Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 03:21 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
No issue with this at all. You're right, we've seen a wide range of opinions from doctors on this drug, from "very helpful" to "not so proven yet."

All the more reason we should just keep having medical experts at different labs all over the world continue to test it.

But for me personally, seeing that Giuliani has been pushing the drug so hard lately is a HUGE red flag for me.
Whether Giuliani is pushing it or not, if I get sick, I would have no problem trying this concoction with a smile. IMHO the potential benefits outweigh the risk. I don’t care about politics in this case.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:23 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I do think positive things are occurring. I flip through many channels and hear the bad news. And, then, I read my local paper, and listen to local news for life on the ground, here.

My newspaper is gold. The national USA, AP, Reuters reporters write articles so much more informative and so very different from what is heard on the news which is why I am far more positive about the path of this disease in the US.

We are not going to become either Italy or China. And, I'm willing to go far out on a limb and predict national death toll will not come anywhere close to 100K.

It does appear social distancing is effective. In my area, the numbers of cases in my city has not changed, although the numbers of cases in the city adjacent to mine are going up. But, that area was 'heavily seeded' - and people around me are staying home.

It is getting better or at least not getting terribly worse - far sooner than I had expected. And, this is coming from a half-glass empty kind of person who is also a serious Never-Trumper.
I can definitely live with things getting better. It annoys me that CNN -- which used to be the best news source available -- wants to stir up panic, pessimism, hate and anger.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:30 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Righties: If Trump told you to drinking a cup full of hydroxychloroquine would prevent the virus, would you do it? BTW he's got a real big hunch it will prevent the virus. Do you do it?

Great, it would prevent the virus from infecting you because you'd be dead.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:35 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
The drug isn't 'the' cure and shouldn't be touted as such but shouldn't it be considered a possible treatment especially if the patient and doctor agree? The medical people are going to want policy similar to how they practice-with caution as to protect themselves from lawsuits and keep their license. In other words they want cya policy, not practical or realistic. Many patients don't have time for a months long FDA study or approval process so a decision has to be made on the spot by a doctor who is legally allowed to use the drug among other things.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:39 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Righties: If Trump told you to drinking a cup full of hydroxychloroquine would prevent the virus, would you do it? BTW he's got a real big hunch it will prevent the virus. Do you do it?

Great, it would prevent the virus from infecting you because you'd be dead.

If you can't tell the difference between Trump saying he's very hopeful about this drug and Trump telling everyone to drink cup fulls of it... then both Trump and I have apparently underestimated people's ability to think critically and reason.

I mean really, can you not differentiate between the two? Because if you're serious, it's not a good sign for the country. If you're just trolling, then you're just really not helping.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:01 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
come on now, that poster didn't 'demonize' anyone
Spoke too soon, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Fauci is a swamp rat beholden to Big Pharma and perpetuation of the Swamp.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:06 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
I trust Navarro over Fauci.

Regarding........?

Old 04-06-2020, 04:17 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
I trust Navarro over Fauci.
I would rather trust Dr Fauci and the scientists, despite what Trump, Navarro, Giuliani and Hannity tout. You know, the real expert.

Dr. Fauci might be among the most decorated immunologists of the 21st century, and Trump’s idea of an expert is pretty much limited to his mirror. So I am going with Fauci, who cautions us on the safety and efficacy of these drugs while trying to temper Trump's bombastic and dangerous expectations of this magical cure.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 04-06-2020 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-06-2020, 04:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Why would an economist (Navarro) even be a "policymaker" with regard to the Coronavirus pandemic? Does he have some special medical expertise that's never been made public?
It is about the supply chain for getting supplies to the hospitals from suppliers. Namely N-95 masks and the newly produced ventilators. His problem is that he wants the private market to continue to control the supply chain, not the federal government. That isn't how you run a national crisis, plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Because resources are finite and medical experts aren't the only ones who get a say in how our resources are allocated.
Yes, you are right but Navarro is a total jackass that looks like Jack Nicholson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Peter Navarro is an economist, with no medical expertise whatsoever. NONE. Navarro is also a political apointee and has heavy loyalties to Donald Trump.

Dr. Anthony Fauci has been with the National Institute of Allergies & Infectious Diseases for 37 years. He has served under republican presidents Ronald Reagan, George HW Bush, George W Bush, Donald Trump, and democratic presidents Bill Clinton & Barack Obama. Fauci is 100% facts and zero 0% political.

Anyone who has half a brain cell would listen to Fauci over Navarro when it comes to all things coronavirus.
Navarro is good for supply chain measures especially for getting supplies to the hospitals from suppliers, but that is all. Fauci I hold a lot of respect for with his handling of the AIDS virus, in particular in the Bush days. It was covered in the Eighties (a CNN documentary series produced by Tom Hanks) in their AIDS episode. The NIAID didn't test properly and was criticized for being slow. Fauci faced a protest from ACT-UP and when the police were about to take ACT-UP out, asked for members to talk to him. He listened when many (Trump) would just disregard them as nothing but protestors. That is what you need to do.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:11 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
all of a sudden Fauci is some expert.....is this the same Fauci that said we had nothing to worry about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
No that was Trump....
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't think there is a quote attributed to Fauci that said nothing to worry about. Obviously you didn't provide a link so you don't hav eone either.

Fauci -- all of a sudden an expert....lol. You didn't think that comment through either.

In 1968, Fauci joined the National Institutes of Health as a clinical associate in the Laboratory of Clinical Investigation (LCI) at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. So it's fair to say Fauci has been studying, researching, involved with infectious diseases for some 52 years -- lol.

But yeah -- what does he know. LOLOL.
Here you go kids....

Jan 21...Fauci "nothing to worry about"

https://710wor.iheart.com/featured/m...t-coronavirus/

Feb 17...Fauci "Risk of coronavirus in USA is 'minuscule'; skip mask and wash hands"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ds/4787209002/

...now who's laughing at who? google something before you make a total $$$ out of yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies