Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 05:33 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Not true.

For most businesses, labor is not fixed. It is variable according to workload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Not true." Didn't you KNOW, we are FILLED with business EXPERTS on here who have NEVER owned nor ran a business!
Listen to all these know-it-alls who never ran a business. Labor costs are indeed variable according to the workload. When demand for the product/service rises, so do labor costs (which of course from a business perspective is a GOOD thing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 05:37 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
A big problem among progressives/leftists is that they see business owners as evil when in truth they provide the majority of jobs for Americans. One only has to read this forum to see the disdain and contempt they have for people who had the motivation, ability, and discipline to start and grow a business. Perhaps there’s some jealousy there.

(When I owned a business, people used to tell me how envious they were of my freedom from a boss. Little did they understand that I had many bosses - all my clients.)

Old 04-06-2020, 10:28 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
A big problem among progressives/leftists is that they see business owners as evil when in truth they provide the majority of jobs for Americans. One only has to read this forum to see the disdain and contempt they have for people who had the motivation, ability, and discipline to start and grow a business. Perhaps there’s some jealousy there.

(When I owned a business, people used to tell me how envious they were of my freedom from a boss. Little did they understand that I had many bosses - all my clients.)
And a big problem with right wingers is they think all business owners are perfect and can do no wrong. I can generalize as well.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:00 AM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
And a big problem with right wingers is they think all business owners are perfect and can do no wrong. I can generalize as well.

Nobody believes that bunch of rubbish. We have a capitalist system that prevents business owners from being too greedy. We have many laws and regulations in place to protect workers from abuse and other forms of harm from businesses and business owners. If a business owner is evil, and all else fails, people have a choice to work somewhere else.

It is the left that promotes an ideology of viewing people as a commodity to be owned and controlled by a tiny elite/the state. In such a case, workers are defenseless against harms brought upon them by those that own and manage the means of production. That is a system rooted in slavery and the selfish desire to control and own outright the collective labor of the people.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:52 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
See how much health insurance or college tuition or day care is compared to 1970,80,90, or even 2010.
See how much technology exists compared to 1970, 1980, 1990 or even 2010.

Annual healthcare costs are driven by technology (up to 65%) and consumer demand for healthcare (up to 36%).

Source: United States Government General Accounting Office GAO-13-281 PPACA and the Long-Term Fiscal Outlook, January 2013 pp 31-36

Sorry, the Enchanted Unicorn doesn't fly around gifting technology to people for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Why don't we just ask low wage workers to pay their bosses for the privilege of working while we're at it? #sarcasm
What happened?

Your handlers couldn't figure out how to tell you to craft a cogent response?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
This thread is all over the place, so I'll just throw my question out there. Don't flame me - I'm just asking the question, not (intentionally) being an instigator.
Hi roodd279, I'll put the nukes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
In 1970 - min wage was $1.60 / hr. That was the "good old days" of minimum wage. One year’s wages could buy an average new car, while 7 years could buy an average new house.

In 1980 -3.10 - A year's pay was "half" a new car, and 10 years pay was a house.
In 1990 - 3.80 - A year’s pay was a bit less than "half" a car, and 12 years for house…
In 2000 - 5.15 - That's half a car in a year, and 11 years for a house...
In 2010 - 7.25 - That's still half a car, and still 11 years for a house...
And now
2020 - Minimum wage hasn't moved - but still - a new ford fiesta is $15K a year. So at $15/hr you can buy TWO of those. Minimum wage was never - ever - that good.
Looking at it that way - all that has changed in 50 years is your expectations. I am trying to figure out why the sudden emphasis on the change. It has not been possible – since at least 1970 – to make a go of things on minimum wage.
Would you like me to point out the fatal flaws in their lame claims?

My father bought a 1972 Ford Pinto for $2,274 I think it was.

That Pinto did not have power windows.

It did not have power door-locks.

It did not have rear-door child safety-locks (granted it was only a 2-door anyway).

It did not have power side-view mirrors. In fact, it only had one side-view mirror and not two.

It did not have power seats.

It did not have heated seats.

It did not have a driver's side air-bag.

It did not have a passenger side air-bag.

It did not have a driver's side curtain (to reduce the potential and severity of head injuries).

It did not have a passenger side curtain.

It did not have cup-holders.

It did not have air-conditioning. Well, yeah, I could always manually roll the windows down.

It did not have a radio. It most certainly did not have a radio with satellite capability.

It did not have a voice-activated computer console that had maps to that spoke to you and told you when and where to turn when giving directions.

It did not have internet capability.

It did not have a rear-window defroster.

It did not have a safety-latch in the trunk in the event you're imprisoned in your own car (or someone else's car trunk).

It did not have cruise-control.

It did not have electronic ignition.

It did not have computer-controlled fuel-injection.

It did not have a computerized emission control system. In fact, it had no emission controls at all.

It did not have anti-lock brakes.

It did not have a collision warning system.

It did not have a lane-change warning system.

It did not have automatic braking.

It did not have halogen headlights.

It did not have a rear-deck brake light.

It did not have side-mounted turn signal indicators in addition to the front and rear mounted turn signal indicators.

It did not have a car alarm.

It did not have an anti-theft system.

It did not have remote ignition.

I'm sure I left a few things out, but you should get the idea.

If you put all those things on a 1972 Ford Pinto, would it still cost $2,274?

Nope. It would cost about $30,000+

With respect to houses.....

In 1970, a typical house was 1,200 square feet. They were still building houses with car-ports. For those who don't know what a car-port is, think of it as an umbrella for a car.

Today, the average home is 2,687 square feet.

And, the norm is a 2-car garage instead of a single garage or car-port, and the garage is not part of the living space. Many homes being built now have 3-car garages.

How much do you think a 2,687 sq ft home with a 2-car garage would cost in 1970?

Are you paying more? Numerically, yes, but you're getting a helluva lot more too.

In Economics, we examine such things.

Does your TV cost more or less than in 1970?

You now have a programmable cable-ready High-Definition remote-control TV with stereo sound and the ability to add gaming consoles, surround sound speaker systems, DVD players and other devices, and it weighs 1/10th of what a TV weighed in 1970 and is 90% smaller in volume while having the versatility to be mounted on walls or placed anywhere you desire.

Oh, and screen size. 70" screens were non-existent in 1970.

You're going to mount that 126 pound behemoth on the wall in your entertainment room?

I don't think so.

Note the humongous giant-ass 16" screen.

Yeah, 16" that was huge.

And, no, that's not stereo, that's twin mono speakers.

Anyway, a TV today costs a fraction of what TV's cost in the 1970s.
Attached Thumbnails
Will /hr Federal Minimum Wage Still be Possible?-1971-zenith-color-tv-16-inch.jpg  

Old 04-06-2020, 11:57 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
That would be the long and short of it.

They're too stupid and lazy to learn how to run their own business, but none of that matters anyway because they couldn't think of anything, since they rely on everyone else to tell them how to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
UBI directly addresses wealth inequality far more effectively than the minimum wage does.
No, it does not.

In typical Göbbels-like fashion, you have committed a fallacy equivocating wealth with income.

Wealth and income are not the same thing.

The term "paper Millionaire" is instructive.

Those people do not have $Millions in cash. What they have is $Millions in assets.

Anyone, no matter how much money they have, can build wealth, but the key thing is they must want to build wealth.

Those who have no desire to build wealth never have wealth and never will no matter what their income is.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
We have a capitalist system that prevents business owners from being too greedy.
I spit my coffee out reading that nicely done. I hope this is an attempt at satire...

Old 04-06-2020, 03:01 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Listen to all these know-it-alls who never ran a business. Labor costs are indeed variable according to the workload. When demand for the product/service rises, so do labor costs (which of course from a business perspective is a GOOD thing.)

The following is only my opinion:

It all boils down to Eat or be Eaten........................

Old 04-06-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Those who have no desire to build wealth never have wealth and never will no matter what their income is.
I don't care if someone has a desire to build wealth I believe every American citizen 18 and older is entitled to a universal non means tested income. This is the richest country in the world there is no reason not to do such a program especially now with the current crisis.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:19 PM

45,220 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Sure its possible. All you need are magic words backed by guns and the sky's the limit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies