Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 08:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Wish we had more posters admit where they are wrong on takes..

I was wrong on the war in Iraq way back when..

Was definitely wrong on my take on Clinton's impeachment trial too.

I was wrong about importance of education ( I still think its done in a forced way though and thats why many revolt against it)

You can tell I grew up in a small town where you were basically brainwashed to believe certain ways
I mean, I took it seriously but it was made clear to me just how serious it was when my Republican governor shut down the state. And my very large employer mandated a permanent WFH status. And then we started seeing the video's out of Italy. That's when it really hit home like - maybe I need to be less cavalier about this - mainly thinking that it wouldn't get to me or anyone I know. It definitely could and I needed to be safer about how I go about my business.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:53 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Do you realize how many people die from the flu? There is a vaccine for the flu every year and 10x as many die.
People don't want to look at that. What they want is a totalitarian regime much like Orwell described in his book "1984". They don't want the freedom to make their own choices --- they want the government to make the choices for you and for them. And so shall it be ... no reset button to 1776, yet.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:58 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I was a skeptic early on here. I was 100% wrong.

This isn't the flu.

It's at least twice as virulent, probably more. The global death curve is still increasing exponentially. The incubation period for the flu is 1-4 days, for corona it's up to 14 days, that means you can go about your normal business much longer infecting other people before you get sick and realize you need to self quarantine.

The illness is MUCH worse than the flu. Bad fever for at least 8-12 days straight, even for healthy people. Chris Cuomo said he lost 13 lb in the first 3 days from night sweats. That is nasty. Chris Cuomo was a very fit and healthy person who works out and eats well.

Because the illness is so much worse than the flu, the hospitalization rate for corona is 19%, for the flu it is 2%. That's why the health care system is overwhelmed. That is also why the fatality rate is at least an order of magnitude higher.

If the health care system fails, even more tangentially affected people will die than in the official numbers due to a lack of medical resources.
Can you cite the source for this?

Old 04-03-2020, 11:00 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
OP---I give you lots of credit for saying you were wrong.

With that, may everybody stay safe and stay healthy.
Hear, hear!

Reps to you IAD.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Do you realize how many people die from the flu? There is a vaccine for the flu every year and 10x as many die.
Significantly higher mortality rate, significantly higher rate of transmission.

This is not the flu.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...sclient=psy-ab

Old 04-03-2020, 11:07 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
i was an early adopter. planned to be home a week before this thing kicked into high gear. was going to keep my kids home but the schools decided to extend spring break so i didn't have to buck that system. I urged pastor friends to limit services and our church held its last service in the building early in the process.

my concern has never been the deaths associated with CV19 in isolation. It has always been
1. the percentage of patients who need hospitalization
2. the impact on non-CV19 sick people that will have diminished care because of the first issue.

These are exactly what is playing out. we will end up with a high number of deaths. it will be at or greater than the total number of deaths from the flu this year (which is also quite high).

what we may never know is the impact on those who are very ill from other issues that will die because they could not get care due to CV19.

because it sadly seems necessary to state my affiliation.... I am a very conservative person and a very committed Trump supporter.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Leave medicine to the physicians and the CDC. There is no way that you can acquire the knowledge and judgement of 13 years of training and decades of experience through a few internet searches.

Unlike what some conspiracy theorists think, we gain no advantage by propagating a "hoax". In fact, about half of medical practices in the US will go bankrupt from this.
Again, reps to you Hawkeye. You're a better man than me, I probably would've left this forum a couple of weeks ago if I was a healthcare worker.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:09 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
It's still too early to tell...
No it isn't.

Quote:
No one is saying it's the flu.
Covid-19 is a corona virus, the same viral family which the common cold is derived from.
I had the same false perception before. The coronavirus family only causes 20% of colds (this from a physician on here). This is nothing like a common cold in the effect it has.

Quote:
It's a new virus, so obviously many people will get infected. BUT based on the official numbers, this virus has not approached anywhere close to the number of infections we typically see with the common cold or seasonal flu.
And that's because most people are doing their best to avoid exposing themselves. That doesn't happen with colds.

Quote:
It's already suspected that tens of millions have been infected with the virus and have not shown any symptoms at all or had very mild symptoms.
A LOT of people have been infected and are not showing symptoms, yes, because the incubation period is up to 14 days.

Quote:
No it isn't, at least not yet, only time will tell.
Yes it is, and no we don't need more time to tell.

Quote:
The flu infects and kills more people every year than this virus has so far. Once again, your assumptions are premature.
You are failing to understand exponential growth here. Take a statistics course or watch a youtube video, one or the other.

Quote:
The majority of cases, over 80% have only mild symptoms.
Incorrect. The symptoms are manageable and do not require hospitalization in 80% of cases, they are anything but mild.

Quote:
I probably had it about two weeks ago. Started with a sore throat then I had night sweats for one night. I took some natural herbals + colloidal copper & silver and I felt better within 36 hours, it didn't develop into anything.
Or you just had a cold, those are still more common.

Quote:
I haven't truly been sick in at least 15 years. I've been infected with colds and probably flu's numerous times but the natural medicines I use have worked 100% of the time in quickly dealing with the infections. I no longer go to physicians since my experience with natural medicine has been vastly superior -- but I will say that I've spent at least a decade studying natural medicine, I've put in the time & research to know what works and what doesn't, what is snake oil and what isn't.
I'm similar to you in a lot of ways, that's why I didn't take this as seriously as it deserved in the beginning. You are just as vulnerable as others, please look at this more closely and educate yourself. I agree with a lot of your points here. This is what western medicine fails at. By failing to look at overall wellness and health and just treating disease, it leads to worse outcomes for many people. But there are times when we still need science and western medicine. HIV was one. This is another.

Quote:
The healthcare system WILL FAIL if we keep our economy shut down for much longer.
The economy is the last thing anyone needs to worry about right now.

Last edited by atltechdude; 04-03-2020 at 11:30 AM..

Old 04-03-2020, 11:10 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Significantly higher mortality rate, significantly higher rate of transmission.

This is not the flu.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...sclient=psy-ab
Coronavirus Dashboard --- live feed

Old 04-03-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
...I had this over new years and it wasn't that bad. I have seen tons of news stories of people who had it without symptoms...
Tested and confirmed that it was CV-19 or you got sick and are "just sure" that it had to be CV-19?

Yes, many people have mild/no symptoms.

Then there are many people who are otherwise young and healthy and it ends up killing them or putting them in ICU.

https://www.livescience.com/genes-fo...-severity.html

What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies