Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 12:21 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Listen Texas, go to the NYC thread on this forum and read the stories of very conservative members of this website who are crying because they just lost their hunting buddies.
Like fitzy, I think you totally missed the implication of the OP. How's this:

'Has being Covid-19 positive become the latest virtue signal for many left leaning American "celebrities" since the number of conservative celebrities that have publicly come out as positive is relatively small'.

Lots of potential responses, some already mentioned:

- so few openly conservative celebrities that it's hard to correlate
- conservative celebrities generally don't care as much as liberal celebrities so aren't as concerned about 'getting the word out'
- conservative celebrities aren't into using their 'privilege' to purchase expensive tests if they aren't exhibiting symptoms
- liberal celebrities generally are more gainfully employed and therefore have a higher chance of exposure
- god hates liberal celebrities so it's no wonder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 12:25 PM

6,259 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Only American celebs (politicians not included) I have heard proclaiming they have COVID-19 are liberals.

ie. Chris Cuomo, Tom Hanks, Pink, Andy Cohen, Kathy Griffin, Idris Elba, George Alagiah...

Thoughts? Kinda interesting. Most of them are quite vocal about it too.
There's an ugly inclination to want to gloat when the "other side" takes a hit. Trump says something stupid or Biden says something stupid. Fox News gets nailed with a sex scandal or CNN uses video of Italy to show how the virus is affecting NYC. Mouthy know-it-all celebs get hit with the virus and mouthy southern rednecks get hit with the virus. On and on (and on).

I can't bring myself to engage. I can't do it. Too many people are dying. Too many people are sick. Too many businesses are closed including mine. I'm losing money. I'm trying to keep my older husband (who also has underlying medical issues) safe and healthy. I can't gloat about anybody - not even the bubble-headed, privileged, morons who have suddenly become absolutely irrelevant in this country - getting sick. And not for nothing, but I care more about my doctors, my cops and fire fighters and EMT's and health care workers and grocery store clerks getting sick than I do Tom Hanks.

You asked for thoughts. Those are my thoughts. Walk away from ugly. Walk towards the light. Because we all need the light right now.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:25 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post

'Has being Covid-19 positive become the latest virtue signal for many left leaning American "celebrities" since the number of conservative celebrities that have publicly come out as positive is relatively small'.

- conservative celebrities generally don't care as much as liberal celebrities so aren't as concerned about 'getting the word out'
- conservative celebrities aren't into using their 'privilege' to purchase expensive tests if they aren't exhibiting symptoms
- liberal celebrities generally are more gainfully employed and therefore have a higher chance of exposure
The bolded is why I reacted negatively toward the OP's characterization of the liberal side as having the problem in coronavirus messaging.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:26 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,054,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post

Thanks Austin. You are more articulate that I.

Lol at your last bullet point.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:29 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
There are not that many conservative celebrities to begin with, or at least who will admit it. A few country music performers have had it maybe they are conservative.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:29 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,054,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
There's an ugly inclination to want to gloat when the "other side" takes a hit. Trump says something stupid or Biden says something stupid. Fox News gets nailed with a sex scandal or CNN uses video of Italy to show how the virus is affecting NYC. Mouthy know-it-all celebs get hit with the virus and mouthy southern rednecks get hit with the virus. On and on (and on).

I can't bring myself to engage. I can't do it. Too many people are dying. Too many people are sick. Too many businesses are closed including mine. I'm losing money. I'm trying to keep my older husband (who also has underlying medical issues) safe and healthy. I can't gloat about anybody - not even the bubble-headed, privileged, morons who have suddenly become absolutely irrelevant in this country - getting sick. And not for nothing, but I care more about my doctors, my cops and fire fighters and EMT's and health care workers and grocery store clerks getting sick than I do Tom Hanks.

You asked for thoughts. Those are my thoughts. Walk away from ugly. Walk towards the light. Because we all need the light right now.
Oh man... you totally missed the point.

I do wish you the best and hope that this all ends fast enough for your business to survive.

Edit: Wanted to add that I hear you on the bold type in your post. I think I am definitely more than a bit cynical and that can be ugly depending on the topic.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:31 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

I guess I missed the pont too lol. I'm with you, excellent post.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:09 PM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
The country music artists that have been affected is probably where to look. If not vocal about their own politics, would tend to have a more conservative following.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
My post was simply to point out that there appears to be juuuust a bit of an ulterior motive with many celebs when they make public statements relating to COVID-19 diagnosis.
Well, being as infowars is considered true by many Texans your "ulterior motive" guesses aren't surprising.

This may be very hard to believe, but most conspiracy nuts don't think they are! True.

That's the whole idea of it. Your "truths" in terms of world view are different. While this is the truth with most everyone (we all have a POV), the very idea of posting such a thread shows you have a slant toward conspiracies.

Now, tell us the honest truth. Did anything or anyone other than your fertile imagination create your OP thought? Even if not it could have been subconscious.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:52 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Only American celebs (politicians not included) I have heard proclaiming they have COVID-19 are liberals.

ie. Chris Cuomo, Tom Hanks, Pink, Andy Cohen, Kathy Griffin, Idris Elba, George Alagiah...

Thoughts? Kinda interesting. Most of them are quite vocal about it too.
Most celebrities in general are what you'd likely consider to be liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies