Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 11:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/disa...ELR5HLv775zLz4

3/4 of a million people. From China. December, January, February. It isn't just our immigration system that needs to be overhauled, but our entire policy on international travel. Good article, worth a read.
This is what I've been saying all along. The notion that Trump shut down travel from China is a lie. It's pure propaganda from Trump, trying to make him look like he did something (anything) to prevent this mess. It's all he's got, and it's a lie.

(I am not one who called him a xenophobe, I didn't even know about it until his base started whining about it.)

I think he should have shut down ALL travel from China, including Americans. Maybe give Americans a chance to come home during a narrow window, conditioned on 14-day quarantine upon arrival.

It's so funny, you guys cry and whine when POTUS gets criticized, but the fact is that he did not do enough to prevent the spread of the virus. The Virus is not his fault, but his inept response, and his lying, gaslighting, and denial that it was even a threat is 100% on him. His claiming that it was under-control is about as credible as when he said he's eliminated the Nuclear Threat from NK. Just empty lies.

I honestly don't understand why anyone idolizes this guy. I get why you may not like the alternatives, but why the love for him? He's a fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 12:36 PM

25,729 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
The West destroyed itself in 1972 when it opened China to the rest of the world. Kipling understood the implications when he wrote, “Oh, East is East, the West is West, and never the twain shall meet.”

As been stated, China is killing the West without firing a shot.
The Democrats threw the trade door wide open with the NTR of 1998 and the WTO China agreement in 2000.
Of course, once the graft and kickbacks began to flow, the Republicans stepped up to the trough too.

Here's the history of it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perman...rade_relations

Now, its time to reverse course, die, or come under the control of the CCCP.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:09 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This is what I've been saying all along. The notion that Trump shut down travel from China is a lie. It's pure propaganda from Trump, trying to make him look like he did something (anything) to prevent this mess. It's all he's got, and it's a lie.

(I am not one who called him a xenophobe, I didn't even know about it until his base started whining about it.)

I think he should have shut down ALL travel from China, including Americans. Maybe give Americans a chance to come home during a narrow window, conditioned on 14-day quarantine upon arrival.

It's so funny, you guys cry and whine when POTUS gets criticized, but the fact is that he did not do enough to prevent the spread of the virus. The Virus is not his fault, but his inept response, and his lying, gaslighting, and denial that it was even a threat is 100% on him. His claiming that it was under-control is about as credible as when he said he's eliminated the Nuclear Threat from NK. Just empty lies.

I honestly don't understand why anyone idolizes this guy. I get why you may not like the alternatives, but why the love for him? He's a fraud.
Quote:
ThinkGlobalHealth, a project of the Council on Foreign Relations, has been tracking the travel restrictions on China due to COVID-19. Its country-by-country analysis of the date and type of travel restrictions shows that in the days after the World Health Organization on Jan. 30 declared the coronavirus outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, 36 countries imposed travel restrictions, including the U.S., by Feb. 2.

“What this data shows is that the United States was neither behind nor ahead of the curve in terms of imposing travel restrictions against China,” a co-author of the tracker, Samantha Kiernan, a research associate on global health, economics, and development at the Council on Foreign Relations, told us via email.

Dueling Narratives

A day after the WHO decision, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar declared a public health emergency for the U.S. for the novel coronavirus and announced travel restrictions to and from China, effective Feb. 2. The policy prohibited non-U.S. citizens, other than the immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents, who have traveled to China within the last two weeks from entering the U.S.

As we have written, Trump was wrong to call the policy a “travel ban” or to claim that he “closed up” all travel between the countries. There were exceptions, including for Americans and their family members and for trade. Trump also has repeatedly and misleadingly cast his decision to impose the travel restrictions as a “bold” move made “against the advice of almost everybody.” Azar said the decision stemmed from “the uniform recommendations of the career public health officials here at HHS.”

Trump has repeatedly claimed that his decision to impose the travel restrictions on China “had Biden calling me xenophobic” and “racist.”

On the day the White House announced the travel restrictions, Biden did say at a campaign event in Iowa that as the pandemic unfolds, Americans “need to have a president who they can trust what he says about it, that he is going to act rationally about it.” He added, “This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia – hysterical xenophobia – and fearmongering to lead the way instead of science.”
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/tr...-restrictions/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies