Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 08:49 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Any links to back that up? Or just conspiracy theories? We are not even testing people who obviously have Covid19.
As I said before, people are going to lose their crap when the "official" number of recorded deaths is audited (which is routine) and the estimated number of deaths ends up being 3 to 4 times higher than the recorded number. It will be a conspiracy like no other and a nakedly transparent attempt by the Democrats to oust a duly-elected president.

However, they will be fine with the estimated number of deaths resulting from swine flu (and literally every other pandemic in history), which can be as high as 18,000, even though there were only 3,433 recorded swine flu deaths. Swine flu estimates will be perfectly valid, but CV19 estimates will be the product of shadowy forces conspiring against Dear Leader.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:49 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Even I, at first, thought "heck, it's essentially a flu; mortality rate a bit higher but not much."

What I didn't think through but finally did was...it's an overlay to the normal morbidity rate that is already built into our health care system.

These are additional deaths - not 25,000 people who would have otherwise died this year from something else.

And especially in the US, our health care system is built to handle a normal year of death from all causes...and very little more. There is hardly any excess capacity, because an empty hospital bed and all of its associated equipment accumulates no ROI when not in use. Like hotels, hospitals want to be near 100% occupancy all the time.

So, add 25,000 more deaths to the mix (or more), and you get hospitals overwhelmed.

Add to that the idea that we also haven't prepared well (and I thought most preppers were conservatives, so I'm baffled they don't get this) - blame Obama, blame Trump, blame GWB, blame Clinton, blame Truman if you want - but the result has been that there was no good way to ramp up, produce, and distribute the PPE and other equipment needed to handle the wave.

So the only option left was to flatten the curve. And with a virus that spreads so easily (my God, I could have it right now - and so could you - and not know it AT ALL), plus no good easy test for it, we were definitely on our way to 100K or more deaths. It scared the health care peeps but good.

If you're in a rural area like Wyoming, I suppose it must feel like this is all a bunch of BS, because "no one I know" is sick or dead. And at least this isn't the 20% or 30% mortality rate of the 1918 flu.

But all it takes is one person driving down I-80 in Wyoming and stopping at Denny's to eat - feeling just dandy - to breathe on 20 or 50 people, of which 15 get sick, but before they realize it, they've gone and breathed on 20 or 50 people each. And off to the races you go.

Oh, and do keep in mind that this is a new virus, meaning THERE IS NO VACCINE OR CURE YET, and that makes it quite UNLIKE "the flu" we know and love. I got my flu shot in October; apparently this year's shot is pretty effective, so regular flu is normal to below normal in its reach.

I do think stay-at-home is likely a one-and-done solution to this virus. If there is a second wave, I'm thinking there will be so much pressure to get the economy working again that we may, indeed, decide to ride it out. Keeping in mind that if the second wave is in the fall, THERE WILL STILL BE NO VACCINE OR CURE.

It's a truly unique situation planetwide. A few countries got it pretty right to begin with; a few countries have gotten it very wrong. Which category are we in? If we had locked down tight on February 1 for three weeks, including all international air/sea traffic blocked and the borders closed, would we be ramping back up today? Probably so. But who would have honestly supported that on February 1?

When we're through this, I truly believe that we have to find a way to NEVER, NEVER do it this way again.
In my opinion, this is by far the best post in this thread.

Bold = the bottom line.

Regardless the mortality rate of COVID-19, pretty much all hospitals are treating it as the only disease out there and that is truly a disturbing thought.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:52 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As I said before, people are going to lose their crap when the "official" number of recorded deaths is audited (which is routine) and the estimated number of deaths ends up being 3 to 4 times higher than the recorded number. It will be a conspiracy like no other and a nakedly transparent attempt by the Democrats to oust a duly-elected president.

However, they will be fine with the estimated number of deaths resulting from swine flu (and literally every other pandemic in history), which can be as high as 18,000, even though there were only 3,433 recorded swine flu deaths. Swine flu estimates will be perfectly valid, but CV19 estimates will be the product of shadowy forces conspiring against Dear Leader.
Yes, and all the other countries are in on it too!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2020, 08:53 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Another "Damn Stupid Christians" thread.

Please delete this thread.
Why? He said it, and then he died.

Those are the simple facts.

You are not slow to participate in "damn stupid liberal" threads.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:55 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
How many more people need to die before you take this seriously? I swear some of you have no souls.
People are going to die. It is inevitable no matter what is done. The virus will run its course. We are merely trying to slow spread for now.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:01 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,500,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I guess I can kind of understand the gloating. After reading the comments on this thread, I'm not sorry the virus is disproportionately affecting areas heavily populated by toxic, hateful liberals.
The hate and venom from some of these liberals is unbelievable indeed. The broad brush by which comments are being made against so-called “religious people” are beyond the pale. (It’s similar to the thread complaining about Orthodox Jews, also started by a liberal, only this time, it’s against a Christian church.) Any even semi-religious person who objects to the bias is promptly attacked with an outrage that should be reserved for rapists and pedophiles. (And to think I used to be a Democrat. SMH.)

I agree with the poster upthread who suggested this thread be deleted.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Why? He said it, and then he died.

Those are the simple facts.

You are not slow to participate in "damn stupid liberal" threads.
Because, in my experience, most of the Christians I know are a lot smarter than most of the liberals I know. No comparison.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I am not criticizing the gist of her post. She is entitled to her opinions. But the nasty slurs are not necessary.

Some others on here have no morals when it comes to people who disagree with them. What kind of person would be gleeful that people on the opposite side of the political spectrum are dying? Pathetic IMO.
She and the other poster that ran are intent on lying and disrespecting people with different religious stances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Keep your small-minded liberal vs. conservative filth to yourself.
Then this poster runs in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'd respectfully ask you to not refer to Rachel's beliefs as 'filth'
Doesn’t even make sense. What Rachel spewed toward me in response to a general post was filth. Denying and disregarding my religion and assuming my political stance was filth. Her attempt at a racial attack failed but that was filth too. Her statements were trash, as is geekigurl’s statement in support.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:03 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The hate and venom from some of these liberals is unbelievable indeed. The broad brush by which comments are being made against so-called “religious people” are beyond the pale. (It’s similar to the thread complaining about Orthodox Jews, also started by a liberal, only this time, it’s against a Christian church.) Any even semi-religious person who objects to the bias is promptly attacked with an outrage that should be reserved for rapists and pedophiles. (And to think I used to be a Democrat. SMH.)

I agree with the poster upthread who suggested this thread be deleted.

Congratulations on the change of heart.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:07 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,234,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
We know that the CDC knew that N95 masks were important to prevent the spread of the virus, but they lied to the general public because they didn't want people buying masks that were needed by health professionals. But that is small potatoes.

Five weeks ago we were told by the Main stream media that the death rate of the virus was 3.4% (this came from the WHO) and that 20% of people that got the virus would have long term lung/health problems (not sure were that 20% number came from but it was all over the news). Experts now estimate the death rate is between 0.2% and 0.66%, not tremendously higher than the annual flu. And no one talks about long term health problems anymore because they are no longer of any concern, now the only data I can find on long term health problems is that only that the 20% put on ventilators are expected to have lung problems that last more than 6 months, and not many people are being put on ventilators. Other experts with much lower estimates of death rates existed 5 weeks ago, but the main stream media choose to only report the high end WHO numbers, and mocked trump when he suggested the death rates would be much lower than the 3.4% WHO number, the selective reporting is the lie, the reliance of various government officials on the WHO numbers when other much lower numbers were available is the lie.
There is a reason for the crazy reporting on the numbers. See there are the actual number we have, then there are the number us in Health Care and Epidemiology believe there to be. Because testing is so poor in the USA Health Care experts are projecting that the actual number of infected persons is 2-3X higher than the known rate which is what would push the death rate down. But keep in mind that is all a guesstimate as there is no way to know without complete Viral testing or Antibody testing after the fact.

Just looking at the current numbers for 04/15/20:
USA Cases 614,451, Deaths 29,897, Mortality rate: 4.9%

So the media is reporting accurately from the numbers we actually have as we can all do the math to verify. Your frustration is the same frustration healthcare professionals have which is there is no REAL way to know the numbers currently and even our best estimates are likely not very accurate including the numbers you are using.

If you hear anyone claiming to have the absolute accurate Morality rate and infection rate then they are lying. Dr. Fouci has stated on television that we don't know because of the lack of testing and how deaths outside of hospitals are coded. NYC just upped their mortality numbers for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies