Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 09:01 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

I normally find that in catastrophes numbers are always reported much lower. In Hurricane Andrew, they reported like 50 deaths. My friend worked in a high place in the Red Cross- more like 3000. They did not talk about the traces of human remains, and all the illegal and indigenous peoples who also were mowed down by the storm. in Katrina the same thing happened, remember? Many washout to sea or the lakes or only found unidentifiable remains.
You know, many will hide and die - the poor, homeless, drifters, illegals. They are there, but not counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 09:03 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I normally find that in catastrophes numbers are always reported much lower. In Hurricane Andrew, they reported like 50 deaths. My friend worked in a high place in the Red Cross- more like 3000. They did not talk about the traces of human remains, and all the illegal and indigenous peoples who also were mowed down by the storm. in Katrina the same thing happened, remember? Many washout to sea or the lakes or found only in unidentifiable remains.
You know, many will hide and die - the poor, homeless, drifters, illegals. They are there, but not counted.
Some good points here.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:09 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Dumb article.

If you've got 20 patients in ICU, all with the same symptoms, all struggling to breathe, all with x-rays that show cloudyness in the lungs, you don't need a test to tell you that you've got 20 COVID-19 patients. The clinical presentation is obvious at this point.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:09 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I don’t know why anyone is surprised that the statistics aren’t necessarily going to be perfect, clean numbers. If you ever really thought that was the case for statistics, you’ve been living under a rock. Samuel Clemens made one of my favourite remakes on this: “There are three kinds of lies: white lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

What’s sad is that so many of you seem to instinctually roll that into your very narrow, low-resolution world where everything is politics.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:10 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I know of one in my area. He died from a head injury (accident). He tested positive so they counted it as a covid death even though it wasn’t.

Begs the question, how many others are like that?
The reality is that this has always been done, it's not just a covid thing. Vehicle speed is one of my favorites, let's say a drunk driver falls asleep at the wheel and goes over the side of a cliff. If they determine that he was speeding at the time, then speed will be cited as a contributing factor.

Part of the problem is, often times you can't quite be sure. How do you know the motorcyclist wasn't feeling the effects of covid and that impaired his reaction time which caused him to crash. The direct cause of death may have been from massive head trauma, but is it reasonable to list covid as a contributing factor? Not saying this is what happened, just saying that often these things aren't quite so simple.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:15 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
more people are going to die from smoking this year than CV.
What's amusing about that statement is they do the EXACT SAME THING with smoking, for the same reason - to inflate the number.

If a smoker catches pneumonia and dies, it gets attributed to smoking. If a smoker has a heart attack and dies, it's attributed to smoking.

You just effectively cited a fake number as proof that another number is fake. LOL.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:17 AM

254 posts, read 145,916 times
The same guidelines for the UK.

For anyone saying "but if 20 people in UCI are dying of respiratory disease its obviously covid" that isn't a good excuse to count the dead as covid deaths without a positive test. Going about it this way ENCOURAGES foul play.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:24 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
I've had a problem with the main test they're using to detect this thing. The PCR test looks for specific DNA. Since this new thing is part of a family of virus that include the common cold, how do we know that the test is specific enough to look at this new supposedly highly infectious one? Has any independent lab confirmed this, or does everyone just copy what the first "test" does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Dumb article.

If you've got 20 patients in ICU, all with the same symptoms, all struggling to breathe, all with x-rays that show cloudyness in the lungs, you don't need a test to tell you that you've got 20 COVID-19 patients. The clinical presentation is obvious at this point.
That's also the symptoms of pneumonia which can just as easily be caused by influenza, or something else.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:25 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
All cause of death claims on the forms are dubious. Always have been.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:28 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunswithguns View Post
If you wanted to get the numbers up to push a narrative and encite hysteria, this is how, its exactly what they did in Italy.

https://www.westernjournal.com/cdc-t...g-contributed/
Some people go to the hospital for a heart issue, or cancer, or something simpler than that. If you are admitted, they are more than likely going to test you for this corona virus. If you test positive, and then later die from a heart attack, for example, they'll either put it down as "corona virus death" OR the media will say something like "the patient died after testing positive with corona virus" - which many can't seem to comprehend doesn't mean that the patient died BECAUSE OF corona virus. And the media knows this, which is why they word things the way that they do. Why don't people ever dissect exactly what the media is saying and what they are NOT saying?

I hate the media so much right now.

And anyone who cites a death as "because of corona virus" when the person actually died because of something else, late stage cancer, heart failure, whatever, is also spreading panic.

That's why I keep asking: "Of those who died, how many had other health issues - what were they?"

But no one ever wants to answer that question. I've been asking for weeks.

They don't have to identify the patient publicly, but to state that a heart attack victim died because of corona virus simply because when they were admitted, they were given a test and tested positive, is not necessarily the truth.

I'm astounded that more people are not asking these types of questions - especially on here where everyone bleats that they 'care about the facts'.

Clearly not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies