Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 08:24 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Then they should have started businesses manufacturing masks, gloves, and disinfectants. And TP.
A group within the HHS contracted for the design of machine to turn out a surge of masks in the event of a pandemic.

O&M Halyard gave the government the design in September 2018. The machine was never made. It could have made 1.5 million masks a day.

There was another endeavor by HHS to make a reusable mask.

An article by Jon Swaine in the wapo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 08:31 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
This is a serious situation, I get that. If I was given to option, either what is being done or the herd mentality, I'd take what is being done now.

Is there an underlying belief that if this virus was treated just like the flu, the number of cases and deaths would be staggering? Are the predictions overstated or are our actions under cutting the predictions? Never in my 60 years of life have I seen the world collectively halt the economy. Never have I seen basically everything from schools to sports to businesses be shut down. No one in the medical field sya they have ever seen anything like this.

This is life altering. It's like somebody took a baseball bat to the globe and knocked it out of orbit. How did almost every country in the world have it's leaders sit down and make such a decision? Did they all underestimate the effects on the economy with global stay at home?
Because we were all warned and did not listen . We are behind the storm -picking up the pieces because we did not board up the shutters. We are not proactive ! We fight tooth and nail about people having insurance-our medical resources are unattainable to Millions of poor. For all the wealth we have in the world - only some benefit- and if one talks about it- we are communist!
The earth has let out its fury and I pray - seriously - that we change our ways. For those who hate talking about climate change etc- this virus is actually helping restore the environment by keeping us put. My fam is essential workers and I pray for their safety- but the world must change financially for the benefit of all.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
A group within the HHS contracted for the design of machine to turn out a surge of masks in the event of a pandemic.

O&M Halyard gave the government the design in September 2018. The machine was never made. It could have made 1.5 million masks a day.

There was another endeavor by HHS to make a reusable mask.

An article by Jon Swaine in the wapo.

3M makes ten million masks per day.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:33 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Because we were all warned and did not listen . We are behind the storm -picking up the pieces because we did not board up the shutters. We are not proactive ! We fight tooth and nail about people having insurance-our medical resources are unattainable to Millions of poor. For all the wealth we have in the world - only some benefit- and if one talks about it- we are communist!
The earth has let out its fury and I pray - seriously - that we change our ways. For those who hate talking about conste change etc- this virus is actually help restore the environment by keeping us put. My fam is essential workers and I pray for their safety- but the world must change for the benefit of all - not just some.
What sucks about this theory is it was global and not just one country. You would think as this virus started to spread, countries ahead of the virus would have seen what was happening and would have been quicker to prepare. It was as if each country did the same thing - wait until it hits their doors then worry about it.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:51 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
When did they start? How long did it take to ramp up?

Could they previously sell to anybody or just the feds and states?

If one government controlled machine can make 1.5 million a day, how many machines would the feds need to make their own 10 million a day?

Old 04-04-2020, 09:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
When did they start? How long did it take to ramp up?

Could they previously sell to anybody or just the feds and states?

If one government controlled machine can make 1.5 million a day, how many machines would the feds need to make their own 10 million a day?

I'm not against the idea. I don't know how much the machines cost to build or maintain or operate but it might not be feasible to have such machines sitting idle the 99.999999% of the time there isn't a pandemic.

Should the government build some hospitals and keep them vacant for when we have mass casualties? What about a few refineries for when a hurricane hits Louisiana or Texas? Maybe some idle power plants, chemical manufacturing sites, or even food farms. Stockpiling essential items and maintaining reserve production capacity is good but there are also limits to where it is impractical. In theory, the DPA is the government controlled emergency production capacity.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:27 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
“Governments don't want a population capable of critical thinking, they want obedient workers, people just smart enough to run the machines and just dumb enough to passively accept their situation.”

― George Carlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
There's critical thinking, and there's listening to man who's audience consists of those of the schizophrenic variety because that's who he preys on...
Trump?

Old 04-04-2020, 09:28 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I go across the street and steal a horse ... I'm kidding. I think all they have is a donkey.

If they didn't have a plan, companies are making plans and executing them ... here are some indicators into what may be going on.

Oil & Gas Stock Roundup: Operators Clamp Down on Capex to Combat Price Slump

What’s Next in the Energy World?

"As global oil demand plunges, market participants will be closely tracking the regular releases to watch for signs that could indicate a rebound. In this context, the U.S. government statistics on oil and natural gas – one of the few solid indicators that comes out regularly – and the Baker Hughes data on rig count, will be on the energy traders' radar."
Its not just the suspending of fuel deliveries, its a handful of other things the company is doing, that, when all are factored in, it suggests they are going to close multiple stores in May.

Ive asked my immediate boss directly, if we are going to close any stores and she said she was not sure at this time.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:29 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:

Ok, so that's enough for like, 2% of the population of the USA, if they are all being sold to Americans. Where are the rest supposed to come from? Most of our nation's manufacturing infrastructure is in China, and they are making masks for the world, not just the USA.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
You seem to be freaking out because they are not conducting business as usual in these extremely unusual (unprecedented) times. Could it be that they are just waiting on lower prices or waiting to determine the volume needed? I've seen it that gasoline consumption is down 50%. Nobody knows what it will be in May because nobody knows what will be open in May.
That has nothing to do with how we schedule fuel deliveries for the individual stores, normally deliveries are scheduled months, sometimes even 10-12 months in advance.

Fortunately there are a few other things I can check and keep an eye on, if they are going to close multiple stores next month, they still have a lot to do between and now and then, and they cannot keep it all hidden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies