Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 12:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Sorry, but pandemics don't magically confer powers upon the President that violate the Constitutional structure and order of our government. What you propose is to effectively give the President the power to declare martial law simply by virtue of proclaiming "oh by the way, we now have a pandemic." No thanks.
Are you aware of some of the things FEMA can do, once a 'national crisis' is officially recognized? Some of the protocols are pretty scary...

FEMA has the authority to withhold and 'alter' news and information, if they feel it may cause a mass panic...think about that...it means FEMA can essentially keep secrets from the public, (if they are too negative), or they can give out 'fake' news/information!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 12:45 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Are you aware of some of the things FEMA can do, once a 'national crisis' is officially recognized? Some of the protocols are pretty scary...

FEMA has the authority to withhold and 'alter' news and information, if they feel it may cause a mass panic...think about that...it means FEMA can essentially keep secrets from the public, (if they are too negative), or they can give out 'fake' news/information!!
Same goes for war, The government can withold information if war is declared and can give out fake news. So why would any national emergency (And I do think a pandemic counts as one esp. one that can cripple the health care system.) be different?

Old 04-04-2020, 01:01 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Far as I know, this social distancing is a new thing, an experiment, if you will, the effectiveness of it is not really known. I am unaware of any such action during the Spanish Flu or "Asian Flu" or Polio epidemics last century. Maybe there were but I've never heard of it. I know children were told not to wade around in flooded streets or ditches during the polio years, but am unaware of the extreme quarantine stuff like now being done. This appears to have originated in China, and well, as some have noted, the socio-political atmosphere of China is not considered to be much like that of the US.

We won't know if this will work to our advantage to asny significant degree until this pandemic plays out which will likely be about 15 months total on average..

Old 04-04-2020, 01:10 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
NY has had a stay at home order and social distancing for almost 2 weeks, doesn’t seem to help all that much.
Duh! Wonder why! What I see pix's of still-crowded subway trains! And buses! How on earth is it possible to keep a 6 foot distance in either buses or trains?

And the many homeless, the population which will surely grow: Stay home! Even if you're living under a freeway bridge or in a culvert! Stay home!

Old 04-04-2020, 01:34 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Far as I know, this social distancing is a new thing, an experiment, if you will, the effectiveness of it is not really known. I am unaware of any such action during the Spanish Flu or "Asian Flu" or Polio epidemics last century. Maybe there were but I've never heard of it. I know children were told not to wade around in flooded streets or ditches during the polio years, but am unaware of the extreme quarantine stuff like now being done. This appears to have originated in China, and well, as some have noted, the socio-political atmosphere of China is not considered to be much like that of the US.

We won't know if this will work to our advantage to asny significant degree until this pandemic plays out which will likely be about 15 months total on average..

In the case of polio it would not work. Polio is usually transmitted by contaminated water. In the case of the Spanish Flu they didn't know how it was transmitted. In the case of the last a vaccine was developed which stopped it. Anyway the purpose isn't just to try to stop the pandemic(It's too late for that). It is to slow it down and minimize deaths. The trouble with a pandemic is that it can hit the hospital system very hard so hard that people who might have recovered from the disease or people who have other problems like say got in a car wreck, die. There is only so many/much hospital beds, staff, drugs and equipment and time for each patient. If too many people get sick too quickly, yikes. However even if the same number of people get sick and die but do so at a slower pace the system can handle them and the normal amount of illness/accidents that occur.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:39 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I can't answer that for you. You can make up your own mind.

For me... It was two years ago. Nobody knows the future. The team was streamlined, not disbanded. More people does not mean better results will occur, especially with government - see the education system. There's no egregious fault here to me. People are free to disagree. But it isn't the time to continue to nonsense political nitpicking. People want to complain about Trump no doing his job. I suggest people do their job and use their energies toward helping get things back to normal for the sake of the citizens of this country.

Partly false claim: Trump fired entire pandemic response team in 2018
I have made up my mind, but you were the one claiming there were no right answers. Well, clearly, dissolving a vital department like the pandemic response team, was not the right answer. Dissolving the program that had a infectious disease expert embedded with the chinese cdc was not the right answer. Trying to cut funding to the CDC, was also, not the right answer. You say, there are no right answers, but i say, we have clear right answers right there.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...se/5064881002/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Made literally no difference. The response was more local than anything. Good local leaders took care of their states and local areas and poor local leaders didn't. There's a reason why NY/NJ is such a disaster while the vast majority of the rest of the country handled things much better.
This is not even debatable. In the case of a national emergency the states look to the federal government for guidance, help and coordination with the emergency. That is how its supposed to work. But that's not what happened. Each state was and continue to be left to their own devices, and now we have mass chaos with the number of infections exploding all over the united states, some in big cities and some in rural towns. Local governments don't have the resources to see what potential national threats are coming their way. That's the role of the federal government, who's job it is to detect the threat and then neutralize it before it gets here, or coordinate with states who may be targeted, etc, etc. How are you going to do that when you dissolve our first line of defense, in the fight against a potential pandemic reaching our shores?

Old 04-04-2020, 09:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Same goes for war, The government can withold information if war is declared and can give out fake news. So why would any national emergency (And I do think a pandemic counts as one esp. one that can cripple the health care system.) be different?
Your are right! So I dont get why people are putting so much stock in what Trump and the state Governors are saying these days...half of it is probably not even accurate, its just an effort to avoid mass panic, runs on the banks, etc.

Im assuming this is why they keep extending these 'unofficial lockdowns', first it was 2 weeks, now 30 days, have to wonder when they are going to be up and honest and admit, that these places are NOT going to re open?

Old 04-11-2020, 10:01 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Social distancing earlier would have prevented the spread that we see happening now. Florida is going to be hit hard because DeSantis failed to act sooner. So many retire there and they are high risk.
think about it tho.. would it have prevented it or just delayed it?

Old 04-11-2020, 10:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It would have angered the left that much sooner
... of course, they would still remain angry about anything he might/might not do in the future -- and the media would still drone-on with their anti-Trump 'Gotcha' efforts day-after-day-after day.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:13 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
....less infected and death, a quicker recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies