Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 11:14 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times

Advertisements

Suicides spiked during the Great Depression, so this looks like an inevitability this year and next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 08:43 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
From The Economist magazine today:

The Italian Nursing Federation said that one of the nurses who had committed suicide had been off work ill, and deeply worried she had infected some of her patients, and that was her excuse for suicide.

In Germany, the finance minister of the state of Hesse, who was said to be deeply worried about the economic impact of the pandemic, killed himself on 3/28.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:08 PM

78,386 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And are records being kept?
Yes, we outsourced it to China.

According to their tally there have been 5 suicides in the USA during the month of march.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:12 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
There have been several deaths reported on various news sources which have struck me as suspicious, with no followup stories, which makes me question them even more.

I anticipate suicides will rise sharply in 2020.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:20 PM

13,650 posts, read 9,711,429 times
The reason for suicide is not the cancellation of spring-break or Easter festivities, but a sense that one has been destroyed financially, and that a clawing-back is impractical. This does not apply, one supposes, to younger people, or to those who have dependents to whose welfare they must attend, no matter what. But for older or relatively-older people, with no children or parents or siblings or whatnot, and thus who stand outside of the web of dependency, there is ample reason to consider whether it really is worth continuing.

Out of more than idle curiosity, I was wondering if there is an opportunity to volunteer in the most stricken corona-virus medical situations, as an orderly or in some other unskilled position. The answer, thus far, is "no". The official organs don't want some clueless interloper, who wishes to do the equivalent of walking across a mine-field. Strange, isn't it?

Old 04-04-2020, 09:35 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I'll say it. If someone suicides they were looking for a reason to do a very selfish thing. Darwin gets the win.
I knew someone who had multiple myeloma. It was excruciatingly painful toward the end. She committed suicide, and I don't think she was selfish, at all.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:40 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I'll say it. If someone suicides they were looking for a reason to do a very selfish thing. Darwin gets the win.
You have no idea what you're talking about so just stop already!

Old 04-05-2020, 05:39 AM

59,030 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I wouldn't want to be in NYC during this period, not that I'm afraid of the Virus, I'd be more fearful that I'm walking down the street and someone decides to jump off their balcony and I'd be there at the wrong place, wrong time! Splat!
No! I have more important things to do with my time.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:45 AM

29,817 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Those suicides will count as corona-related deaths. Gov loves to pad #'s.

Do you have proof of this happening? I would really like to know, because several people have made this claim, and I just can't believe our government would be that blatantly dishonest. Although I admit, I may just be naive in that assumption.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:47 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Do you have proof of this happening? I would really like to know, because several people have made this claim, and I just can't believe our government would be that blatantly dishonest. Although I admit, I may just be naive in that assumption.
It's being reported that any death that occurs where the person tests positive for corona is being logged as a corona death regardless if it had any actual medical effect on the person. So I really wouldn't put it past the government to lie like that to push their narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies