Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2020, 03:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona seems to be if the mindset of many on here and wants Dr. Fauci to step aside so the economy can reopen...
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tter_azcentral

Old 04-13-2020, 03:30 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
It's becoming obvious that many here don't understand the difference between reading statistical information, and the expertise needed in order to draw conclusions from that information. I am certain however, that the various professional health organizations will be up to the task of determining the proper time, and the reasonable measures necessary for the gradual re-opening of those shuttered businesses. Trump has made it clear the he will make some decisions with regard to how soon, and how it will be done, for the rest of us it's a waiting game.
Remember folks, you have to be a field expert for any subject a statistic represents before you can make a valid conclusion about what that statistic means. That's why media presents statistics to people every single day, so that they can derive no conclusion or make no inference to their meaning whatsoever. They just want to remind you of the many things in which you lack expertise.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:06 PM

8,122 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
So they say.

In parts of northern Europe, Sweden in particular, they just been doing the social distancing thing and haven't shut down everything. They don't seem to be having major issues.
Well, compared to its neighbors, Sweden currently has much much higher death rate.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:09 PM

52,200 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, compared to its neighbors, Sweden currently has much much higher death rate.
That may be true. I haven't researched the numbers, just keep hearing how Sweden isn't take more steps as other countries is all I was thinking.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:13 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona seems to be if the mindset of many on here and wants Dr. Fauci to step aside so the economy can reopen...
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tter_azcentral
Welll, this is what I'm talkin bout, yeah.... Andy Biggs, isn't he a national renown expert on--well, almost everything? This voice, coming from the mouth of a truly ignorant man, THIS is the S-eye-en-ss we've all been waiting for, hallelujah, praise Andy..

Old 04-13-2020, 04:18 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That may be true. I haven't researched the numbers, just keep hearing how Sweden isn't take more steps as other countries is all I was thinking.
Sweden has a death rate right now of 8.6 percent. So no, they're not looking so good.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:33 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
It's becoming obvious that many here don't understand the difference between reading statistical information, and the expertise needed in order to draw conclusions from that information. I am certain however, that the various professional health organizations will be up to the task of determining the proper time, and the reasonable measures necessary for the gradual re-opening of those shuttered businesses. Trump has made it clear the he will make some decisions with regard to how soon, and how it will be done, for the rest of us it's a waiting game.
I don't see Trump making decisions on anything other than allowing international flights and opening the borders. He is not going to be deciding when restaurants and schools opening in Kansas, he didn't direct the state shutdowns so why would he be involved in the openings. He is not really clear on what he might be opening up but what else is new.

We are a long ways off from opening our borders.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Sweden has a death rate right now of 8.6 percent. So no, they're not looking so good.
Yeah, they thought they may be safe when simply ignoring the worldwide majority response. There is no logical rationale for that bit of stupidity, but that's what happens when economics trumps health considerations. Proper responses to events like COVID 19 are sadly being weighed against the almighty consumer drive, death as opposed to a difficult life. Such is the modern day anxiety, what to do? What to do?

"There may be an implementation of more strict coronavirus guidelines. According to Swedish media reports, the government is looking to the Swedish parliament to give it the power to impose emergency measures like shutting businesses and public transport, which for the most part remain open,"

Old 04-13-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't see Trump making decisions on anything other than allowing international flights and opening the borders. He is not going to be deciding when restaurants and schools opening in Kansas, he didn't direct the state shutdowns so why would he be involved in the openings. He is not really clear on what he might be opening up but what else is new.

We are a long ways off from opening our borders.
I'm posting with the early day media reports of Trumps (open America) proclamation in mind. But that will be another bridge to cross and we'll see how far his power can be extended, for now, he'll be listening to the experts and hopefully won't be persuaded to turn them away in order to salve his base.

What the hell is wrong with people who think the experts need our input, or need us to lead the charge of, everthin's gonna be all-rite, reassurances. Businesses that are closed will open when those experts feel it's safe to do so, and they will SAY that, "open up the closed business," there won't be stats to discuss, there won't be a need for peanut gallery speculation, no, those people in the NIH, CDC, and WHO will let us know-- in no uncertain terms..

Old 04-13-2020, 05:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Welll, this is what I'm talkin bout, yeah.... Andy Biggs, isn't he a national renown expert on--well, almost everything? This voice, coming from the mouth of a truly ignorant man, THIS is the S-eye-en-ss we've all been waiting for, hallelujah, praise Andy..
Andy Biggs is a good for nothing conservative blowhard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies