Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 01:33 PM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times

Advertisements

just don't walk around with a handgun drawn and pointed at someone while you're wearing a mask and you should be ok...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 01:34 PM

153 posts, read 83,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
just don't walk around with a handgun drawn and pointed at someone while you're wearing a mask and you should be ok...
Apparently not see above

Old 04-08-2020, 01:54 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times
Naturally, the ones who don't have to be concerned with another culture's struggles gloss over and make light of a very valid fear. Even before COVID-19 I struggled with where and when I should wear my merino wool balaclava (merino wool is quite awesome). Let's not forget the hoodie issues a few years ago. Short memories?

It is easy to dismiss something that doesn't affect you. And when you dismiss someone else's struggle, you are again asserting that long-standing social privilege to do so, as if you know more about the subject than the individuals that are the target of the subject matter.

Would anyone wearing a full face mask raise antennae? Sure, but some more than others. That is ALL the article is saying. Black men have to tread lighter on certain things than white men. And let's not kid ourselves into thinking that hasn't been the case sense the first slave ship docked on these shores.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:31 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candirockstar View Post
Watch the video of the Illinois cop kicking 2 black men out of Walmart for wearing what are clearly surgical masks. NOTE IN THE VIDEO OTHER PEOPLE ARE WEARING MASKS.

https://youtu.be/8qHyaRwoU3Q
Aka maybe that's not why they were asked to leave. Officer seemed quite professional about the whole thing. Kept cool, let them have their rant, kept them moving without confronting. Of course if that is why they were asked to leave it's fed up but there's nothing in that video that would substantiate the claim and plenty that would make me question it.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Aka maybe that's not why they were asked to leave. Officer seemed quite professional about the whole thing. Kept cool, let them have their rant, kept them moving without confronting. Of course if that is why they were asked to leave it's fed up but there's nothing in that video that would substantiate the claim and plenty that would make me question it.
Again can no one read? The police department says the officer was "mistaken" on the store's policy. Of course that fails to explain why he only targeted them or why he felt the need to have his hand on his gun. But of course you people will excuse anything because you know it will never happen to you.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:03 PM

23,453 posts, read 12,481,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candirockstar View Post
Did you not read the entire article?
I was commenting on the video, which you already knew.
In the video the guy that was filming said nothing about the cop telling them to take off the masks. He did, however, say that the cop had told him that he could not video tape, which the guy continued to do.

Quote:
Do you know the law? The police department ADMITTED that the officer told them they could not wear masks and that that was 100% WRONG.
What was wrong was the cop had said wearing a mask violated a city ordinance. It was not a city ordinance that prohibits wearing a mask, it violates state law to wear a mask in public and in stores. So yes, they were violating state law by wearing masks, and, violating state law by video taping in public without asking the other shoppers in the store if they were okay with being filmed. (perhaps you should be asking yourself the "do you know the law" question..yeah, your snark attempt backfired on you)

From the article .....
"....the officer who approached them and said a Wood River city ordinance prohibits people from wearing masks in businesses."

"The officer told the two a city ordinance prohibited the masks. A city ordinance does not exist which would prohibit the two from wearing a mask. An Illinois law does prohibit the wearing of a mask, hood, or device to conceal the identity of the wearer from a peace officer with the intent to conceal his or her identity from a peace officer in which any portion of the person’s face is hidden, concealed, or covered on any public way, public place, or property, or on any private property, without first having obtained the written permission from the owner or occupier of the property."

"Wood River Police Chief Brad Wells said...adding the incident took place before there were a lot of people wearing surgical masks in public."

Quote:
Also it is NOT illegal to film on duty police officers. Additionally, Walmart was not even involved in this debacle, technically. THE POLICE OFFICER FOLLOWED THEM INTO THE STORE.
I never said it was illegal to tape officers who are on duty, I said "people".
Are you saying there were no people , who were not cops, walking around inside the store?
That they did not capture the images, and possibly some conversation, of those people?
Who said the cop followed them into the store?
Apparently he tried to ID them but they refused.
Even if he did follow them into the store, he had told them they couldn't tape, which they continued to do.
He told them it was illegal to wear the masks, which they continued to do... well, up until the time the cop had stopped following them.

Are you saying that they specifically tried to bait the cop?

How many of the other customers do you see on that video who were wearing masks?
I saw only one other, an older white woman. And guess what, the cop stopped walking behind the guy taking the video to speak with her ... probably telling her she couldn't wear her mask in the store, too.

Anyway, apparently the guy in the video did file a complaint. We will have to wait and see what comes of it. And, I would be interested to know IF the cop told that white woman to take her mask off. If he did then he was not singling out the guy taking the video. And, it would be good to know if at the time of this incident the governor had relaxed the state law about wearing masks in public, in stores, etc. along with making sure the police departments around the state were aware of it.

So, get back to us with more info after the investigation is complete.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:07 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
We could sell a bunch of masks that say:

"Don't shoot!! I'm social distancing!!"

Print it in big bold letters so you can see it 50 feet away. Something like that.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:09 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
In my area, the first group that I saw wearing face masks - homemade or otherwise - were people of color. One of my customers, a retired nurse of African descent, is making masks for anyone who wants one.

This story is, in my opinion, just another attempt by a social justice warrior to foment racial discord.
I AGREE! Just another part of the DEMS' Playbook to see what, IF ANYTHING sticks! Page 29, No.67, which reads, in part: all whites and all Republicans are racist, by definition! Pass it on and repeat, repeat, repeat!

Old 04-08-2020, 03:12 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If you are running around with a medical version, there will be likely be no issue. That probably also goes for the kind where they have elastic or hair ties hooking them to their ears. I will say, some homemade mask material choices are a little eyeball raising, and especially when that is bandana style tied around the face I can see where there might be problems.

My sister told her boys to be smart and make sure they didn’t accidentally use gang colors or something with a threatening tone to it - wise advise for all.
I was informed today that my Lone Ranger mask didn't meet the standards.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:15 PM

Firstly, you do not have to ID yourself to a cop if you're not being detained, secondly what is there to investigate? There is no city ordinance to prevent people from wearing surgical masks and no store policy ACCORDING TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT. The officer was wrong period and the fact he was walking with his hand on his gun when these men had their backs to him leaving is FRIGHTENING TO SAY THE LEAST. The only reason a camera was even pulled was because THE OFFICER CLAIMED THEY WERE BREAKING A NON EXISTENT POLICY. The officer CLAIMED STORE POLICY AND STORE POLICY ALONE AS REASON FOR THEM BEING ASKED TO LEAVE WALMART. Smart of him to turn to the white lady wearing the mask even though she made no move to remove it or leave as he was zoned into his targets. AGAIN WHAT ARE YOU DEFENDING MISCONDUCT WAS ALREADY ADMITTED ON THE PART OF THE DEPARTMENT? If they broke any laws by incidentally filming someone they'd be in custody. Again you people are so predictable.

Stop backtracking because you clearly didn't read the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies