Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 08:31 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,992 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing on news outlets that Trump waited too long to acknowledge and act. I 100% agree with social distancing but I'm not sure I understand what we could have prevented if we did something sooner.

Lets say we did social distancing in Mid-Feb for a month... Maybe we only have 10,000 CONFIRMED cases. Still, lots of church's keep holding mass, Jewish communities like in Lakewood NJ keep throwing parties, kids keep sneaking out to hang out, so the Virus stays alive in very small numbers. Then we get the "ALL CLEAR" good to go back to work and on with your lives.. then suddenly a month later we go from a few cases back up to the 215,000 we're at today... Then what? Another month of social distancing and the economy REALLY tanks? So I just don't quite understand what difference it would have made.

I'm tired of hearing "Trump didn't act soon enough" and there's no follow up reasoning as to why or what difference that would have made.. For the record, no, I'm not a fan of Trumps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 08:57 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
You understand there are supposed to be people who handle this ? He sent them home.
You get that the potus is to protect the citizens of any threat ? He had the information before the news people ever said a word. But this is not uncommon for us. We bury our heads in the sand.
Stupid DeSantis finally put the state of Fl in lock down - after spring breakers took the bug back north. MrT did not have the things in place to handle this threat. Same thing -When it got noisy on the news then he acted.
Let’s just say instead of a bug it was germ warfare - a real attack on purpose. How long before we all grab our weapons ? How long before he tells us - we are under attack !

Old 04-01-2020, 09:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
It isn't just the social distancing. The fact you think this is the most important 'accomplishment' of the PResident shows how little you expect.

Back in early January they should have been exploring scenarios -- including worst case. What if this virus wasn't just in China. (common sense -- people travel). What if it comes here and hits the USA like China what does that mean for resources, especially in the more densely populated area....blah blah blah......

Old 04-01-2020, 09:03 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It isn't just the social distancing. The fact you think this is the most important 'accomplishment' of the PResident shows how little you expect.

Back in early January they should have been exploring scenarios -- including worst case. What if this virus wasn't just in China. (common sense -- people travel). What if it comes here and hits the USA like China what does that mean for resources, especially in the more densely populated area....blah blah blah......
In 2019 they had a simulation. Crimson contagion- it was all there in a report. They had the scenario played out !

Old 04-01-2020, 09:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I keep hearing on news outlets that Trump waited too long to acknowledge and act. I 100% agree with social distancing but I'm not sure I understand what we could have prevented if we did something sooner.

Lets say we did social distancing in Mid-Feb for a month... Maybe we only have 10,000 CONFIRMED cases. Still, lots of church's keep holding mass, Jewish communities like in Lakewood NJ keep throwing parties, kids keep sneaking out to hang out, so the Virus stays alive in very small numbers. Then we get the "ALL CLEAR" good to go back to work and on with your lives.. then suddenly a month later we go from a few cases back up to the 215,000 we're at today... Then what? Another month of social distancing and the economy REALLY tanks? So I just don't quite understand what difference it would have made.

I'm tired of hearing "Trump didn't act soon enough" and there's no follow up reasoning as to why or what difference that would have made.. For the record, no, I'm not a fan of Trumps.
And you not seeing follow up is your problem with reading comprehension, bias etc.

It is very clear what folks are criticizing with Trump.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:05 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
What would earlier social distancing have accomplished?

Nothing. Nobody would have believed that things would get this bad, so no one would have done it.

Only after the U.S. started experiencing what China already had, would people have started responding. And that couldn't have happened any earlier than it did.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:21 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
It would have angered the left that much sooner

Old 04-01-2020, 09:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
I don't know.

People are so reliant upon government to tell them what to think, feel, and do it's hard to tell.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It would have angered the left that much sooner
Can you imagine if Trump would have put the measures in on Feb. 1st (he was acquitted on the 5th)?

Team Blue's heads would have exploded!!!!!!

Kind of sad, in retrospect, that it didn't happen.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:35 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You understand there are supposed to be people who handle this ? He sent them home.
You get that the potus is to protect the citizens of any threat ? He had the information before the news people ever said a word. But this is not uncommon for us. We bury our heads in the sand.
Stupid DeSantis finally put the state of Fl in lock down - after spring breakers took the bug back north. MrT did not have the things in place to handle this threat. Same thing -When it got noisy on the news then he acted.
Let’s just say instead of a bug it was germ warfare - a real attack on purpose. How long before we all grab our weapons ? How long before he tells us - we are under attack !
We have layers of government. Trump is allowing states to do their own lockdowns.

All of you who complain about this are Monday Morning QBs. Has it been perfect? No. We have never been through this in this country. There are no perfectly right answers.

Do you hold yourself to the same standard that you hold others - that you can never be wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies