Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 06:34 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Or he'd be subjected, unjustly to the 25th Amendment. Though in no way do I advocate this for this great President. He needs to do a bit of gentle guiding before doing what he needs to do, decreeing a reopening.
Pence isn't a moron and thus would never make such a declaration....certainly not for restoring the people's freedom.
I hope you are right but he needs some cover for a reopening decision. On a hopeful note Trump announce(d) second task force on reopening US as he weighs 'biggest decision I've ever had to make'. In other words he has decided what he wants to do; now he needs some academic or political wrapping for the gift to America.

Bucking the direction of most other world governments, public health officials and academic types takes a bit more than courage.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
Counterpoint:

US should never have been shut down like this to begin with. It cost trillions of dollars and up to 20 million jobs. I think it was done by the frenzied media and democrat governors to wreck the economy and have a shot in the next election.
To quote your dear leader, WRONG. Without doing that we would crash the economy anyway. It wouldn't be as fast, but eventually we would be roughly in the same spot. We would need to enact social distancing, but we would see more death and even more debt write-offs due to death.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:04 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
People over 70 or with precarious medical conditions should probably stay home, but other than that this was a total waste of time because of the kung flu. Even a novel one.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:08 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
I think it was done by the frenzied media and democrat governors to wreck the economy and have a shot in the next election.
And the rest of the world followed suit for grins and giggles, got it.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I hope you are right but he needs some cover for a reopening decision. On a hopeful note Trump announce(d) second task force on reopening US as he weighs 'biggest decision I've ever had to make'. In other words he has decided what he wants to do; now he needs some academic or political wrapping for the gift to America.

Bucking the direction of most other world governments, public health officials and academic types takes a bit more than courage.
The problem is I don't trust him. More and more Americans do not as well. He is proving himself to be a fraud. He claims he has a plan in his head to reopen but he can easily reopen us and we become Hong Kong or China and actually have more cases again. We are not even on the downside of the curve.

Reopening the economy needs to involve doctors, governors and state medical experts to know when what states can open. Many states are just about to hit the peak over the next 30 days. In June we will know better on what the plan should look like.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:40 PM

715 posts, read 889,081 times
All of our failures which is why Russia wanted Trump in power can be shown to the world and inspire anti democratic society and they have that ammunition now which was well played by Putin and Xi. We killed ourselves and leaving a very bleak future just like we let China take our intellectual property and liberal Universities over who hold massive amounts of data and research.

We are the reality tv show that people make fun of which is lead by a guy who bankrupted his own businesses and stiffs vendors and looked to the federal government for a bailout. Learn Mandarin as you will need it...

Old 04-10-2020, 07:41 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
All of our failures which is why Russia wanted Trump in power can be shown to the world and inspire anti democratic society and they have that ammunition now which was well played by Putin and Xi. We killed ourselves and leaving a very bleak future just like we let China take our intellectual property and liberal Universities over who hold massive amounts of data and research.

We are the reality tv show that people make fun of which is lead by a guy who bankrupted his own businesses and stiffs vendors and looked to the federal government for a bailout. Learn Mandarin as you will need it...
Not so fast. Your anointed messiah Joe Biden will save us from China by defeating the evil Donald Trump. He will sniff China's hair into submission and fondle all of their little girls until they relent.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:51 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I'm of the opinion it's time to start reopening America. I think there is enough real-world data to at least start looking at this.

Perhaps a zoned approach would be appropriate based on population density, current infection rates, and risk of future infections. Perhaps keep interstate and international travel to a minimum until a threshold of decreasing infections is met.

We, especially the governors of states, really need to start evaluating actual state-by state results against modeled predictions because we may be shooting ourselves in the foot by creating a one size fits all risk profile. The predictions seem to get less dire every week as real-world data is fed into the models. Really, I don't trust the models, their base assumptions, or the data being fed into them. If they are using the same type of model they used to predict global warming results, then I really give them very little credence. Governors should look at the actual, discernible patterns within their state and auditors need to be evaluating data for accuracy. For example, not everyone with CV dies from CV, but their deaths are being attributed to the virus and that is erroneously driving up the death rate.

Manufacturing is ramping up for PPE, distribution lines are sound thanks to our not so crumbling infrastructure. The malaria drug looks more and more promising every day. How are those conditions presented to the predictive models? Are they even used?

Has our fear of contracting the virus been used to shape a political outcome? I'm all about erring on the side of safety, but ruining the economy of the US with this near total shutdown is not a smart move for any political party. We need to get the nation off of its knees.

I'm thinking we should start looking at it. What do you think? Still too early?
Tell you what. As soon as they “open up the economy” go ahead and jump right in. I mean go to church, go to the movies, go to restaurants, concerts, sporting events, malls, etc. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Having said that, don’t count on me or my family doing the same.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:09 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is I don't trust him. More and more Americans do not as well. He is proving himself to be a fraud. He claims he has a plan in his head to reopen but he can easily reopen us and we become Hong Kong or China and actually have more cases again. We are not even on the downside of the curve.

Reopening the economy needs to involve doctors, governors and state medical experts to know when what states can open. Many states are just about to hit the peak over the next 30 days. In June we will know better on what the plan should look like.
Probably why many states have extended their restrictions until June 10th.

I feel there is something larger taking place 'behind the scenes' though, I dont think its 100% due to the virus.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:13 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Tell you what. As soon as they “open up the economy” go ahead and jump right in. I mean go to church, go to the movies, go to restaurants, concerts, sporting events, malls, etc. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Having said that, don’t count on me or my family doing the same.
The states are not going to OPEN ANYTHING just yet...if they did, they would be risking lots of lawsuits if people started getting sick, they will wait 10 months if they have to, they will NOT open a second earlier then is 100% safe, (that is probably going to be when a vaccine is created ultimately).

The states do not really have any other choice but to wait it out.

And imo, the US economy is already collapsed, no point in making this situation worse than it has to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies