Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 07:14 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*shrug*

If people want to try something experimental then who am I to judge, it's *cough* their bodies after all.

If it's based upon shaky evidence then that's not my problem either.

Doesn't really matter what some Jane Doe claims, this isn't mutually exclusive to actual drug trials now is it?

So basically, where is the harm here? I'm struggling to find the problem with this.
The "harm" is possible severe side effects not discussed while touting it.

Take if you want, but it gave me potentially fatal heart arrhythmia that's probably permanent, vastly increasing likelihood of stroke.

That's my anecdotal evidence.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Wow. Now that was a stretch. I mean seriously....we have people violating the stay at home orders all over the place and you're saying that this is going to have a material impact?
I don't think it's a stretch at all. You're actually proving my point - people are already not adhering to best practices. If they incorrectly think that HCQ is a sure-thing treatment even if they do get sick, do you think that's going to make their behavior better or worse?

Quote:
The demand isn't going to go away and is global, one would reasonably expect it's a fairly temporary shortage.
Maybe you're right. What's "fairly temporary" and what is the projected impact to people using it as a maintenance drug?

Quote:
Lastly, for every Trumper out there prematurely thinking this is some sort of wonder cure (largely due to politics) it seems we have the anti-Trump folks out (largely due to politics) trying to poo poo it as much as possible.
That's probably a fair analysis, sure.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:17 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
The "harm" is possible severe side effects not discussed while touting it.

Take if you want, but it gave me potentially fatal heart arrhythmia that's probably permanent, vastly increasing likelihood of stroke.

That's my anecdotal evidence.
.... heard this before, you don't want the vaccine because you think it causes autism.

The only good thing about those dumb enough to refuse treatment for COVID-19 is that it'll potentially take them out of the gene pool.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Here's another case that is very similar to hers:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/florid...aved-his-life/

More and more of these story's will continue to emerge.

I've been predicting a New York Times headline of Trump Saves New York, but now, I'm also predicing a Wall Street Journal or USA Today headline of...

TRUMP SAVES AMERICA

Honestly that doesn't sound much like the MI legislator's story at all. He was much more ill, based on that reporting. Plus, his timeline to improvement is significantly longer - at least long enough for the HCQ to have actually been absorbed into his system.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:31 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
"State Rep. Karen Whitsett, who learned Monday she has tested positive for COVID-19, said she started taking hydroxychloroquine on March 31, prescribed by her doctor, after both she and her husband sought treatment for a range of symptoms on March 18.

"It was less than two hours" before she started to feel relief, said Whitsett, who had experienced shortness of breath, swollen lymph nodes, and what felt like a sinus infection. She is still experiencing headaches, she said."
This is exactly why I have doubts that the drug was responsible for her recovery. What is the mechanism by which an anti-viral drug could work that fast?

If true, it can only be due to the anti-inflammatory activity of hydroxychloroquine. In other words, it treats the symptoms, not the infection. Which is still good....just saying.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:33 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
This is exactly why I have doubts that the drug was responsible for her recovery. What is the mechanism by which an anti-viral drug could work that fast?

If true, it can only be due to the anti-inflammatory activity of hydroxychloroquine. In other words, it treats the symptoms, not the infection. Which is still good....just saying.
The symptoms are what kills you, if you treat the symptoms successfully, you ultimately beat the virus.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's never killed anyone, no one has died from taking the drug in history
You sure about that?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3760572/

"....recent new biopsy-proven case of hydroxychloroquine cardiotoxicity in a 52-year-old female with rheumatoid arthritis. Presentation in this case was of a rapidly progressive decompensated biventricular cardiomyopathy associated with recurrent biomarker elevations, conduction system disease, and possibly neuromyotoxicity. Death occurred suddenly 2 months after diagnosis despite drug discontinuation and clinical improvement."

Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
*shrug*

If people want to try something experimental then who am I to judge, it's *cough* their bodies after all.

If it's based upon shaky evidence then that's not my problem either.

Doesn't really matter what some Jane Doe claims, this isn't mutually exclusive to actual drug trials now is it?

So basically, where is the harm here? I'm struggling to find the problem with this.
Well, I have to agree with this. Personally, if I become infected with Covid-19, I will probably not take hydroxychloroquine, since I know that my chances of beating the disease WITHOUT it are >98%. But if you want to take it on the chance that it will eke out an extra percent or two, go right ahead.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:27 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
B-b-b-b-but.... What about the idiot Clinton campaign donor who fed her husband a lethal dose of fish bowl cleaner
Hey, don't knock it until you try it. So far fish tank cleaner has proven effective in completely curing covid-19. It hasn't been officially tested but the one guy who tried it was immediately cured. In fact he has and will never again have, any other medical problems, he is cured forever..!
Personalty, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't find out that the lady murdered her hub. Read their background, she has been arrested for domestic violence in the past, and has wanted out of the marriage for a long time. So fish tank cleaner can even improve your marriage....

Old 04-07-2020, 08:42 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This drug may show promise, but cons should understand that a lot of this “success” could just be the placebo effect. We don’t know what percentage results from the pharmacology of the drug yet. That’s why controlled trials are so important.
Interesting, all of the many drugs they first tried with no success, so they tried the TD as a last resort and it worked. I guess the placebo effect only works with the Trump Drug?
A Dr in LA said yesterday that every sick patient he tried it on went from very, very sick to symptom free within 8-12 hours of taking the drug. similar stories are coming in from all over the world. The stuff kicks a$$..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies