesses are adapting and such. If you can survive like that for a long period of time, you may look back from the standpoint of a place like New York and miss your past situation. A lot of people are working from home.

Also...if we actually want to stomp it out, the only possible way is through unreasonable paranoia.

It gets trickier in your type of situation.

I probably need to look into this more. Maybe, given how quickly New York is filling with infected people, it'd be better to keep you area's numbers low until New York, Washington, and those bigger areas have already gone through this.

I'm wondering if this is a problem best suited for mathematicians.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:32 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Our economy is screwed. No one is working except essential personnel. Many small businesses will never recover.
Great attitude..! There are so many great Americans who are stepping up in this troubled time to do whatever they can to ease the pain and try to get America back on her feet.... and then there are the leftist who are cheering on the devastation and hoping America fails in hopes it will make Trump look bad. What it is doing is showing the world just how great a leader Trump really is. Badmouth him all you wish, for it is you who looks the fool, not Trump..
TRUMP 2020 MAGA for four more years. Thank you for helping the cause Nat...

Old 04-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Great attitude..! There are so many great Americans who are stepping up in this troubled time to do whatever they can to ease the pain and try to get America back on her feet.... and then there are the leftist who are cheering on the devastation and hoping America fails in hopes it will make Trump look bad. What it is doing is showing the world just how great a leader Trump really is. Badmouth him all you wish, for it is you who looks the fool, not Trump..
How exactly is complaining harming the country? Answer: it's not.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:38 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I was being vague.
Yes you were, vague is a good description for those on the left.. Look at pedo Joe for instance, if you want the perfect description of vague.. Another word for it is "Bat Crap Crazy..!"

Old 04-01-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Well, yeah, of course I would care... and luckily no one I know has gotten sick yet. But if we don't open up businesses soon, we won't have an economy to come back to and life won't be worth living anyway... I see mass suicides in the future.
Flattening the curve is not about stopping the disease...but rather about keeping hospitals from overflowing. What'll probably happen is that, if we "flatten the curve" people will relax until the disease starts getting going again.

So...we may be looking at 2 years worth of similar restrictions as we have now...or a little more. We may or may not be able to afford that. I don't know.

We may or may not have the will to totally stop the disease...continuing to be paranoid even when it's small. I don't know.

All I know is that the doctors and professionals and people speaking on internet sites who I trust far more than the propaganda artists and politically motivated people keep advising "flatten the curve." I trust Dr. Fauci...because he is more intelligent than I am and has no reason for political bias, and he urges "flatten the curve" not "let the virus spread everywhere to develop herd immunity."

If he's wrong...I'm going to want some strong arguments about why.

I also haven't researched this as much as I could yet. Maybe Fauci's wrong...but unless I can think of away he's provably wrong, I'm just going to do what he says unless I see someone who's more intelligent state an opinion.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:51 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
This isn't about making Trump look bad. So get over it. He makes himself look bad. Sorry but he's an inapt leader. The true leaders in this have been the governors that took action first. The spread of this could have been minimized if Trump had taken it seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies