Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 11:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's the unelected bureaucratic hierarchy at each agency. I just posted a RCP article regarding exactly that.
Well, that you posted it, it must be spot on, eh

Governments everywhere trend bureaucracy, going back to ancient times.

Revolutions occur and one bureaucracy is immediately replaced with another. One group of special interests is replaced with another or the interest simply morphs.

Once the dust settles there will likely be thousands of variations as to what went sideways and post will be spun through political lens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 11:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Really? Have a tweet of Trump saying to ignore coronavirus and go out and mingle socially, even giving suggestions?
Full transcript:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ss-conference/

Old 04-02-2020, 11:51 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Where does Trump say to ignore coronavirus and go out and mingle socially, even giving suggestions, like de Blasio did?

Here's what I see Trump said in that transcript:

"We have, through some very good early decisions — decisions that were actually ridiculed at the beginning — we closed up our borders to flights coming in from certain areas, areas that were hit by the coronavirus and hit pretty hard. And we did it very early. A lot of people thought we shouldn’t have done it that early, and we did, and it turned out to be a very good thing."

Old 04-02-2020, 11:58 AM

8,107 posts, read 3,661,082 times
Quote:
No, it's the unelected bureaucratic hierarchy at each agency. I just posted a RCP article regarding exactly that.
Nope, try again.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Nope, try again.
Don't need to. Someone much smarter than you already made my point for me:
Quote:
Throwing ever more money at an incompetent government bureaucratic agency is less than useless, it's wasteful and just exacerbates the problem.

From the Peter B. Ritzma Professor of Political Science Emeritus at the University of Chicago, where he founded the Program on International Politics, Economics, and Security:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ic_142702.html

Old 04-02-2020, 12:03 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And just like that "the greatest economy ever" comes to a close.
Don't worry.

We'll just get a new batch of smoke & mirrors and prop it up again.

Probably import 'em from China.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Eight months into Bush’s first term, 9/11 happened.

Obama inherited the mother of recessions.

In contrast, Trump walked into a robust Bull Market, recovering economy, substantially diminished unemployment numbers that were half what they were at the peak of the recession and a pipeline of new manufacturing business.

Trump coasted, tweaked this or that and took credit. Then came Corona.
I don't get why people don't understand that. Hell Bush Sr. when he was inaugurated had to bailout people screwed over by the likes of Charles Keating and other savings and loans banks that robbed people blind. To balance bailout, he had to raise taxes and break his no new taxes. That didn't sink his popularity other than with conservatives. In fact he was at a high during the Iraqi war time period, prior to the recession. Many talk about no new taxes being his downfall, it was the economy stupid.

The fact is Trump is a proven failed leader. Look at how many of his businesses go bankrupt. Under his leadership Trump Atlantic City hotels bankrupted three or four times from 1989 until 2011, before being sold to Carl Icahn. He had bought failing Eastern Airlines route and rebranded them Trump Airlines, he failed to pay $1m monthly loan payments. Trump had Trump Mortgages launch in 2006 and claimed it was a great time to get into the mortgage industry... There are numerous others like failed Trump beverages, Trump steaks and Trump University.

Trump America is next. The writing has been on the wall. Some of us have been saying this and goes on deaf ears because "The economy is good", " I like him sticking it to the liberal media" and "He is taking care of the illegal immigration problem in this country." Now I beg if you, wake up. Realize that Trump is destroying us. This virus and his handling of it is an example.

He calls this a war, yet he doesn't enact the Defense Production Act when the reports say that the National Stockpile gave its last shipments to arm his front-line
He says this is serious, yet he talks about his last briefing about some drug war and being Number one on Facebook and not the virus itself..
He said he wanted to reopen for Easter and by then scientists already knew the peak would come sometime in August.
He says the test are available, when they are clearly not getting there fast enough.
He wants to reopen the economy, but the fact is that even a reopened economy would see struggles from decreased demand. Movie theaters already saw that happen.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:10 PM

8,107 posts, read 3,661,082 times
Quote:
Don't need to. Someone much smarter than you already made my point for me:
It's a bit early to be drinking. Is CDC part of the executive branch? The end.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:09 PM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't get why people don't understand that. Hell Bush Sr. when he was inaugurated had to bailout people screwed over by the likes of Charles Keating and other savings and loans banks that robbed people blind. To balance bailout, he had to raise taxes and break his no new taxes. That didn't sink his popularity other than with conservatives. In fact he was at a high during the Iraqi war time period, prior to the recession. Many talk about no new taxes being his downfall, it was the economy stupid.

The fact is Trump is a proven failed leader. Look at how many of his businesses go bankrupt. Under his leadership Trump Atlantic City hotels bankrupted three or four times from 1989 until 2011, before being sold to Carl Icahn. He had bought failing Eastern Airlines route and rebranded them Trump Airlines, he failed to pay $1m monthly loan payments. Trump had Trump Mortgages launch in 2006 and claimed it was a great time to get into the mortgage industry... There are numerous others like failed Trump beverages, Trump steaks and Trump University.

Trump America is next. The writing has been on the wall. Some of us have been saying this and goes on deaf ears because "The economy is good", " I like him sticking it to the liberal media" and "He is taking care of the illegal immigration problem in this country." Now I beg if you, wake up. Realize that Trump is destroying us. This virus and his handling of it is an example.

He calls this a war, yet he doesn't enact the Defense Production Act when the reports say that the National Stockpile gave its last shipments to arm his front-line
He says this is serious, yet he talks about his last briefing about some drug war and being Number one on Facebook and not the virus itself..
He said he wanted to reopen for Easter and by then scientists already knew the peak would come sometime in August.
He says the test are available, when they are clearly not getting there fast enough.
He wants to reopen the economy, but the fact is that even a reopened economy would see struggles from decreased demand. Movie theaters already saw that happen.

so is Dr. Fauci lying?

Dr. Fauci: "The Response Of Trump Admin Has Been Impressive, I Can't Imagine Anybody Could Be Doing More"

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...oing_more.html

Old 04-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
It's a bit early to be drinking.
The University of Chicago is a very well-respected institution of higher education. Where'd you earn your college degrees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies