Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2020, 12:15 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
What if we had testing in volume ready to go mid-January? You know like the countries, that did prepare.
LOL, yeah, if only we had more tests.

I hear people don't die if you test them. i

Testing just gives you more accurate numbers of the infected and the dead. It doesn't slow the spread or prevent those who are going to die from dying.

How many countries in the entire world, that aren't lying about results, have a lower death rate from this virus than the US?

That's despite the fact that NY is a national embarrassment that drags the numbers for the entire country down.

Sorry guy, your statement just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:20 PM

29,481 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
name 1 person that would say shutting down earlier would have had no effect on the number of lives saved?

What if we had truly shut off all travel from China on Jan 1 - the day after they announced an "unknown pneumonia"?

What if we had immediately put shelter in place that day?

Jan 20 when our first case was detected?

What if we had completely stopped any international travel, except the required quarantining of returning citizens on Jan 31 - when COVID was found in Italy on 2 Chinese tourists?

Pick ANY date, and obviously fewer people would have died.
Well...how about a year ago ? If you want to play shoulda, coulda, woulda, you might as well go big.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:21 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post

Testing just gives you more accurate numbers of the infected and the dead. It doesn't slow the spread or prevent those who are going to die from dying.

How many countries in the entire world, that aren't lying about results, have a lower death rate from this virus than the US?

That's despite the fact that NY is a national embarrassment that drags the numbers for the entire country down.

I don't think it makes sense to compare death rates at this moment, one has to wait until the pandemic has stabilized.
Also, different countries count differently. For instance, they said today that in Britain people that die from the virus in nursing and similar homes are usually not included in the official death toll.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:21 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Funny you asked. What was the Democrats doing in February, you asked??

They were only preparing to fight the virus!!!

The Democrats put together an emergency fund for fighting the virus in early Feb. The Stable genus turned it down.

Senator says White House turned down emergency coronavirus funding in early February

Yeah, that's how early the Democrats knew. It would have been so much better if they were in charge.

You stepped right into that rebuttal and got dunked on. You good?

your reading comprehension is even horrible.

Quote:
Sen. Chris Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat, says that Trump administration officials declined an offer of early congressional funding assistance that he and other senators made on Feb. 5 during a meeting to discuss the coronavirus.

The officials, including Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, said they “didn’t need emergency funding, that they would be able to handle it within existing appropriations,” Murphy recalled
Was trump at the meeting? Is HE the one that said No?

Azar had told them days earlier he'd need to draw on some reserve funds.

We have no idea how many Senators, and from which party, suggested additional emergency funding. We know that Murphy suggested it, we know he gets to trumpet this early position he had:

Quote:
Murphy tweeted: “Just left the Administration briefing on Coronavirus. Bottom line: they aren't taking this seriously enough. Notably, no request for ANY emergency funding, which is a big mistake. Local health systems need supplies, training, screening staff etc. And they need it now.”
But we haven't heard - yet - any other names of Senators that suggested "Hey, let's do a REAL emergency appropriation right now to gather supplies". And remember - 15 US cases and less than 30K cases worldwide on that date.

Now, Murphy needs to also acknowledge what his relationship with the White House was. You can't fight the other side tooth and nail, be a central proponent of investigation & impeachment, etc and expect that 1 olive branch of actual help, before the impeachment vote, would be accepted with thanks.

Nevermind that again, it was Azar who said "we have those funds already".

Old 04-13-2020, 12:25 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Default Sarcastic Face Masks

Husband showed me one site selling KKK hoods as Coronavirus "Masks". Another one selling Freddie Kruger Hockey Type Masks.

Had my own idea of brown paper bags a la The Unknown Comedian from the 70's Gong Show. Also cutting eye holes in an entire white sheet for Casper the Friendly Ghost, or anything else your mind can conceive of.

Making statements against Coronavirus BS. Did not expect this to happen?

Old 04-13-2020, 12:26 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Default Vanity Fair - Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker: Trump Has Caused a “Greater Number of Deaths Across the Country”

Man, when even an entertainment magazine is reporting on the failure of the Trump administration, you know this sentiment is running deep. I guess their readers want to know why they can't go to concerts and movies anymore. That's what happens when government fails.

Quote:
Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker: Trump Has Caused a “Greater Number of Deaths Across the Country”

On this week’s episode of Inside the Hive with Nick Bilton, Pritzker punched back, highlighting the consequences of Trump’s lack of action. “The failures of the White House, of the president, have visited greater illness and greater number of deaths across the country,” he said.

“They were just caught completely unprepared,” he added. “When there was any realization within his administration that this was a massive potential crisis—the president was publicly downplaying it, publicly saying that this is a hoax, or that this is just like the flu, it’ll pass right on by, no problem—when finally he was faced with the death toll and the case numbers rising rapidly, I think you saw there was one press conference finally where he came out and was reading from a script.”

Old 04-13-2020, 12:26 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Yesterday on Easter I did my daily hour or so bike ride around my surrounding neighborhood. This was early afternoon. What I noticed was the large amount of Easter gatherings seemingly on every street I passed. One house where you could see back yard had at least 12 small children playing together. In others you could see at least 10 or 20 people celebrating together and some BBQing outside. You could tell these were good sized groups by all the cars parked in the streets surrounding these homes.

I am sure this was going on all over my city and probably all over the country where people are able to travel to friends and families homes.

My concern is as some talk about opening some things back up in May these Easter gatherings could cause a spike in new cases in the next couple weeks. Which could scare government officials away from loosening stay at home orders.

Thoughts?
It was the same here in some parts of Europe, there are still people who really think such a silly festivity is more important than human lives.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:29 PM

8,137 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post

Lol, you didn't think this through, did you? Korea had testing in mass deployed mid January, early testing combined with smart tracking made all the difference.

You cant't really define the death rate before it is over, especially since different countries have different time lines. But to get you started: Korea has 4 per million (and they are done for the most part), US is about 70 currently, but unfortunately still with a long way to go. Germany is currently at about 1/2 of the US death rate, but they are ahead in the curve time wise.

Sorry the burst your bubble.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:29 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think it makes sense to compare death rates at this moment, one has to wait until the pandemic has stabilized.
Also, different countries count differently. For instance, they said today that in Britain people that die from the virus in nursing and similar homes are usually not included in the official death toll.
I agree to a certain extent, but for the most part the pandemic has already started to slow down. In a lot of areas it has either already peaked, or the curve has been so flattened that it's not going to "peak" for weeks but the peak isn't much higher than where it's at now.

Also, when it comes to the UK, they already have worse numbers than the US even without them counting everyone.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:30 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Id certainly call anything depicting kkk as a bit worse than just "sarcastic"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies