Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 09:02 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,786,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Been saying it for a couple days, there is a high correlation between obesity (which often leads to diabetes) and death. Unfortunately, unhealthy diets are more prevalent in some communities.
Why then, isn't Mississippi a hot spot?

Old 04-06-2020, 09:02 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Who knows. I do agree regarding their immune systems and eating habits. It would be far better for black people in the U.S. to abandon the majority of American eating habits and go back to/adopt the traditional foods of West and Central Africa. So many of the soups and stews are excellent for the body.
It would be better for ALL Americans to eat simpler.

But the "system" has made it so that the cheapest and quickest calories are often the cheapest.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:06 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Why then, isn't Mississippi a hot spot?
Maybe they’ve done a better job on isolation? I don’t know.

The virus has to get into a vulnerable population and spread around before the death rate will climb significantly.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 AM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't see anything about reparations in your article.

The virus might expose weaknesses in our healthcare system and access to it, and hopefully they will be addressed in the future.
There is a litany of things that this virus has brought to light. I hope once we get a handle on it, we can use this as a lesson for all of things that need to be updated and or changed. We can't just go back to business as usual.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It would be better for ALL Americans to eat simpler.

But the "system" has made it so that the cheapest and quickest calories are often the cheapest.
Simpler is not necessarily better though. Much of the garbage sold is simple. Not that preparing healthy food is hard but one might have to learn a bit.

Just to add...since this thread was speaking about African-Americans or black people, that was the focus of my post. Not in disagreement about Americans in general.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:13 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Lower socioeconomic status puts you in a higher health risk--Namely obesity which can be a risk factor for hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, strokes, etc.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:20 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why? Because they tend to have more diabetes, and other illnesses which makes Covid-19 especially hard to recover from. Would Hydroxychloroquine work? Hydroxychloroquine should not be taken if you have diabetes or heart diseases.

Early Data Shows African Americans Have Contracted and Died of Coronavirus at an Alarming Rate

https://www.propublica.org/article/e...-alarming-rate

As of Friday morning, African Americans made up almost half of Milwaukee County’s 945 cases and 81% of its 27 deaths in a county whose population is 26% black. Milwaukee is one of the few places in the United States that is tracking the racial breakdown of people who have been infected by the novel coronavirus, offering a glimpse at the disproportionate destruction it is inflicting on black communities nationwide.

In Michigan, where the state’s population is 14% black, African Americans made up 35% of cases and 40% of deaths as of Friday morning. Detroit, where a majority of residents are black, has emerged as a hot spot with a high death toll. As has New Orleans. Louisiana has not published case breakdowns by race, but 40% of the state’s deaths have happened in Orleans Parish, where the majority of residents are black.

I know this is sensitive for some people but we need more data as it pertains to race, gender, age, etc. about who is contracting, getting very sick and dying from this disease.

If people with diabetes and heart disease are the most common to die from this disease, why would you deny this group treatment?

One thing is certain, we need to vastly improve what we eat as a culture to fix our immune systems which would cure most other problems....the cure long term is to eat healthy and maintain an ideal weight and blood numbers (which I do btw). Also unfortunate that proper nutrition is not well known in the American population.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:24 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Lower socioeconomic status puts you in a higher health risk--Namely obesity which can be a risk factor for hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, strokes, etc.
Truly - and pollution cannot be overlooked as even things like lead paint, dust and dander from older and unkept rental units and older furniture - and, as noted before, the geo location of chemical plants and industries.

Asthma is really common in the USA - even among the entire population.
"More than 25 million Americans have asthma"

"However, the risk of death (Asthma ) among African Americans is three-fold greater than among whites in America, and the differences widened throughout the 1980s."

1980's happened to be when many environmental regs were stripped down....Mr. Reagan was good at that.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:25 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I know this is sensitive for some people but we need more data as it pertains to race, gender, age, etc. about who is contracting, getting very sick and dying from this disease.

If people with diabetes and heart disease are the most common to die from this disease, why would you deny this group treatment?

One thing is certain, we need to vastly improve what we eat as a culture to fix our immune systems which would cure most other problems....the cure long term is to eat healthy and maintain an ideal weight and blood numbers (which I do btw). Also unfortunate that proper nutrition is not well known in the American population.
Related to this...many people in NYC are Afro-Caribbean people. Coronavirus is in the Caribbean but not as prevalent. My guess is that it has to do with the density of NYC and perhaps partly the adoption of American eating habits as well.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:27 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

PPL are free in this country to make whatever decision they want about what they eat and the choices they make. They are also free to educate themselves about what is good for you or they can choose not to.

I care about how me and my family lives and the choices we make. Not so much about anyone else.

Is it shocking that an easily transmittable disease if affecting people that are low income, typically unhealthy, live in large groups in small spaces in apt buildings compared to areas like Wyoming?

I believe this is the case in Italy and the Roma population were heavily affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies