Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 09:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Last time I checked going to the grocery store and pharmacy was essential. You know, stock up on food and all, it's not like I go there to hang out and socialize.

What am I missing?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...152134755.html
I thought this statement was really naive and indicative of how some people are so privileged they don't have a clue about real life.

Even for those folks that can afford to paying the extra cost of delivery, etc. for groceries, there is a problem with scheduling. Friends who are doing delivery only for groceries and medications are waiting days, and sometimes a week -- waking in the middle of night to book a delivery time for the cart full of groceries in their online cart. That's a privilege that many don't have. And some people can't afford the delivery fees or don't have delivery in their community.

But yes.....
There are some people who were using the Costco or Walmart run as a family outing and that should be discouraged.

My son works at Target and there was one woman who came with 2 kids and they were in the store for 2 hours. The kids were running around as if it was their playground. Target was doing the 'guest services' dance -- but they shouldn't have -- they should have made her leave the first time the staff had to talk to the kids.

I get addressing that. Encouraging people to see if they can get their medications delivered or try to get groceries delivered. But making people feel bad for running errands doesn't help anybody.

This whole mask thing to is a cluster @#$%. You can't find masks anywhere.......and people are judging those that don't have masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 09:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, I get that....but it still doesn’t answer whether it’s better to have short “pop in” trips more frequently or longer “fill the cart up” trips less frequently. I’m thinking the former, for the sole reason that one can stick with self-checkout and keep distances better.
The reality is, it is almost impossible to fill your home with enough food so that you would not still need to pop into the store to supplement that inventory. When this thing hit the news we ran out to 3 different grocery stores (Costco being one of them) and we bought about $700 worth of food,paper products, drinks, etc so that we are in pretty good shape to survive. However, we still need to run out maybe twice a week to buy perishable things like fruit, and also things that were out of stock initially, but that are now starting to show back up on their shelves.

No matter how you try, it is almost impossible to climb into a cave and not go out occasionally, for things like I mentioned and things like presicriptions, gas, and a lot more. We just have to be quick about it and limit our exposure as much as we can.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Many grocery stores here are imposing one person per household rules on shoppers, to cut down on entire families coming to the store. Its a good idea, going to the grocery store at this time should not be seen as a social outing. People are weak and pathetic today, they cannot even handle being told to sit around the house!! LOL I hate to think if there was a major disaster and we needed to rely on the public for anything!

Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, I get that....but it still doesn’t answer whether it’s better to have short “pop in” trips more frequently or longer “fill the cart up” trips less frequently. I’m thinking the former, for the sole reason that one can stick with self-checkout and keep distances better.
I don't know how you'd even begin to get a definitive answer to that question. For one thing, you'd have to know something about the infection rate in the community, and we currently know next to nothing. The one thing we think we do know is that virus load is a big factor in whether you get it or how badly you get it.

Personally, I just assume that everyone around me is an asymptomatic carrier, and I assume that I am as well. And I do my damnedest to act accordingly.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:47 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
I sure hope that they don't forcible shutdown thru's and grocery stores. We'll really see the shelves get cleaned out. My Ralphs near me is still looking shabby with lots of things still not completely replenished. The paper products isle has been consistently empty for weeks now. The frozen food section is about 50 percent low, meats are much less too.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:59 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The reality is, it is almost impossible to fill your home with enough food so that you would not still need to pop into the store to supplement that inventory. When this thing hit the news we ran out to 3 different grocery stores (Costco being one of them) and we bought about $700 worth of food,paper products, drinks, etc so that we are in pretty good shape to survive. However, we still need to run out maybe twice a week to buy perishable things like fruit, and also things that were out of stock initially, but that are now starting to show back up on their shelves.

No matter how you try, it is almost impossible to climb into a cave and not go out occasionally, for things like I mentioned and things like presicriptions, gas, and a lot more. We just have to be quick about it and limit our exposure as much as we can.
I was doing that but learned to switch it up such as substituting longer lasting fruit like apples instead of bananas or putting the fruit to different uses like smoothies. Since this is a pandemic and we are reaching peak, it is a small sacrifice to temporarily make some adjustments to our eating habits. It isn't impossible and there isn't a lot more to go out for when most everything is closed. People want things to be normal and they are not.

The worst thing for my family is we have a second bathroom torn up, and need to renovate before installing toilet, so sharing one tiny bathroom now is not fun. (First world problems). Everything's on hold. Everything is different and nothing we can do but try be patient and at least try to do our part.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Some people are going there to hang out. They’re bored. Target and Walmart, which sell lots of things other than groceries, have shoppers looking at clothes, bikes, toys. People aren’t just getting what they need and getting out, some are browsing, just to kill time.

Same deal at Costco and Sam’s.

A whole lot more than “ essentials” are moving out the door.

Home Depot, Menards and Lowe’s are open.

Most big box seems to be limiting the number of shoppers inside the store at any one time and enforce social distancing outside, while people wait.

The garden centers/ nurseries are opening in my neck of the woods because they sell fruit/ vegetable seedlings.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Every contact with stuff increases the likelihood of contact with a contaminated surface. None of us know who last touched the thing in our hands.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:24 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
I've been going to the grocery store about once every 8-10 days. I'm used to going daily for the most part.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:25 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Yeah I know because we have never seen people go to the store for soda and chips? Smokes? Chew?

I have seen people at the CVS buying hand lotion and candy during flu season.

So yeah we are talking about a society that needs a warning label put on a step ladder to not stand on the top step, make sure all feet are firmly on the ground, etc.

Yeah we absolutely need these warnings because you still have idiots gathering in mass in NYC.

As much as you would like to bash Trump on everything and anything, this is the reality about Americans. If he didn't issue the warning you would be complaining about that as well.

I can totally get why people would be buying hand lotion. Washing and sanitizing my hands 10, 15, 20 times a day takes a toll on my hands. I already had a good bottle of lotion, which I'm using, but I can totally see that being an essential with all the washing and sanitizing happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies