Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 08:10 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Oh yeah, definitely. A barcode on your forehead that must be visible at all times with scanners everywhere on the streets, in stores, in schools ... everywhere!!
I predict a significant number of people rejecting it as the mark of the beast or the evil gubmint.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:11 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The hysteria will end eventually as the numbers start to decline. But the disease itself will not disappear. Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of "Typhoid Mary"-type carriers will still be moving through our society silently infecting millions more--remember a person can spread this dreaded disease for two weeks before showing symptoms. Many will be spreading the disease not even knowing they have it because we cannot possibly test every single person or order them to be vaccinated with illegals pouring in through our porous southern border. How many will be carrying the disease with them? Even if Trump or other future presidents eventually orders mandatory testing/vaccinating, millions will still escape the order.

I fear this epidemic is with us permanently in a big way now. People can never again feel safe sitting in a restaurant or basketball game wondering if the person sitting next to them is a silent carrier breathing death their way. This is like tuberculosis on steroids. TB kills in years; this kills in days.
The following is only my opinion:
We are living in a Eat or be Eaten World.....have been since the dawn of man.
No different than readying Fido for his dog walk and A news flash on the T.V. warns that there are 2 murder suspects on the loose.
You can continue your dog walk with a firearm at your side or you can remain indoors and let the Fido crap on your living room floor.
Life as usual for most .....life as usual with stinky living rooms for the rest.............

Old 04-06-2020, 08:11 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvPu...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-06-2020, 08:12 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Frank, I hate to break it to you but we are all going to die.
I mean, you could've at least put it under a spoiler-alert tag, geez...

Old 04-06-2020, 08:17 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Yes, CDC still says publicly that if it continues as is they expect most people to eventually be exposed.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019..._1582494216224
Also, to calm "the sky is falling" group, there are plenty of experts who believe that we will see immunity develop among those who contract it and get over it. To different levels of course, but it doesnt seem to be like the regular flu where it mutates each year, its considered to be relatively stable.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:19 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
I recall seeing an article by a virologist on some website that I'm sure half the people here would discredit out of hand back in.. pretty sure it was January. It was early, and it was before this thing had gained much traction. Most of the world was still ignoring it completely as "that thing that's going on in China, oh, hey, and now Iran, too."

Anyway, he said that 60-80% of the world population would get it. That was one of the pieces of information which has carried with me, and there's no reason to believe it isn't true. Not yet. He didn't say it would be all at once, but eventually, the bulk of the people will get it. It really isn't "if" but "when."

Old 04-06-2020, 08:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The hysteria will end eventually as the numbers start to decline. But the disease itself will not disappear. Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of "Typhoid Mary"-type carriers will still be moving through our society silently infecting millions more--remember a person can spread this dreaded disease for two weeks before showing symptoms. Many will be spreading the disease not even knowing they have it because we cannot possibly test every single person or order them to be vaccinated with illegals pouring in through our porous southern border. How many will be carrying the disease with them? Even if Trump or other future presidents eventually orders mandatory testing/vaccinating, millions will still escape the order.

I fear this epidemic is with us permanently in a big way now. People can never again feel safe sitting in a restaurant or basketball game wondering if the person sitting next to them is a silent carrier breathing death their way. This is like tuberculosis on steroids. TB kills in years; this kills in days.
Better go hide under your desk for the next 30 years. I'll let you know when it's safe to come out.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:22 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I recall seeing an article by a virologist on some website that I'm sure half the people here would discredit out of hand back in.. pretty sure it was January. It was early, and it was before this thing had gained much traction. Most of the world was still ignoring it completely as "that thing that's going on in China, oh, hey, and now Iran, too."

Anyway, he said that 60-80% of the world population would get it. That was one of the pieces of information which has carried with me, and there's no reason to believe it isn't true. Not yet. He didn't say it would be all at once, but eventually, the bulk of the people will get it. It really isn't "if" but "when."
Of course, the unknown variable is how much it will have spread among the populace at the point a vaccine is developed. At that point, the remaining portion of the population can get the vaccine and hopefully not get it.

The point now is to delay the spread, both so the medical infrastructure can deal with it and so research into treatments/vaccine can progress.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:26 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Of course, the unknown variable is how much it will have spread among the populace at the point a vaccine is developed. At that point, the remaining portion of the population can get the vaccine and hopefully not get it.
Exactly. He was basing his projection about what he knew of it at the time. Always subject to new information/innovation, of course.

I know a lot of effort is being put into developing treatments/cures/vaccines for this, and I have a lot of faith in what we can accomplish as a people when we work toward the same goal. I think it will happen quickly, relative to how the process for such things usually plays out.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:29 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
The U.S. in general averages 7,778 deaths per day (2018 numbers).

The first COVID death was 2/29/2020.

As of 4/6/2020 at 4pm there have been 10,680 COVID related deaths.

In the same time period on average over 287,000 people have died.

Just some perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies