Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 01:13 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times

Advertisements

I don't know how widespread this is as I live in a relatively rural county with three towns around 40,000 people 50 miles apart and haven't been out much lately.

All the police depts and sheriff have closed their offices to the public. Virtually all govt offices and even local council and county supervisor meetings have been canceled or public comments on agendas suspended.

I "get it" the need to isolate and break this virus.

But am I alone in being concerned about the growing divide and separation of the government and police from the citizenry? They no longer want or wish to listen to our input. It seems the free election prosess has stopped. It is like we are entering a totalatarian police state where the constitution is ignored and you do as ordered without question, and anybody speaking out is a subversive. How far are we from opening gulags for thoes who oppose tyranny?

Some places are threatening to arrest citizens for failing to adhere to the new edicts. Or in Las Vegas where the police are physically closing down businesses that are not complying with the government orders to shutter and go bankrupt (essentially.)

I am especially concerned by police bunkering up and seeming to be gearing up for major disturbances. In my town it's like the pd, especially the higher ups are MIA. Hasn't been a peep or any guidance or reassurance from anyone. They seem to be reinforcing their long held "us vs them" standard of separation and "occupying force," that has caused so many civil unrest problems in the past.

I'm hoping we aren't heading into a constitutional crisis over freedom and civil rights over this virus - but it seems we need some serious modifications to all these various obscure "emergency powers" laws. Where did the legislative process go?

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 06:20 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
I have been saying this. But I'm always labeled a conspiracy theorist. I have been after my family, and thankfully they're starting to open their eyes to the police and governments. Especially in these past few weeks. I also state that there's a very thin line until martial law. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
I hope you’re both wrong.

I’m in an area that’s popular for vacations and Airbnb are prevalent. One of our senators put out a post yesterday (?, the days are running together) telling residents to screenshot and report anyone advertising their home for rent.

Um, really?? Are we North Korea?

Completely understand not wanting people advertising as a Coronavirus getaway, but why in the world can’t the advertise for summer vacations and stuff?

And asking other citizens to report people? It’s just not right.

Again, I hope you’re both wrong.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
The police never bothered responding to my place when I needed help in the past. Now the only change is everyone knows they're on their own.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:43 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
We can legally shoot robbers here anyway, so who cares.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I'm hoping we aren't heading into a constitutional crisis over freedom and civil rights over this virus - but it seems we need some serious modifications to all these various obscure "emergency powers" laws. Where did the legislative process go?

Opinions?
I'm no libertarian but I think that the people need to start speaking up and being counted. Trump started to but he was cowed by the public health establishment. We have here a disease where a fraction of the population is at serious risk. Some of it is self-imposed, such as smoking.

I think that the people need to write their legislators and perhaps conduct some common-sense civil disobedience. We should not become a police state as a result of some panic-stricken politicians.

Last edited by jbgusa; 04-01-2020 at 07:45 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 06:50 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
When you consider most of what govt cops do is predatory, I can only see it as a positive

Old 04-01-2020, 06:50 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
We can legally shoot robbers here anyway, so who cares.
In California I'm required to have the bills arranged by serial number to give to the robber for when he breaks in.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:58 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
LOL The left loves to bash the police at every turn. Now they are bashing because the police are staying away? LOL. I love it.

Everyone hates a cop until they need one. LOL. Everyone knows how to do a cop's job better than a trained police Officer, but few are willing to do it.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:02 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL The left loves to bash the police at every turn. Now they are bashing because the police are staying away? LOL. I love it.

Everyone hates a cop until they need one. LOL. Everyone knows how to do a cop's job better than a trained police Officer, but few are willing to do it.
Yeah, I'm not keen on assassinating dogs so I pass on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies