Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The cruise went from Buenos Aires to a city in Chile. Being Dutch ships based in Holland, why the hell did they pass a bunch of Dutch islands on their way to Florida while they had not secured permission to even disembark in Ft Laurderdale?
Yes! Even leaving the Panama Canal, it would be a shorter distance to Aruba, Curacao and St. Maartin than to Florida. One can even argue the Netherlands being an EU member and part of the Schegen Zone, French territories should also be higher on the list than the US. And U.S. citizens are a minority of the passengers on board. The best option would be to dock the ship someplace like St Maartin and the US can send repatriation flights for our citizens, and the Dutch government can take care of the rest. This goes into the debate of flags of convenience and why ships aren't registered in the United States, since this ship is registered in the Netherlands the Dutch government has full responsibility for it. Also, all the time spent sailing for ports, transiting the Panama Canal (which takes something like an entire day) if the ship sailed straight at full speed in the other direction it would almost be in Amsterdam by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 11:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Perfect labs to get statistics!
The last ship. 88% never got the virus. How many died?
What the frick are cruise ships doing, loading out right now? Has this thing been afloat for a month?

Old 04-02-2020, 06:02 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
I believe the Florida governor said he would take the Florida citizens in but that’s it. The ship could easily be resupplied at sea by helicopter dropping what is needed as long as necessary.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:07 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
At Trump's press briefing he said he is coordinating with other countries to return them to their home countries as they off load in FL.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-02-2020, 06:08 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Florida is just a few days away from exploding with this virus, let them off to be treated at hospitals now so they can be released before it turns into a total nightmare there.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:13 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I live in Fort Lauderdale and most of the cases we already have came from the cruise ships in Port Everglades.

I say - don't let them disemabrk in my backyard. Let them quarantine offshore on the ship they made the choice to go on instead of taking other precautions. They can have any medications airlifted to them offshore.
I'd like to see the critically sick e vac to a hospital or to a medical facility. Isolate those showing flu like symptoms at an empty hotel on land. Disinfect the ship and the remaining passengers do 14 days of quarantine on the ship.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Holland America's ships are all registered in the Netherlands, so the Dutch government should be ultimately responsible for them. They should dock in one of the Dutch Caribbean islands like Aruba or St. Maartan, and we can send repatriation flights to bring the Americans home to be quarantined on a military base. But the Dutch government has the greatest responsibility for them and they might have a legal requirement to allow them onto Dutch territory based on the ship's registration.

Since the Netherlands is an EU member, the other EU governments also have a greater responsibility than the US. There are several French territories in the Caribbean as well where they can dock.

Many other ships are registered in the Bahamas so the Bahamas should be obligated to provide them docking rights.
You're a bit out of date as there is no more Holland America per-se. It is owned by Carnival Cruise lines a company that has prided itself on it's AMERICAN branding.

https://cruisefever.net/what-other-c...-carnival-own/

Read this and weep. Dumping oil in the ocean and llying about it is just one of the tricks this AMERICAN owned company is noted for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Cruise_Line

Old 04-02-2020, 11:43 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Let them stay there. They willfully went in their cruises during this crisis.
The Zaandam set sail on March 7th. At that time, the coronavirus was just starting to make its presence known in the United States. And I believe it was even less prevalent in South America, where the cruise originated. I don't fault the passengers on that cruise for not being prescient enough to foresee just how quickly the virus would spread during the time that they were afloat.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:46 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The Zaandam set sail on March 7th. At that time, the coronavirus was just starting to make its presence known in the United States. And I believe it was even less prevalent in South America, where the cruise originated. I don't fault the passengers on that cruise for not being prescient enough to foresee just how quickly the virus would spread during the time that they were afloat.
Stop the nonsense. I had a cruise scheduled for the very same time and decided not to go due to coronavirus. There are plenty others who did the same. The information was out there for all. They decided to take the risk.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:56 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
They should allow the cruise ships to pull into Port Canaveral which is off of the channel that the Disney Port is located. It is for government/military ships and would allow them to dock and be evaluated without exposing the general public. Ill patients can be transported to appropriate hospitals and those tested and cleared can be transported to Fort Lauderdale to get their cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies