Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 12:54 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
It's looking better and better as each day goes by. One virology expert I read said this drug represents the beginning of the end of the pandemic
That expert is Dr. Stephen Smith.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
As I said at the beginning of all of this, many doctors have been taking and using Hydroxychloroquine for a month before Trump even knew the name of the drug. Doctor chat rooms from all over the world were talking about anecdotal success with the drug since late January. We were not relying on a tiny study out of France. The laboratory science behind it is sound, as it was for past RNA viruses dating back 20 years. Will every person that gets it recover? No. Will every patient that doesn’t get it die? No.

Something that some people on the right don’t understand, Dr. Fauci said the absolute responsible thing for a man in his position.

Something some people on the left dont understand, Trumps optimism about the drug was not a stab in the dark.

Correct

Old 04-03-2020, 01:03 PM

The drugs were not being presecribed enough early on because they were off-label, and not FDA approved for Covid-19, so Docs were afraid to prescribe them in large numbers likely due to malpractice fears.

Then, when the FDA aproved them, all the medical community began using them as a preventative barrier against becoming infected by patients. There was a supply shortage. The fact that Doctors were hoarding supply for themselves, and their family members speaks volumes about their effectiveness.

Also, more people are becoming infected than are taking the cocktail, and it takes 1-5 days for the cocktail to work. After a person recovers, it could take 3 days for their recovery to be shown in the stats we all see. There's a time lag.

So, lots of reasons, but they will all subside as supplies become more plentiful, and they are more widely used, and a few more days pass to offset the reporting delays.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
By contrast, check out this WaPo article from last week:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ands-new-york/
I keep scouring the web looking for results from the NYC Cuomo-Trump tst of 1,100 sick Covid-19 patients that began March 24th...10 days ago. It was a 6-day test. Results have been known for 4 days, yet nothing can be found. Why? If they were bad results, we'd have heard about it to stop the Trump Drug rollout.

If has to be good news, but why not report it? I think its to prevent a run on those meds.

In scouring the web looking for those results, I found Dr. Zeleko's 698 NYC successfully treated patients article from a Middle Eastern newsletter. Dr. Zelesko's a Hasidic Jew, which is why it popped up in Israel, and other parts of the Middle East. I didnt know Hannity showed Zelesko's test to Pence just 1 day after I found out about it. I don't do cable tv. A Hannity staffer must have found out about Zelesko's test the same day I had. Pence told Trump about it, and Trump pushed even harder for FDA approval and to get the 1M doses from Israel.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:26 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I keep scouring the web looking for results from the NYC Cuomo-Trump tst of 1,100 sick Covid-19 patients that began March 24th...10 days ago. It was a 6-day test. Results have been known for 4 days, yet nothing can be found. Why? If they were bad results, we'd have heard about it to stop the Trump Drug rollout.

If has to be good news, but why not report it? I think its to prevent a run on those meds.

In scouring the web looking for those results, I found Dr. Zeleko's 698 NYC successfully treated patients article from a Middle Eastern newsletter. Dr. Zelesko's a Hasidic Jew, which is why it popped up in Israel, and other parts of the Middle East. I didnt know Hannity showed Zelesko's test to Pence just 1 day after I found out about it. I don't do cable tv. A Hannity staffer must have found out about Zelesko's test the same day I had. Pence told Trump about it, and Trump pushed even harder for FDA approval and to get the 1M doses from Israel.

Dr Zelesko is a quack. Literally no medical professional would ever go on the record saying something is 100% effective. It's impossible for anything to be 100% effective. And effective how? Preventing deaths? Fixing their high blood pressure?

Old 04-03-2020, 01:44 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It’s not a “completely different disease.” It’s a variant of SARS-CoV, hence SARS-CoV-2
Yes, it is. They're both coronaviruses that produce respiratory symptoms. That's why it's called SARS-CoV-2. They already had SARS-CoV-1, a completely different disease.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:53 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The drugs were not being presecribed enough early on because they were off-label, and not FDA approved for Covid-19, so Docs were afraid to prescribe them in large numbers likely due to malpractice fears.

Then, when the FDA aproved them, all the medical community began using them as a preventative barrier against becoming infected by patients. There was a supply shortage. The fact that Doctors were hoarding supply for themselves, and their family members speaks volumes about their effectiveness.

Also, more people are becoming infected than are taking the cocktail, and it takes 1-5 days for the cocktail to work. After a person recovers, it could take 3 days for their recovery to be shown in the stats we all see. There's a time lag.

So, lots of reasons, but they will all subside as supplies become more plentiful, and they are more widely used, and a few more days pass to offset the reporting delays.
And they aren't FDA-approved now and won't be anytime soon. Nobody is waiting around for the FDA approval because of some non-existent fear of malpractice. Trump can rant and rave all he wants and it isn't going to make the FDA approve them for use in Covid-19 next week, next month, or next year. No reason to. It's an approved drug for malaria so from the FDA's standpoint there's no reason for them to rush it through trials the way they would a non-approved drug. Doctors can just do what they're already doing and have been doing for the last 17 years when they started prescribing it for SARS.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:11 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Dr Zelesko is a quack. Literally no medical professional would ever go on the record saying something is 100% effective. It's impossible for anything to be 100% effective. And effective how? Preventing deaths? Fixing their high blood pressure?
This is what he said....

"Since last Thursday, my team has treated approximately 350 patients in Kiryas Joel and another 150 patients in other areas of New York with the above regimen. Of this group and the information provided to me by affiliated medical teams, we have had ZERO deaths, ZERO hospitalizations, and ZERO intubations. In addition, I have not heard of any negative side effects other than approximately 10% of patients with temporary nausea and diarrhea."

Old 04-03-2020, 02:16 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
And they aren't FDA-approved now and won't be anytime soon. Nobody is waiting around for the FDA approval because of some non-existent fear of malpractice. Trump can rant and rave all he wants and it isn't going to make the FDA approve them for use in Covid-19 next week, next month, or next year. No reason to. It's an approved drug for malaria so from the FDA's standpoint there's no reason for them to rush it through trials the way they would a non-approved drug. Doctors can just do what they're already doing and have been doing for the last 17 years when they started prescribing it for SARS.
FDA Approves Anti-Malarial Drugs Chloroquine And Hydroxychloroquine For Emergency Coronavirus Treatment

The Food and Drug Administration on Sunday issued an emergency authorization for experimental coronavirus treatments using chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, anti-malaria drugs touted by President Donald Trump despite inconclusive clinical proof of their efficacy.

The Department of Health and Human Services said Sunday hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine products can be distributed and prescribed by doctors through the Strategic National Stockpile “to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible.”

The agency is fast-tracking a process that usually takes years while the FDA conducts clinical trials in New York, a hot spot for the virus.

HHS said the emergency authorization was issued because the potential benefits of the product outweigh the risks
and acknowledged that “anecdotal reports suggest that these drugs may offer some benefit in the treatment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients,” but cautioned that “clinical trials are needed to provide scientific evidence that these treatments are effective.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#7eccd7ce5e5d

Old 04-03-2020, 02:39 PM

7,922 posts, read 3,462,774 times
The problem with this thread is that no one in it is posting from a hospital bed while hooked up to a ventilator. Not that I wish that on anyone but it would offer a much needed perspective that seems to be lacking in many of the replies I'm seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies