Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 03:09 PM

27,223 posts, read 46,883,952 times

Advertisements

With the Coronavirus going on, I expected the rules to be changed, not just for gay people but also for Europeans who lived here for over a decade or perhaps, over 15 or 20 years.

The Country I am from never had any case until years later after we had left, and I believe it was one case.

Gay people have a higher risk on HIV and other deceases, per the health department so why are gays allowed to give blood and people from Europe who lived here for decades are not allowed.
I understand if a person lived or visited a farm, that could make a difference but not many people from the Netherlands lived or visited a farm.

My entire family want to help by donating blood. Even the kids who came here at a very yours age and now are in their twenties and thirties, can’t give blood.

That sounds kind of crazy...we want to help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 03:15 PM

17,454 posts, read 12,403,757 times
Yeah same here. 42 and I can't give blood because my family was stationed in Germany on an air force base during the mad cow disease kerfuffle.
https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...-material.html

But this is why:
"There is no test for vCJD in humans that could be used to screen blood donors and to protect the blood supply"
HIV can be screened.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:03 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,101,135 times
The blood from over there is different.
It's left hand blood and it's metric.
It's not compatible.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:25 PM

17,684 posts, read 17,889,169 times
I believe is has to do with the mad cow outbreak from the 90s. I was stationed in Italy from 1994-1996 and I also cannot donate blood. It’s out of extreme caution that they make such restrictions to protect those who will be receiving the blood. This is a byproduct of when AIDS hit the blood transfusion patients back in the 80s. More strict requirements on blood donors were made after numerous people contracted AIDS through transfusions.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...-material.html

Old 04-07-2020, 05:44 PM

30,445 posts, read 23,903,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
With the Coronavirus going on, I expected the rules to be changed, not just for gay people but also for Europeans who lived here for over a decade or perhaps, over 15 or 20 years.

The Country I am from never had any case until years later after we had left, and I believe it was one case.

Gay people have a higher risk on HIV and other deceases, per the health department so why are gays allowed to give blood and people from Europe who lived here for decades are not allowed.
I understand if a person lived or visited a farm, that could make a difference but not many people from the Netherlands lived or visited a farm.

My entire family want to help by donating blood. Even the kids who came here at a very yours age and now are in their twenties and thirties, can’t give blood.

That sounds kind of crazy...we want to help...
It may depend on what state you're trying to donate blood in.

I lived in Germany for 3 years.

When I lived in Seattle after that, WA state had no problems taking my blood. They were delighted because it's A -. They really wanted it.

Fast forward, living in Miami. Red Cross van pulls up outside of work, looking for donations. I hate needles, but I remember how much WA really wanted my blood...so, I figure I'll do it this one last time. Go in, they start the interview questions, and they get to:

"Have you lived in any of the following countries between this time and that time?"

My answer was, "Yes, I have." I lived in Germany between "this time and that time".

Despite how much they, too, really wanted my A- blood, the state of FL said, "Nope. Not gonna happen."

The reason: Because of mad cow disease.

Fricken mad cow disease.

I did not, and have never had mad cow disease, but because I had the audacity to eat meat in Germany during this time and that time, they would not take the risk that despite it had been over a decade since I lived in Germany, I "might" still be able to get it.

Some states will take your blood, others will not.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:49 PM

17,454 posts, read 12,403,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It may depend on what state you're trying to donate blood in.

I lived in Germany for 3 years.

When I lived in Seattle after that, WA state had no problems taking my blood. They were delighted because it's A -. They really wanted it.

Fast forward, living in Miami. Red Cross van pulls up outside of work, looking for donations. I hate needles, but I remember how much WA really wanted my blood...so, I figure I'll do it this one last time. Go in, they start the interview questions, and they get to:

"Have you lived in any of the following countries between this time and that time?"

My answer was, "Yes, I have." I lived in Germany between "this time and that time".

Despite how much they, too, really wanted my A- blood, the state of FL said, "Nope. Not gonna happen."

Fricken mad cow disease.

I did not, and have never had mad cow disease, but because I had the audacity to eat meat in Germany during this time and that time, they would not take the risk that despite it had been over a decade since I lived in Germany, I "might" still be able to get it.

The guidelines are not set by state. I live in WA and discussed the same thing with the phlebotomist when I was having some blood drawn for testing. I'm guessing they just neglected to ask you when you donated in Seattle and you didn't volunteer the info. Every once in awhile there was a blood drive at work and they wouldn't mention anything about that restriction, but I brought it up and they said they couldn't take it.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:50 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,175,080 times
I don't know. I can't donate because I lived in the UK for a while as a kid. I'm a relatively rare B- though, so their loss.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:59 PM

30,445 posts, read 23,903,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The guidelines are not set by state. I live in WA and discussed the same thing with the phlebotomist when I was having some blood drawn for testing. I'm guessing they just neglected to ask you when you donated in Seattle and you didn't volunteer the info. Every once in awhile there was a blood drive at work and they wouldn't mention anything about that restriction, but I brought it up and they said they couldn't take it.
Hmm. That's interesting. I remember that they, in WA state, also interviewed me before I was allowed to donate, along with measuring the iron in my blood, which I almost failed. They never asked that question even though they were reading from a sheet of paper with the interview questions on it.

I didn't volunteer the information because I had no idea that was even something I had to tell anyone. When I went to the van in Miami, and they said "No", I was incredulous as to the reason why, because, again, I had no idea that was even something anyone would be concerned about.

Hopefully WA state has better interview questions by now, since they clearly missed it with me.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:10 AM

29,233 posts, read 22,501,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The blood from over there is different.
It's left hand blood and it's metric.
It's not compatible.
I heard it was too blue for Americans.

Just kidding. I'm sorry you can't donate, bentlebee.

Blood donation is a very patriotic thing to do, and I appreciate your efforts a lot as a veteran.
Without folks like you, a lot more of my old pals in the military could have died in Vietnam.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:14 AM

27,511 posts, read 13,731,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Fricken mad cow disease.

Mad Cow disease dated back to the mid 80's throigh tp early 90's and it only affected a few people, and it has not gone on to be a major source of concern in relation to that generation.

Furthmore an outbreak of foot and mouth disease in the UK in 2001 saw over 6 million cows and sheep destroyed and burned.

The UK now has totally fresh live stock and some of the strictest reules and regulations in the world, which make British meat some of the safetst in the world.

2001 United Kingdom foot-and-mouth outbreak - Wikipedia

The US seens to be going over the top by banning blood from those who have lived their decades, but that's up to the US Authorities.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies