Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 10:47 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Let's blame China and the WHO. The best defense is a good offense.
Well, actually though, during a period where I witnessed a French Phd having the procedures and sequences repeated, re-shown - constant re-how'd by an American lab technician, and he ignoring them over and over, causing dangerous problems in the mad cow lab I cleaned, I asked him how he got a Phd in France.

He told me it was easy because his parents were both teachers. He informed me that that was a guarantee of . . . academic success. You don't have to move yourself, your strings are pulled for you.

Hey, the guy had PULL!

The lab tech (Masters Degree) told me that many Phd(s) are Fudd(s). (Elmer Fudd types)

http://phdcomics.com

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 04-19-2020 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-19-2020, 11:14 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
Europe hits 100,000.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1251892574509465601

Old 04-19-2020, 11:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
And how many cases? A million?

Old 04-19-2020, 11:39 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Well, actually though, during a period where I witnessed a French Phd having the procedures and sequences repeated, re-shown - constant re-how'd by an American lab technician, and he ignoring them over and over, causing dangerous problems in the mad cow lab I cleaned, I asked him how he got a Phd in France.

He told me it was easy because his parents were both teachers. He informed me that that was a guarantee of . . . academic success. You don't have to move yourself, your strings are pulled for you.

Hey, the guy had PULL!

The lab tech (Masters Degree) told me that many Phd(s) are Fudd(s). (Elmer Fudd types)

PHD Comics: The PHD Movies - Free during the Coronavirus Crisis
But the bigger issue is that the US declined to use other countries' tests that were made available by WHO, and develop their own. So here we have Germany, who received the information from the WHO as the US did, leading the charge with testing.

Germany is putting the US to shame and the US is blaming the WHO.

It seems people are consumed with monitoring the curve and arguing with each other about social distancing and opening up the economy rather than asking why we are so far behind the curve on testing and where the hXXX are the tests that will help diminish the curve.

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-19-2020 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-19-2020, 11:47 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
THINK and research for yourself. Don’t go along with the herds who gullibly believe whatever illogical base-less fear-mongering.

Several reasons why this global shut down of economies (which is harming MANY) is an overreaction:

1) Each year, many die of flu - mostly elderly with compromised immune systems.
*2019-2020 season flu deaths: up to 62,000 in the US
That’s WAY more than covid.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
And previous years, it shows similar ranges:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/past-seasons.html

2) As The video/testimony of a nurse said in this video, many deaths are being MISREPORTED as caused by covid-19 when they were never even tested for it. This is happening on a big scale.
ICU Nurse Whistle blower: Covid19 is Manufactured Crisis:
https://youtu.be/uGZ-DW5LVCs

https://youtu.be/a2vEPEXJVts

3) Tests have been found to be flawed - showing the same person testing positive & negative.
4) My sister & many others were denied a test.
5) Other countries have offered effective tests but the US declined - this and the above 3 points indicate that discovering the truth about this virus’s threat or lack of threat - is NOT genuinely desired. And all of the fear-mongering percentages from biased news are inaccurate - completely baseless without proper testing.

6) “As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.”
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-con...us-of-covid-19
Yet, my friend in London just told me police are kicking people out of parks/ public places. Why?

7) Sweden hasn’t shut down everything and yet is doing better than other countries.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...economic-ruin/

8) Twelve medical experts whose opinions on the Coronavirus outbreak contradict the official narratives of the media:
https://off-guardian.org/2020/03/24/...navirus-panic/
I'm just going to address point 7 plus one other question for now. Your link is a couple of weeks old, and Sweden's number of deaths is much higher now, over 1500. Sweden has twice the population of neighboring Denmark, and it's people are much more spread out. Sweden has 4x the number of Covid deaths that Denmark does. I won't give you links because you admonished us to research for ourselves, so I'm sure you will want to do your own.

How do you know if it is your side or the other side who are "herds who gullibly believe whatever illogical base-less fear-mongering." (your words). Would you say it is possible that your side is the one being duped?

Last edited by kayanne; 04-19-2020 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-19-2020, 11:54 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Europe hits 100,000.
Many of those are comorbid cases. That's when the person had something else that ended their life, and Flu-19 merely accelerated it by occupying too much of their immune system's energy. They could have had a different pre-existing illness, from the regular flu, to AIDS, to anything in-between. But special interests groups spin it such that specifically Flu-19 killed those individuals. Those groups just as bad as you might say I am. In reality, the numbers are lower, since those individuals died from other factors, and Flu-19 was a catalyst, not the first cause. Also don't forget who published that video: NBC. They're as left-wing as left-wing gets.

Try this analogy on for size. Let's say a man with autism is afraid of talking to a friendly cashier. Social anxiety is a common symptom of autism. Now, what does that man have: autism or social anxiety? It depends if you work (as management, not a cubicle grunt) for Autism Speaks or Social Anxiety Association. Same with Flu-19 statistics.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 04-19-2020 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-19-2020, 12:20 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The graph is clear as to the statistics it is showing. Obviously we don't have a year's worth of Coronavirus deaths yet. The point of this graph is to show that this new disease has quickly spread to the point that after only 8 weeks, and despite mitigation, the Covid death toll climbed to become the second largest number of
fatalities from disease for the week.

It is not claiming to show Covid-19 will be the biggest killer of the year. But right now it is a significant killer, the second highest in the US during the 8th week of tracking. Do you dispute that?

[IMG][/IMG]
Excellent graph. Saw this a few days ago.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:47 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The graph is clear as to the statistics it is showing. Obviously we don't have a year's worth of Coronavirus deaths yet. The point of this graph is to show that this new disease has quickly spread to the point that after only 8 weeks, and despite mitigation, the Covid death toll climbed to become the second largest number of
fatalities from disease for the week.

It is not claiming to show Covid-19 will be the biggest killer of the year. But right now it is a significant killer, the second highest in the US during the 8th week of tracking. Do you dispute that?

[IMG][/IMG]
Chris Hayes VO during the graphic: "... in just a matter of weeks it's become almost the leading cause of death among Americans and it is shooting straight up because it's contagious."

The MSNBC narrative is clear: make everyone freak da fluck out.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:53 PM

17,776 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Chris Hayes VO during the graphic: "... in just a matter of weeks it's become almost the leading cause of death among Americans and it is shooting straight up because it's contagious."

The MSNBC narrative is clear: make everyone freak da fluck out.
You could counter them with the "everyone is gonna starve and shoot themselves" depression that we are going to have.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:55 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
THINK and research for yourself. Don’t go along with the herds who gullibly believe whatever illogical base-less fear-mongering.

Several reasons why this global shut down of economies (which is harming MANY) is an overreaction:

1) Each year, many die of flu - mostly elderly with compromised immune systems.
*2019-2020 season flu deaths: up to 62,000 in the US
That’s WAY more than covid.
I'm only going to address this because it's an ongoing myth being spread by folks who seem to be going along with the herds who are gullible to the point of believing whatever illogical base-less fear-mongering disinformation.

U.S. projected that the fatality rate will be about 1%, which is still about 10 times the fatality rate of a typical seasonal influenza of 0.1%.

Although it is something of a moving target as more deaths occur and broader diagnostic testing is performed, finding higher levels of infection, sometimes with no symptoms, the global fatality rate for COVID-19 as of April 1 is about 5%, although in the U.S. it is about 2.16%. Some experts believe the 5% figure is significantly lower because of doubts about the accuracy of China’s reporting of the cases, where COVID-19 originated.

So no, the fatality rate for the flu is not WAY more than COVID-19.

To ensure that we are all on the same page with respect to what fatality rate means I will provide a simple definition of what it is and it's significance in epidemiology.

Case fatality rate (CFR) — sometimes called case fatality risk — is the proportion of deaths from a certain disease compared to the total number of people diagnosed with the disease for a certain period of time.

A CFR is conventionally expressed as a percentage and represents a measure of disease severity.

A mortality rate — often confused with a CFR — is a measure of the number of deaths (in general, or due to a specific cause) in a population scaled to the size of that population per unit of time. A CFR, in contrast, is the number of dead among the number of diagnosed cases.

Global Covid-19 Case Fatality Rates

Last edited by Matadora; 04-19-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies