Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
We still need to ensure food is on grocery store shelves, clean water comes out of the faucet, the lights turn on, the trash gets picked up, and—critically—we continue to get the health care we need.

I think the country via the federal government should consider COVID-19-related essential workers akin to active duty military personnel and offer a benefits package that reflects their heightened duties and risks. A more effective testing program would also help those workplaces stay safer.

The classic epidemiological approach to controlling disease is not to shut down society; it’s to target the people you know to have the disease and understand who they’re spreading it to. But we aren't at that point yet. Because we don’t have enough testing to know who has the disease. We need to fix that ASAP.
Looks like LA doesn't like to test so people don't know if they have it or not. The hospitals seem based on media reports to be just as overwhelmed as NYC and they just wait for people to go into cardiac arrest and they send an ambulance if the person is revived they are ordered to wait a long time to see if they lose it again and if they do that's it.

Maybe Calfornia should have did more testing like Iceland, Taiwan, South Korea for all who needed a test and had symptoms.

In LA, it looks like they are refusing to test and if they go into cardiac arrest from COVID-19 they will come and even one is revived they wait to see if they lose a pulse even and if they do that is it, no transport because the flimsy hospital network is completely overwhelmed.

Los Angeles is completely overwhelmed with Cardiac Arrests that the county has told them to wait 5 minutes after they come back to transport a patient to a hospital.

LA seems like they are more desperate than NYC. NYC will transport if they revive them, LA they have to wait five minutes.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a...irus-pandemic/

Lots of people likely want tests in California, but Gavin Newsom has done all he can to manipulate the numbers and make the numbers look low.

Not only that but there are lots of people in California living in communal living envornments or multiple families to a house that are showing symptoms and can only get a few groceries at once who have lots of symptoms but have no choice then to go to the stores or they starve.

Lots of people like in very, very dense apartment buildings with one communal door and one communal elevator packed like sardines with other families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 04:38 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You suppose the sheriffs police arrested/handcuffed and booked him while maintaining the appropriate distancing?
And public enemy #1 paddle boarder is facing a possible jail sentence. Im sure the jails aren't overcrowded out there.
In a recent Economist article, they're planning to reduce the daily L.A. County Jail population from 17K to 15k and there's orders not to arrest anyone for drug dealing, prostitution or Trespassing. The possibility of this guy going to Jail is subzero!

Old 04-06-2020, 08:15 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
As long as there are exceptions for "essential" persons the spread will not be stopped. Btw, do these "essential" workers all live alone?
The goal isn't to stop the spread altogether - we missed that boat (hopefully in the future the world will learn from this and take quicker action for future new viruses). The goal is to slow the spread enough so that the healthcare system doesn't collapse as a result of being overloaded with severe COVID-19 cases (which around 20% of all infections go on to become).

Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Looks like LA doesn't like to test so people don't know if they have it or not. The hospitals seem based on media reports to be just as overwhelmed as NYC and they just wait for people to go into cardiac arrest and they send an ambulance if the person is revived they are ordered to wait a long time to see if they lose it again and if they do that's it.

Maybe Calfornia should have did more testing like Iceland, Taiwan, South Korea for all who needed a test and had symptoms.

In LA, it looks like they are refusing to test and if they go into cardiac arrest from COVID-19 they will come and even one is revived they wait to see if they lose a pulse even and if they do that is it, no transport because the flimsy hospital network is completely overwhelmed.

Los Angeles is completely overwhelmed with Cardiac Arrests that the county has told them to wait 5 minutes after they come back to transport a patient to a hospital.

LA seems like they are more desperate than NYC. NYC will transport if they revive them, LA they have to wait five minutes.

Lots of people likely want tests in California, but Gavin Newsom has done all he can to manipulate the numbers and make the numbers look low.

Not only that but there are lots of people in California living in communal living envornments or multiple families to a house that are showing symptoms and can only get a few groceries at once who have lots of symptoms but have no choice then to go to the stores or they starve.

Lots of people like in very, very dense apartment buildings with one communal door and one communal elevator packed like sardines with other families.
Yeah, I live in such a building, as does most everyone in my city except the ultra wealthy. So even going out at all is a risk, since the virus can linger in air for hours, and in an elevator, ventilation is minimal.

After this ordeal is over, I'm going to buy a house somewhere cheaper. I don't want to worry every time I take my dog out for a walk (as much as I love her, I tried training her to use a potty pad, but it seems she's not intelligent enough to learn to do this at 4 years old).

Old 04-06-2020, 08:59 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

What are you blathering on about now. You are totally off topic but I'll just note:

As I stated in that other thread, California's death rate is very low (much lower than New York, Louisiana, etc.) indicating that its first in the nation statewide stay at home order may be bearing fruit.

Of course, this is still early and only time will tell. And the Governor over the weekend "owned" and took responsibility for the lag in testing in California with a promise to fix it.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:09 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
From the LA Times article:

"Kim Prather, a leading atmospheric chemist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, told The Times this week that she fears SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could enter coastal waters and transfer back into the air along the coast.

"“I wouldn’t go in the water if you paid me $1 million right now,” she said."

What kind of hair-brained, blow it out her ass supposition is that? And she's paid for that.
https://www.surfrider.org/coastal-bl...arch-community

There is still no information on the ability of the COVID-19 virus to remain viable in saltwater,

I ain't buyin that snake oil crap. Salt water is an extremely tough environment.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:13 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://www.surfrider.org/coastal-bl...arch-community

There is still no information on the ability of the COVID-19 virus to remain viable in saltwater,

I ain't buyin that snake oil crap. Salt water is an extremely tough environment.

If it can survive and spread in ocean water then it can survive and spread in our municipal tap water.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:26 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
At this point, they're testing us to see how far they can manipulate us and to what limits we'll allow our freedoms to be curtailed. I see the gloves and masks and sanitizing. The fear that many have succumbed to. Sheep doing as instructed, changing their routines and not clearly understanding if it makes sense or not. No wonder they believed that global warming might be real so easily.
I'm not saying this isn't serious and that precautions shouldn't be taken, only that this event has become an experiment that they've decided to test. And I think the big motivating factor in resolving this health crisis isn't for the health and well being of the US civilian population, but more for the health and well being of the US economy.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:27 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Stupid games stupid prizes.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:13 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Wow... I'm pretty sure a revolution with not be started by ANY stay a home order... My AR15, Sig226 and my HK SP5, will my high-cap magazines are safe.... I don't fear the police or the Army seizing my weapons or my property.

It could be me, but I don't see government as the enemy, but I see them trying to do their best in fighting this virus and saving as many lives as possible.

And if it takes me and others to stay home, as much as possible, I don't see this as some violation of our civil liberties.

Out of curioisty, how many and who would start this revolution?
We are not there yet but we could be. I don't know if you remember the response to the National Maximum Speed Limit of 55 mph. At first people were OK with it but the resentment gathered fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies