Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 01:52 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Yesterday one of my kids’ teachers gave them this assignment.
Interview a relative about why they came to America and what their experience has been.
Why do so many people in education still fail to realize that America is more than the last half decade? This is the fourth or fifth time my kids have been left out of an assignment or “cultural” day. The last cultural day we had specifically asked the kids to bring in an item or food from another country that related to their family.
I would be livid.

The left promotes this country as a "nation of immigrants".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 02:17 PM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree teachers have a difficult job especially now when they have to be so, so careful of everything they say and do while they are expected to do so much. I also feel they are very often overly criticized for doing a job most of us could never do. Lord knows I could never do their job and I am thankful that my grand has so many awesome teachers but every now and then I see a teacher who should really think about a different profession.

Yes, I actually think that's true about a lot pf professions! That's why it makes me crazy when someone posts "what should I major in that pays a lot?" and people say "Be a nurse!" when IMO being a nurse is almost a calling, just anyone cannot do it well.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I would be livid.

The left promotes this country as a "nation of immigrants".

We are a nation of immigrants, unless you are Native American. Why is that offensive??

Old 04-02-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We are a nation of immigrants, unless you are Native American. Why is that offensive??
I'm not an immigrant.

Most Americans have origin in the original thirteen colonies. We are ethnic groups who were here before the founding of this nation. We are not immigrants. I live in my own country. This is where my family is from.

We have our own culture that's from this nation.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:31 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
I'm not an immigrant.

Most Americans have origin in the original thirteen colonies. We are ethnic groups who were here before the founding of this nation. We are not immigrants. I live in my own country. This is where my family is from.

Best answer, thank you. I'm not Hyphen-American. I am American!

Old 04-02-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not an immigrant.

I don't think it's most Americans, do you have a link with that statistic? I would think more Americans now descend from folks who came after Colonial times.

You still didn't answer why it's offensive to you.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:15 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
I'm not an immigrant.

This is actually not true, most Americans do not have origins in the 13 colonies, unless you count something like of their four grandparents one of them has origins completely in America, as tracing back to the 13 colonies, At best you could sum up and say the majority of English, Native and African Americans have the majority of their DNA tracing back to the 13 colonies but I’m 100% sure this isn’t true for the other ethnicities that make up America such as Mexican Americans, German Americans, Italian Americans, Irish Americans all of America from Eastern Europe, from the Nordic countries. Maybe you can throw in the French Americans in the former group because of Hugenots and not much French immigration after, but if they stayed in the coastal colonies South of Boston likely all of those French folk are mixed with the latter waves of immigrationbut I would say something like 70% of white Americans have a great grand parent who wasn’t born here.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
What if somebody called you an immigrant in your own country?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:33 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
I don't think it's most Americans, do you have a link with that statistic? I would think more Americans now descend from folks who came after Colonial times.

Like I posted, what he said is statistically impossible. I agree I don’t see the Nation of Immigrants is offensive, it’s like calling Nigeria a Nation of Nations, you can claim to be a non-hyphenated American but your ancestors where from somewhere, whether England, Germany, etcetera and it often affects where Americans live today. Nigerians are the same someone can claim to be just Nigerian or a proud Nigerian but Nigeria like America is a country created in relatively modern times and people with histories reaching thousands of years before had their own nations, and Empires beforehand. I’m from Nigeria but I’m also half-Ijaw and half-Yoruba and was born where those ethnicities are most likely to meet and form a relationship. Just like Irish Americans still live overwhelmingly near Boston, and Polish Americans near Chicago/Midwest and Hawaiian Americans in Hawaii/California and Nevada. To ignore that history in my opinion is to spite your ancestors. Maybe one day all Americans will be so mixed up that geography has no bearing but it still does today and maybe you can’t call yourself a hyphenated American truly but others can and do know their history I think it’s part of what makes America great. I don’t think all Americans should have singular identity even countries more homogeneous than us like England and Japan still has tons of regional flair and flavor that adds to their County as a whole.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
What if somebody called you an immigrant in your own country?

Why is that an insult? I would just say my ancestors were not immigrants, they were from such and such. You act like it's an insult, a curse word. That's what I don't get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies