Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 10:00 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It's in the video.
No, it’s not; MSNBC made no such claims. What time in the video did you hear MSNBC state coronavirus deaths over a year? The only reference in that video to coronavirus deaths over a year are by a FOX NEWS host and guest, which MSNBC referenced as disinformation.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:13 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
But as of now when looking at closed cases only, out of 106,262 closed cases in the US, 38,844 have died which is 37%. It is way too early to really know how bad this is with so many open cases. And also the low % of the population that has been tested which is why the cases/deaths per MM aren't really telling the whole story and could be giving people like yourself a false sense of security..
I'm no scientist, but ...

there's a test. 3.6MM have been administered.
about 15% are positive, unless you live in NY/NJ. They bring the total positive to 20%
That's 417K cases positive outside NY/NJ.
Of those positive tests, ~60K have been hospitalized
That leaves ~360,000 positives that weren't "severe" enough to need hospitalization

Then, one can figure whatever "undiagnosed COVID that didn't require hospitalization" you think is realistic. I don't *think* we've heard a death rate above 10%.

I'll admit, I'm confused by the idea I have a "false sense of security". Unless the asymptomatic # is supposedly so high that they're out infecting folks. Or they're under-hospitalizing the positives because we really don't have the space. But that would seem like we're going way down a conspiracy wormhole.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The number of deaths in the last 24 hours is a real number. Those are real people. Surely you are not saying that's fake.
Oh, no. I don't think they're reporting fake #'s, though it seems a few other posters do.

I think the case #'s, they're a couple days behind (time to process test). Presumably, they're reporting deaths actually.

I'm saying if cases or deaths go DOWN by 100 today v yesterday, that's not a trend.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:35 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Exactly my point.

You can't compare a weekly or daily death county of heart disease (or whatever) that you take from a years number and compare it to the weekly/daily deaths from covid-19 and say it's deadlier.

That's outright stupid reporting.
No it's not. Because deaths from heart disease are spread out so they would average about that per day.

The point is, right now the number one cause of death is a highly infectious disease. That's unprecedented in the modern era.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:37 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Chris Hayes = extremely biased nattering nabob
Yes, exactly. He bought his way into MSNBC with "donations" and kissing the right people's butt cheeks. Even in the first minute of the video, he spent too much time trashing Fox News, the last remaining major news organization that didn't fall prey to liberalism. He and his liberal loser friends need to give up. Nobody with a shred of rationality trusts them anymore; only chicken littles do.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:37 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Oh, no. I don't think they're reporting fake #'s, though it seems a few other posters do.

I think the case #'s, they're a couple days behind (time to process test). Presumably, they're reporting deaths actually.

I'm saying if cases or deaths go DOWN by 100 today v yesterday, that's not a trend.
Yeah makes sense, sorry if I assumed to much, getting hard to keep track of the level of conspiracy buyin between certain posters.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:45 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
No it's not. Because deaths from heart disease are spread out so they would average about that per day.

The point is, right now the number one cause of death is a highly infectious disease. That's unprecedented in the modern era.
Maybe if you're using that ridiculous New Math it is.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I saw this video earlier today about how uniquely devastating the Coronavirus is. I found it to be excellent and would be interested in others' thoughts.

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/c...is-82236485753

I'll repeat - it's Chris Hayes and MSNBC. It admits its partisanship, and people like him frankly think whatever happens in NYC is vastly more important than anywhere else in the nation.

1 in 700 NY'ers has died from it - his stat. That'll wind up being higher - about 25K. That's a bad number, but it is still 0.0023 of NYC'ers.

Did he & Brian Stelter jump all in Chris Cuomo's **** for

a) carrying on in a way to catch it (I mean, they're not essential workers "forced" to do unsafe things in order to work and pay their bills)
b) possibly infecting all of them
c) deciding that, even though still positive and contagious, he could go out Easter weekend?

Old 04-18-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I believe I have been over this with you, or someone else who wants to freak out over a 1-5 day number for COVID.

On September 11, 2001, the leading cause of death in America was "caused by airplane crash".

But it wasn't the leading cause for the month, or for the year.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:01 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
No, it’s not; MSNBC made no such claims. What time in the video did you hear MSNBC state coronavirus deaths over a year? The only reference in that video to coronavirus deaths over a year are by a FOX NEWS host and guest, which MSNBC referenced as disinformation.

MSNBC doesn't say coronavirus deaths over a year - that is exactly the point.

They use a graph listing weekly heart disease deaths that are based on a yearly number - and compare that to a high amount of covid deaths in a short time period.

That's an apples to oranges comparison ... which leads some people to make ridiculous claims that covid-19 is now the number one cause of death.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies