Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:39 PM

10,150 posts, read 15,847,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Peter Navarro was on Tucker Carlson at 8:30pm tonight talking about this order and he specifically stated the exemptions for Canada and Mexico.
Peter Navarro is in charge of all things related to the defense production act and has been one of trumps right hand guys for most of the trade deal negotiations, so this is straight from the horse's mouth.
There shouldn't be exceptions for Canada and Mexico. Especially in times like this we must put our own people first, something liberals and Democrats will never understand since they've always put globalist desires before the U.S., which is why they signed these unfair trade agreements like NAFTA and all these deals with China that resulted in the near total loss of heavy industry in America.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:43 PM

1,768 posts, read 710,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Again, this is your assertion. Show us a link we can see what was said. I linked and referenced all my assertions in the OP.
https://video.foxnews.com/v/6146995664001#sp=show-clips

At 4:30. It is a good segment and I would recommend watching all 5 minutes though.
Again, he is the US Defense production act policy coordinator - so he is the guy who actually is in charge of implementing these things.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:44 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,564,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The source of all this, once again for y'all liberals, is the decimation of American manufacturing in general due to unfair trade agreements that YOU people have signed, such as NAFTA and the TPP and allowing China in the WTO. We need to bring our supply chains for medical supplies BACK to the USA. It's no longer just about protecting American jobs, which of course is important, its about our own vital national interests and national security. Even with the Defense Production Act, we hardly make anything in this country anymore. You go anywhere in the Rust Belt, you see dying towns and cities, widespread abandonment and hopelessness. Ohio and Pennsylvania are a combination of crumbling former factories and dying coal towns due to unfair trade and government overregulation and globalist policies.

Maybe finally after this we will bring some manufacturing, at least medications and medical supplies back to our own country vs depend on the whims of foreign nations.
I watched a documentary earlier, I found it interesting and here is the post to mention it.

Manufacturing is the least of the worries ... so are trade deals.

"IOUSA One Nation Under Debt in Stress"
"Throughout history, the American government has found it nearly impossible to spend only what has been raised through taxes."

Old 04-03-2020, 11:47 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,142,034 times
Quote:
Again, this is your assertion. Show us a link we can see what was said. I linked and referenced all my assertions in the OP.

Show us where 3M masks are made of paper.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:48 PM

929 posts, read 397,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I heard on the news tonight that something people will learn from all of this is 'supply chain'.

The reason we do not manufacture in America any more is because it is cheaper to import from other countries and the u.s. loves to consume at the lower prices. Also (i don't know who, or how many) there are u.s. manufacturing companies that have branched out to various locations around the world; they pay u.s. taxes and they export the manufactured goods from those other countries, back to the u.s. so the u.s. consumer can consume them, again at a lower price. That puts the government winning in the tax column and the consumer winning in the lower price column ... sorry about your revolution.
Yes ... all the way back to George Washington.
It turns out we are now paying quadruple what we thought were cheap items, many paid with their life. A huge risk to our country and national security, if we have to spend more on things we need then so be it...we learned our lessons this time. People's mindset will change, less consumption of foreign garbage stuff and more on what we make here.

This should be front and center: are we willing to destroy the future of our nation so we can buy cheap items?

The revolution will start, watch and see--Peter Navarro already has plans in the works as directed by Trump, starting with Big Pharma and medical supply chain!

Last edited by MaryoVilla; 04-03-2020 at 11:57 PM..

Old 04-03-2020, 11:56 PM

33,092 posts, read 12,337,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The source of all this, once again for y'all liberals, is the decimation of American manufacturing in general due to unfair trade agreements that YOU people have signed, such as NAFTA and the TPP and allowing China in the WTO. We need to bring our supply chains for medical supplies BACK to the USA. It's no longer just about protecting American jobs, which of course is important, its about our own vital national interests and national security. Even with the Defense Production Act, we hardly make anything in this country anymore. You go anywhere in the Rust Belt, you see dying towns and cities, widespread abandonment and hopelessness. Ohio and Pennsylvania are a combination of crumbling former factories and dying coal towns due to unfair trade and government overregulation and globalist policies.

Maybe finally after this we will bring some manufacturing, at least medications and medical supplies back to our own country vs depend on the whims of foreign nations.

The poster you're replying to isn't a Democrat in the United States. He's a Canadian.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:57 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,290,577 times
Straight up TDS thread.

People need to hurry up and get back to work.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:58 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,576,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
ouch. that’s gonna leave a mark.
wonder why OP ignored it?
So you have no concerns that the pulp used for masks and other protective gear is diverted elsewhere. After all, what's the big deal, right?

I can't believe the shortsightedness of so many Americans. You are so insular and myopic not realizing how much you are hurting yourselves in the long run. How quickly you forget the help other nations gave you after 9/11, and Katrina, particular Canada. And every major hurricane helping to restore electricity. What short memories.

But you know what? Canada has long memories. Do you think that even if Biden gets in that this will go away? Not a chance. Once bitten, twice shy. Strategic raw materials will be used in a way that Canada's interests can not be compromised. Canada is part of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. The USA is not. Of course, the trade won't stop between the world's largest two-way trade, but don't expect favors. Karma works both ways.

I wonder if all that electrical power flowing from Quebec went west and to the Maritimes rather than south to the North East? What possible effects would that have for many?

But Canada would not shut off the lights to the USA. Canada is much more honorable and actually sticks with the agreements it made. It always has. The USA? Not a reliable partner, especially after Trump. Which is sad, because the vast majority of Americans, the actual people, are good and honorable people. It is the USA as a country that has shown not to be an honest partner.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:03 AM

1,768 posts, read 710,581 times
Quote:
So you have no concerns that the pulp used for masks and other protective gear is diverted elsewhere. After all, what's the big deal, right?

I can't believe the shortsightedness of so many Americans. You are so insular and myopic not realizing how much you are hurting yourselves in the long run. How quickly you forget the help other nations gave you after 9/11, and Katrina, particular Canada. And every major hurricane helping to restore electricity. What short memories.

But you know what? Canada has long memories. Do you think that even if Biden gets in that this will go away? Not a chance. Once bitten, twice shy. Strategic raw materials will be used in a way that Canada's interests can not be compromised. Canada is part of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. The USA is not. Of course, the trade won't stop between the world's largest two-way trade, but don't expect favors. Karma works both ways.

I wonder if all that electrical power flowing from Quebec went west and to the Maritimes rather than south to the North East? What possible effects would that have for many?

But Canada would not shut off the lights to the USA. Canada is much more honorable and actually sticks with the agreements it made. It always has. The USA? Not a reliable partner, especially after Trump. Which is sad, because the vast majority of Americans, the actual people, are good and honorable people. It is the USA as a country that has shown not to be an honest partner.
Did you even bother to read my post? This entire thread is based on a false premise and I posted the proof a few post above.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:06 AM

929 posts, read 397,618 times
Quote:

These are pipe dreams....if we could only start pulling the billions of foreign aid we are handing out. Ask blackface Trudeau next time how much he has contributed to world peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.