Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 04:32 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think we all should be wearing haze mat suits or space suits for maximum protection. Start stripping away items, one by one, from the haze mat complete protection and you are vulnerable. Yes, there is a proper way to wear the mask but the FACT remains that the biggest source of droplet projection comes from the MOUTH through sneezes, coughs and spit talking. Yes....the virus can be contained in a person's breath as particles that exist outside droplets. Even N95 mask cannot PREVENT those small particles from being breathed in. The fact is, if the virus is aerosolized, your nose being covered is not going to stop it from being breathed in.

The thing that can be prevented are the DROPLETS which nearly all come from the mouth through talking, coughing and sneezing. These droplets can then land on surfaces and directly into the face of another person if close enough.

Yes. There is a proper way to wear these mask and they were designed for a specific purpose. However, what is the CURRENT PROBLEM that we are trying to solve with the mask and the public wearing them? It's the projecting out of the virus in droplets. There is no protection for aerosolized virus short of haze mat suits.
What in the ever loving F are you even talking about?

Keep in mind that was a rhetorical question, clearly we all know that you have no idea what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 04:41 PM

11,767 posts, read 5,780,104 times
OMG - I've seen people come up with stupid reasons before - but this takes the cake with your covering for this person's ignorance in how to wear a mask.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:26 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,248 times
Quote:
Something else you are also ignoring is that its a STILL PHOTO!!!! You don't KNOW, from the photo, if she had adjusted the mask for some momentary reason. If I took a picture of you at some point where you did not have your mask on properly, but 99% of the time you do, I am misrepresenting you with a simple photo of a moment in time where you are not wearing it correctly. I wore a mask when going to the store early this morning. When I was outside the store and no one was around....I lowered the mask below my nose. Before I entered the store I raised it over the bridge of my nose. I had an N95 mask and its harder to breath with those on....so I lowered it when I was not around anyone.

There was simply a rush to judgment of this individual by people who are hell bent on rushing to judgment to score some king of political point.
Yes, she might have lowered the mask for a moment and normally has it on properly. Your defense of her is that she had it on properly as shown in the photo and even if she wasn't, covering the nose isn't too important, two patently absurd positions. You can just say you reacted emotionally to defend a black person and drop it.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:42 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
The mask she is wearing is not going to prevent her from breathing in airborne virus particles. Wearing such a mask prevents the projecting out of droplets containing the virus from sneezes and coughs by the PERSON WEARING IT. The way she is wearing it suffices in that regard.

I see her mouth covered as well as nostrils. Maybe the idiots are the ones who do not understand the purpose of the general public wearing masks. It's not to preventing airborne contamination, its to prevent droplets from coughs, sneezes and spit talkers from landing beyond the sender and landing on surfaces or into peoples faces.

You only pointed to this person because she is liberal and black or black and liberal.....take your pick.
These masks work BOTH ways.
And they won't work effectively EITHER way if the nose is not covered.
You seem to think that the nose does not expel stuff, but I assure you IT CAN and DOES.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:49 PM

15,817 posts, read 6,523,439 times
The non-surgical masks are ~95% effective in preventing the emission of aerosols/droplets, but they are only ~30% effective at preventing the intake of the same. The way she is wearing it is probably good enough for controlling most emissions, unless she nose sneezes. But it does demonstrate the need for some public service education messages about how to better handle and wear masks.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:05 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The non-surgical masks are ~95% effective in preventing the emission of aerosols/droplets, but they are only ~30% effective at preventing the intake of the same. The way she is wearing it is probably good enough for controlling most emissions, unless she nose sneezes. But it does demonstrate the need for some public service education messages about how to better handle and wear masks.
Can you cite a clinical trial analyzing their efficacy?

Here is one:

According to a Sept 3, 2019 article in The Journal of the American Medical Association, surgical masks provide about the same protection to medical personnel in preventing influenza contagion as N95 masks!

REF: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2749214

"N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza in Health Care Personnel"

"Question Is the use of N95 respirators or medical masks more effective in preventing influenza infection among outpatient health care personnel in close contact with patients with suspected respiratory illness?

Findings In this pragmatic, cluster randomized clinical trial involving 2862 health care personnel, there was no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza among health care personnel with the use of N95 respirators (8.2%) vs medical masks (7.2%).

Meaning As worn by health care personnel in this trial, use of N95 respirators, compared with medical masks, in the outpatient setting resulted in no significant difference in the rates of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

Is there any reason to believe that SARS-Cov2 will behave any differently?

Old 04-08-2020, 08:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
On the subject of wearing masks: "I don't know. Somehow, I don't see it for myself. I just don't." - President Donald Trump

If the president doesn't feel like wearing one at all, what is the big deal about this woman wearing one only over her mouth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies