Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 07:58 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Not to excuse Trump because he owns his failures here. But a lot of local Democrats were whining about racism against Chinese businesses when they should have been shouting for tests, tests, tests. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Even Cuomo, who the media is now basically sucking his dick on live TV, should have been doing what he's doing a month ago. But he didn't have the foresight to do it a month ago.

It's almost comical to see all these people raging about what Trump should have done in January when they did nothing themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 07:59 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
The problem is, outside a few companies, we don't manufacture these tests. Even now, a lot of the tests are imported and resold here. We're not a manufacturing economy, we outsourced all that to China.

Can you imagine what Democrats would have said if Trump invoked the DPA in January and began forcing companies to make tests? They would have impeached him again.

Not to excuse Trump because he owns his failures here. But a lot of local Democrats were whining about racism against Chinese businesses when they should have been shouting for tests, tests, tests. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Even Cuomo, who the media is now basically sucking his dick on live TV, should have been doing what he's doing a month ago. But he didn't have the foresight to do it a month ago.
If Trump invoked the DPA in January to do testing at scale, I would have applauded the decision. If he had done so at the beginning of February, I would have said it was the right move. If he had done so at the beginning of March, I would have criticized the delay, but taken the position "its better late than never." Instead, it wasn't until last week that they did so, despite knowing the CDC had a major testing issue in January.

Its the same thing with the ventilators and PPE. Several states have been begging the Federal Government for ventilators and PPE since the beginning of March but instead of ramping up production, they screwed around for 5 weeks. Now that they finally invoked the DPA to ramp up ventilator and PPE production, it is going to be too little, too late because the apex is expected in 2-6 weeks which is not enough time to manufacture the necessary material.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:02 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
If Trump invoked the DPA in January to do testing at scale, I would have applauded the decision. If he had done so at the beginning of February, I would have said it was the right move. If he had done so at the beginning of March, I would have criticized the delay, but taken the position "its better late than never." Instead, it wasn't until last week that they did so, despite knowing the CDC had a major testing issue in January.

Its the same thing with the ventilators and PPE. Several states have been begging the Federal Government for ventilators and PPE since the beginning of March but instead of ramping up production, they screwed around for 5 weeks. Now that they finally invoked the DPA to ramp up ventilator and PPE production, it is going to be too little, too late because the apex is expected in 2-6 weeks which is not enough time to manufacture the necessary material.
Beginning of March? That's 1 month too late. The Fed cannot produce vents out of nowhere. Cuomo should have been doing his rounds in February, not in March. And it's not the Feds job to know how many vents each municipality needs. And if Cuomo really needs 30,000 vents tomorrow, he cannot ask for them yesterday. Chalk that up to a failure locally.

I remember watching deBlasio and the NYC health commissioner telling New Yorkers to go on their normal lives, in early March. So spread that blame around instead of fixating on Trump.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:11 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Beginning of March? That's 1 month too late. The Fed cannot produce vents out of nowhere. Cuomo should have been doing his rounds in February, not in March. And it's not the Feds job to know how many vents each municipality needs. And if Cuomo really needs 30,000 vents tomorrow, he cannot ask for them yesterday. Chalk that up to a failure locally.

I remember watching deBlasio and the NYC health commissioner telling New Yorkers to go on their normal lives, in early March. So spread that blame around instead of fixating on Trump.
Then blame every other single governor as well. Also blame Gov. DeSantis for not sheltering in place during spring break. Blame that stupid Georgia governor who just realized yesterday that healthy carriers can spread it before it attacks the body. Blame Gov. Ducey who is potentially exposing butiticans to the virus by saying beauty salons and barber shops are essential businesses. And don't forget, blame Trump who has hardly taken this crisis seriously and hasn't been an effective executive.

Cuomo and especially DeBlasio made mistakes, but there are tons other. The only reason they get attacked is because they are Democrats. I don't see people who attack them also attack the Republicans when it is warranted.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:

Why didn't those states have any stockpiles? Why didn't hospitals and medical providers - who had access to the news reporting outbreak in Wuhan and it's spread to other countries - see it coming and start stocking up in January?

Old 04-03-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then blame every other single governor as well. Also blame Gov. DeSantis for not sheltering in place during spring break. Blame that stupid Georgia governor who just realized yesterday that healthy carriers can spread it before it attacks the body. Blame Gov. Ducey who is potentially exposing butiticans to the virus by saying beauty salons and barber shops are essential businesses. And don't forget, blame Trump who has hardly taken this crisis seriously and hasn't been an effective executive.

Cuomo and especially DeBlasio made mistakes, but there are tons other. The only reason they get attacked is because they are Democrats. I don't see people who attack them also attack the Republicans when it is warranted.
I'm pointing out Democrats from NY because I know that poster is a Democrat from NY who constantly salivates to blame Trump when he has more local leaders who failed his ass, just as much if not more.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why didn't those states have any stockpiles? Why didn't hospitals and medical providers - who had access to the news reporting outbreak in Wuhan and it's spread to other countries - see it coming and start stocking up in January?
The question is why States and hospitals didn't have stockpiles sitting around decaying just in case a once-a-century pandemic suddenly strikes? No one, including the Federal Government, does that because its totally impractical. Indeed, that is the core purpose of the DPA - to be able to ramp up production at scale when needed because it is foolish to stockpile every thing for every possible eventuality.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
The question is why States and hospitals didn't have stockpiles sitting around decaying just in case a once-a-century pandemic suddenly strikes? No one, including the Federal Government, does that because its totally impractical. Indeed, that is the core purpose of the DPA - to be able to ramp up production at scale when needed because it is foolish to stockpile every thing for every possible eventuality.
It was too late by early March even. Trump waited one week after Cuomo began his media blitz. That was 1 week too late after being too late 1 month.

Let's say Trump invoked DPA and started forcing companies to after Cuomo begged him too. The vents would begin arriving 1 month later, too late for NY but maybe just in time for another state.

If he took this seriously he would have been doing his rounds in February. But that requires foresight.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'm pointing out Democrats from NY because I know that poster is a Democrat from NY who constantly salivates to blame Trump when he has more local leaders who failed his ass, just as much if not more.
Actually, I'm a registered Republican. And I have criticized Cuomo and (even moreso) deBlasio on numerous occasions with respect to their responses to covid. But I also don't hold low-level people like the person who runs the NYC Health Commissioner's twitter feed to the same standards I hold the President because the latter is both better informed (theoretically, at least) and wields exponentially more power.

I also saw Cuomo (amongst several other governors) desperately trying to make up for lost time while the President and others continued to dither. So while I think Cuomo should be faulted for not acting 10 days sooner, I fault him far less than someone like DeSantis who should have acted a month sooner.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:22 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,641 times
Quote:

When Taiwan saw an unknown virus appear in China in December, they started preparing right there...putting restrictions in place from people traveling from there. They already had a system in place to deal with a pandemic because they learned from the SARS outbreak back in the early 2000's. They were prepared and their cases of COVID were almost non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies