Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 08:30 AM

45,538 posts, read 27,139,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What's interesting is that I'm pretty sure NYC has more black folk than Detroit and Milwaukee... but for some reason it's not a racial issue in NYC. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The article explains that at this point in time, only few places keep such statistics by race. The CDC does/will, but they have no compiled such reports yet.
That's BS and you know it. LOL. C'mon man...

I guess they only pursue statistics when they can use it for leverage.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:31 AM

20,318 posts, read 19,902,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I think that some of it has to do with contemporary inner-city black culture.

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...ey4-story.html
From your linked article:

"....“This is how we do it in my city, man,” Davis says in the video. “We don’t give a f--- about this coronavirus.....”

Sure man. As long as you and those who think and behave like you stay in your city and away from my town it'll all be chillin', man.

Peace out.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:34 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,165,041 times
It’s the density of the areas in which people live and then lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
American Indians and Pacific Islanders have the highest rate of Diabetes and it is primarily related to cultural lifestyles, obesity. Genes play a relatively small role in Diabetes risk.

Low income people are substantially more likely to live in multi- generational housing. Low income people are more likely to be working “ essential” jobs that interact with the general public. They are more likely dependent on public transportation. Low income people tend to have more children and young adults living at home. And as we know, there is a tendency for younger people to ignore risks.

Seems way too premature to speculate the role of race or ethnicity vs preexisting health conditions, often related to culture and lifestyles.
This. For the same reason, India is going to extremes to keep coronavirus from spreading. Their poorer people live similarly and many times in worse conditions.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:36 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,128,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
American Indians and Pacific Islanders have the highest rate of Diabetes and it is primarily related to cultural lifestyles, obesity. Genes play a relatively small role in Diabetes risk.

Low income people are substantially more likely to live in multi- generational housing. Low income people are more likely to be working “ essential” jobs that interact with the general public. They are more likely dependent on public transportation. Low income people tend to have more children and young adults living at home. And as we know, there is a tendency for younger people to ignore risks.

Seems way too premature to speculate the role of race or ethnicity vs preexisting health conditions, often related to culture and lifestyles.
I thinks it's mostly diet.

I watched a documentary which studied native peoples in Central America who were herding goats and living pretty much the same lifestyles as their ancestors. They had never known anyone in their village to die of cardiovascular disease, or suffer an aneurysm, and their blood pressure reading were exceptional, and blood work test showed perfect balance of cholesterol, blood sugars, etc... They were the picture of health.

But when people from their village decide to live in the modern cities and adopt a modern food diet, they do a complete reversal. Their blood pressure shoots way up, they become obese and become diabetic.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:39 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,165,041 times
Quote:
Africans are far less mobile than Westeners, which might explain it. If it takes root, it would get pretty bad. Or maybe not. They have strong immunity systems over there because they are constantly being bombarded with all kinds of bugs. Also, diabetes is not much of an issue in places where the diets consist of low fat / low salt foods. Thirdly, compared to the West, and Asia, their aging population is much smaller than ours due to low life expectancy (poor health care system).
Who knows. I do agree regarding their immune systems and eating habits. It would be far better for black people in the U.S. to abandon the majority of American eating habits and go back to/adopt the traditional foods of West and Central Africa. So many of the soups and stews are excellent for the body.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:45 AM

43,041 posts, read 18,205,456 times
Quote:
Africans are far less mobile than Westeners, which might explain it. If it takes root, it would get pretty bad. Or maybe not. They have strong immunity systems over there because they are constantly being bombarded with all kinds of bugs. Also, diabetes is not much of an issue in places where the diets consist of low fat / low salt foods. Thirdly, compared to the West, and Asia, their aging population is much smaller than ours due to low life expectancy (poor health care system).
They also have the highest obesity rates in the US. Obesity is a big risk factor for covid19 death.
80% of Black women are overweight/obese..shocking statistic.

https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/b...lvl=4&lvlid=25

Old 04-06-2020, 08:54 AM

45,538 posts, read 27,139,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
From your linked article:

"....“This is how we do it in my city, man,” Davis says in the video. “We don’t give a f--- about this coronavirus.....”

Sure man. As long as you and those who think and behave like you stay in your city and away from my town it'll all be chillin', man.

Peace out.
I think this typical for more black folk on a percentage basis. We don't like people telling us what to do and we are slow to jump into directives like this that can be inconvenient. Especially if it's coming from authority and perceivably from white culture.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and had made a mental note of this. Asians, white folk - a higher percentage were masked. Black folk - a higher percentage were unmasked, including myself (even though I do the disposable gloves).

Old 04-06-2020, 08:56 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,713,212 times
Quote:
I don't see anything about reparations in your article.

The virus might expose weaknesses in our healthcare system and access to it, and hopefully they will be addressed in the future.
Access to it?

Old 04-06-2020, 08:57 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,405,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I think this typical for more black folk on a percentage basis. We don't like people telling us what to do and we are slow to jump into directives like this that can be inconvenient. Especially if it's coming from authority and perceivably from white culture.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and had made a mental note of this. Asians, white folk - a higher percentage were masked. Black folk - a higher percentage were unmasked, including myself (even though I do the disposable gloves).
Black people also understandably still have some distrust of the US medical system because of things like the Tuskegee experiments.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:01 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,899,290 times
Another reason is that blacks and Latinos don't have the private jets to flee New York city and Detroit and wait out the virus in the Caribbean on their private luxury fully-stocked yachts with private crews. Ah, the joys and conveniences of $$$$'s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.