Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 07:27 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I would rather trust Dr Fauci and the scientists, despite what Trump, Giulianni and Hannity tout. You know the real expert. Dr. Fauci might be among the most decorated immunologists of the 21st century, and Trump’s idea of an expert is pretty much limited to his mirror. So I am going with Fauci who cautions us on the safety and efficacy and expectations of this magical cure.
From everything I've heard thus far, hydroxychloroquine may help treat some patients and help the cut recovery time in the hospital by a few days. I don't believe anyone knowledgeable on the subject believe it to be anywhere close to a magic cure.

The problem, once again, seems to be Trump's messaging on it. One might get the impression from his press conferences that this is a "silver bullet" that will simply "cure" you if you get covid or even be taken as a prophylactic when, in reality, should there be a hospital bed available for you for your moderate-to-severe symptoms, taking it in conjunction with other medical remedies might turn your otherwise horrible stay in the hospital slightly less horrible (but still horrible).

Old 04-06-2020, 07:28 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no idea how Chloroquine interacts with other medications the most vulnerable population may be taking.
And either does Trump.

His promotion has resulted in the masses inundating medical practices for scripts as a preventative measure. Just what the strained healthcare industry needs at a time like this.
Has it? Do you have a link or are you just making this sh-t up.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:57 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
My guess is that DJT is actually touting Hydroxychloroquine, and the return of Football in the Fall, to maintain optimism among the gullib... er, among his Conservative followers.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:16 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
For me, this was one of the most disturbing things Trump has ever done.

A reporter asked a question to a doctor that has direct medical implications on the American public, and Trump blocked him from answering.

Why? Probably because Fauci's response would directly undermine Trump's claims about the medicine and his campaigning for it.

Telling Americans to take just a prescription-only drug, because "what do you have to lose," is unimaginably dangerous and irresponsible. But is par for the course with Trump, sadly.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:20 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
I feel like both sides are not seeing the other here.

Yes, as a non-physician, Trump should not be advising people as to what medicines they should be taking.

At the same time, most physicians in NYC appear to be prescribing this drug to covid patients based on the anecdotal evidence available at present, so it clearly is showing promise.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:01 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Don't bother TT, these people are a--holes. All they care about is making the President look bad, if people have to die to achieve it, so be it.
I know the mentality as I live in liberal hotbed as do you....I have zero trust in the motives of liberals especially those afflicted with TDS who would willingly allow millions to die if it came to that to avoid Trump getting any credit.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:02 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Trump, advised by Giuliani, has been touting hydroxychloroquine for weeks:

Trump blocks Fauci from answering question about drug Trump is touting - washingtonpost.com
Yep. Trump has privately and publicly pushed unproven or experimental drugs as “cure-alls". Why is he doing this? Why is he creating this dangerous chaos and new conflict of us vs. them? Instead of creating drama, quarrels and feuds shouldn't he be striving for unity or at least a unified message?

Quote:
President Trump spent a portion of Sunday’s press briefing yet again promoting an unproven treatment for the novel coronavirus, repeatedly asking, “What do we have to lose?”
Quote:
So toward the end, a CNN reporter turned to Anthony S. Fauci, the government’s top infectious disease expert, for his opinion on the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine with a sharper question: “What is the medical evidence?”
Standing at the microphone, Fauci opened his mouth — but before he could speak, the answer came out of Trump’s instead.
“Do you know how many times he’s answered that question?” Trump cut in. “Maybe 15.”
A tight smile stretched across Fauci’s face. His eyes, framed by a pair of wire-rimmed glasses, flicked quickly to Trump. He glanced back at the reporter, who was saying to the president, “The question is for the doctor. … He’s your medical expert, correct?” Trump raised his finger sternly, telling the journalist, “You don’t have to ask the question,” and so Fauci didn’t answer it, and the news conference shuffled right along.
Dr. Fauci has repeatedly warned us, that there is, so far, no definitive medical proof that the drug is an effective treatment and has cautioned America that it is still being studied. Yet Trump persists with his dangerous distractions and use of hyperbole over facts.

Quote:
He has put more stock in hydroxychloroquine than Fauci and other leading medical experts, having previously described the drug as possibly one of “the biggest game-changers in the history of medicine.”
But those overly optimistic statements have sharply contrasted with Fauci’s.
Trump is shutting out all the health experts on this topic of treatment, and now is refusing to allow our country's top medical immunologist to speak about it, during the Trump COVID Shows. Fauci has been trying to keep Trump’s statements rooted in fact. To no avail. I'd like to say I'm shocked, but this is Trump, and nothing is shocking any longer. Trump censoring America's foremost expert on this very real health and national security crisis should be astonishing, but it isn't. It is Trump business as usual.

Who to trust, who to trust?

The immunologist who graduated first in his class from Cornell’s medical school, or the lazy oaf caught on video boarding Air Force One with his toilet paper hanging from his shoe?

Dr. Fauci gets my undivided attention.

“The most effective weapon in this war, is not catching the virus....The only tool, but the best tool, we have is mitigation.”...Dr Fauci April 5,2020

Last edited by corpgypsy; 04-06-2020 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-06-2020, 09:02 AM

1,134 posts, read 404,885 times
Well, this is interesting from our local news here in Southern California. Hopefully more doctors will be seeing positive results also.

"Dr. Anthony Cardillo in California said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients."

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free."

Old 04-06-2020, 09:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Trump is a dope.
Nope. Otherwise he wouldn't be where he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I wouldn't believe a word he says. Seems to flip flop on every issue depending on his limited brain impulses.

Listen to the experts. As far as hydroxychloroquine it seems to work for some; not so much for others. Bottom line is that is hasn't been tested in a study for treatment of Covid 19 and anyone who takes it now is playing with their life. Maybe that isn't a bad idea...for some.
Because the truth doesn't matter. It didn't matter to the left when Obama was in office and it doesn't matter to the right now that Trump is in office. I get it, the othrside is despicable but people still need to hold their own house accountable.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:15 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Again,

Did Trump advise anyone to take it without a prescription?

Trump is never clear, on advise or otherwise. It gives him an out and makes him dangerous at the same time. He is just nebulous enough to rile up his followers with intonation and body language yet never commit to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies