Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 12:30 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Based on what exactly?
Based on epidemiological models of the disease and its spread. If it's spreading like wildfire, like now, reopening the country would be foolhardy and dangerous.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:34 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No we don't. People can come and go as they please, there are no border checks between states preventing people from going where they want.
Normally yes, but right now, were as close as it gets to quarantine. Isn't RI using cops to keep fleeing NYers out of their state? If you are traveling state to state, where are you stopping other than gas stations and drive-thrus? What else is open?

Old 04-03-2020, 12:38 PM

7,238 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
I am interested in the antibody test. My prediction is that we are going to find that lots of people have already had this virus and are resistant to it now.
Totally with you. The moment this is available to me I am getting it.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:39 PM

1,070 posts, read 392,609 times
Quote:
I would ask county governments to make risk assessments based on known infections, population density, and death rate if any exist. I would expect Wake and Mecklenburg counties to have different conditions than other counties. I would look long and hard at either reopening selected classes in controlled locations or putting courseware online to move students toward graduation. Do we want to have students just repeat their current grades? Provide masks and tests when available. If counties think it is too risky based on the numbers, then I would respect that. If not schools, could we get some part of manufacturing up and running? How can we bolster distribution across the state? The state is losing tax revenue by the day.

We have to keep moving forward, either through conventional or unconventional means. Come on, we are innovative. It's time to put the thinking caps on. The question should not be "should we", it should be "HOW CAN WE" and once we figure that out, document successful actions into state emergency plans for the next time China lets some deadly virus slip out of one of their labs.
I've been retired for two years - I was a small biz owner for 15 years. (I happen to live in Raleigh, NC (Wake County).

The only biz that I would remotely consider opening these days is a virtual biz with contractors (1099's). If I hired employees and had to provide health insurance it would probably cost $1 million per employee per year. I can't imagine calling BlueCross and saying "I'm starting a new biz and need health insurance - what group rate can I get?" They wouldn't bother to answer - they'd just laugh and hangup.

So, I'd need to find/hire contractors who don't need health insurance - perhaps their spouse has insurance and he/she would get insurance coverage thru his/her spouse.

Now, I gotta find customers thru my new website. Potential customers would ask the normal - now painful - questions including "what's your track record?"

I can't imagine how this could work - I'll stay retired thank-you-very-much

Old 04-03-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Based on epidemiological models of the disease and its spread. If it's spreading like wildfire, like now, reopening the country would be foolhardy and dangerous.
In certain places, I agree. In other places it is not.

I think we should start looking at it now and balance ramped-up manufacturing of all things CV with the gradual reopening of the least impacted parts of America.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:42 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,359 times
And China's lying and covering up continues...as does its production of cheap ass junk!

Old 04-03-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
And China's lying and covering up continues...as does its production of cheap ass junk!
Say Columbus, your iPhone was made in China - is it "cheap ass junk? - just curious

Old 04-03-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
I've been retired for two years - I was a small biz owner for 15 years. (I happen to live in Raleigh, NC (Wake County).

The only biz that I would remotely consider opening these days is a virtual biz with contractors (1099's). If I hired employees and had to provide health insurance it would probably cost $1 million per employee per year. I can't imagine calling BlueCross and saying "I'm starting a new biz and need health insurance - what group rate can I get?" They wouldn't bother to answer - they'd just laugh and hangup.

So, I'd need to find/hire contractors who don't need health insurance - perhaps their spouse has insurance and he/she would get insurance coverage thru his/her spouse.

Now, I gotta find customers thru my new website. Potential customers would ask the normal - now painful - questions including "what's your track record?"

I can't imagine how this could work - I'll stay retired thank-you-very-much
It's definitely not a good environment to start a business, but what about reopening one with all those things already in place? Pretty soon, people are going to need their AC units serviced/fixed. Can we reopen those?

Old 04-03-2020, 12:48 PM

Just out ... via NYPost:

"
The researchers announced their findings Thursday and believe the vaccine could be rolled out quickly enough to “significantly impact the spread of disease,” according to their study published in EBioMedicine.

The vaccine would be delivered on a small, fingertip-sized patch. When tested on mice, the vaccine produced enough antibodies believed to successfully counteract the virus.

[…]

“These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus,” read a statement from co-senior author Andrea Gambotto, M.D., associate professor of surgery at the Pitt School of Medicine.

“We knew exactly where to fight this new virus.”

[…]

Researchers said they sided with using a patch, rather than a traditional needle, to deliver the spike protein to the skin, which elicits the strongest immune reaction.

The patch contains 400 tiny “microneedles” made of sugar and protein pieces. It would be applied like a Band-Aid with the needles dissolving into the skin.

The vaccine would be “highly scalable” for widespread use, the researchers said in a news release.
"

We are getting closer every single day.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
It's definitely not a good environment to start a business, but what about reopening one with all those things already in place? Pretty soon, people are going to need their AC units serviced/fixed. Can we reopen those?
I ain't hiring people to go into homes to fix AC units or do plumbing etc.

Jobs/biz that require human contact - restaurants, mfg., retail etc. gotta be dying on the vine or soon will be.

We're still in the first inning of this game from what I can tell. A lotta people are already talking about "getting back to normal." I don't see this happening for a long time - months. And then, it'll be a slow ramp-up. Nd, we only ramp up if we don't see another Corona attack in several months which seems to be predicted

JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies